Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
There's a mention on the Amazon forum that there may have been copyright issues. Basically, Conde Nast bought some copyright on old material which they weren't going to republish and sued.

I thought that was about the 2006 (or somewhat near that date) reference to his old Blackmask site concerning the Doc Savage ebooks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:08 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
There's a mention on the Amazon forum that there may have been copyright issues. Basically, Conde Nast bought some copyright on old material which they weren't going to republish and sued.
That would not cause all the related sites to go down. It also doesn't explain why the guy isn't answering email or on Twitter.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That would not cause all the related sites to go down. It also doesn't explain why the guy isn't answering email or on Twitter.

I agree, although I wonder why - all those years ago - the change from the Blackmask name (and the customers and word-of-mouth concerning that name) and then the change to Munseys.

As a customer way back then, I bought a set of CDs from him, which I still have. Of course, that was before there was any controversy concerning copyright. I had no idea that the Doc Savage titles were in conflict with copyright. This was probably back in 2004/2005 that I bought those CDs.

It's been quite a long time since I last visited Munseys, so I have no idea when it even went down.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I agree, although I wonder why - all those years ago - the change from the Blackmask name (and the customers and word-of-mouth concerning that name) and then the change to Munseys.

As a customer way back then, I bought a set of CDs from him, which I still have. Of course, that was before there was any controversy concerning copyright. I had no idea that the Doc Savage titles were in conflict with copyright. This was probably back in 2004/2005 that I bought those CDs.

It's been quite a long time since I last visited Munseys, so I have no idea when it even went down.
He was also an erotica and pulp re-publisher (this is how he came into conflict on the Doc Savage titles). As I recall he was using Blackmask and munsey's at the same time he was using Silk Pagoda and other site names.

He was also Olympia Press, for example. That Twitter account ended in May 2015:
https://twitter.com/olympiapress

Note that the site is also down.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the additional info on that, Nate.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
became vice president
Funny.

But that's not really a death sentence. It's more like being put in suspended animation. As recently as George Herbert Walker Bush, a VP has become President.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Maybe most of you know this, but you can get detailed information on websites--including ownership--at whois.com, then selecting "whois" on the menu near the top of the page. But, to understand most of the text, you definitely need to know Internet terminology.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Maybe most of you know this, but you can get detailed information on websites--including ownership--at whois.com, then selecting "whois" on the menu near the top of the page. But, to understand most of the text, you definitely need to know Internet terminology.

That domain name apparently no longer exists:

"The domain munseys.com may be for sale. Click here for details."
Old 04-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

More [public] info:

Whois Record ( last updated on 2016-04-25 )
Domain Name: MUNSEYS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 686276279_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.domainsite.com
Registrar URL: http://www.domainsite.com
Updated Date: 2016-04-13T00:56:51Z
Creation Date: 2006-11-27T05:29:13Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2021-11-27T05:29:13Z
Registrar: DomainSite, Inc.
Registrar IANA ID: 466
Reseller:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Whois Agent
Registrant Organization: Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Registrant Street: PO Box 639
Registrant City: Kirkland
Registrant State/Province: WA
Registrant Postal Code: 98083
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1 4252740657
Registrant Fax: +1 4259744730
Registrant Email:
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Whois Agent
Admin Organization: Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Admin Street: PO Box 639
Admin City: Kirkland
Admin State/Province: WA
Admin Postal Code: 98083
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1 4252740657
Admin Fax: +1 4259744730
Admin Email:
Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Whois Agent
Tech Organization: Whois Privacy Protection Service, Inc.
Tech Street: PO Box 639
Tech City: Kirkland
Tech State/Province: WA
Tech Postal Code: 98083
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1 4252740657
Tech Fax: +1 4259744730
Tech Email:
Name Server: ns1bdg.name.com
Name Server: ns2qvz.name.com
Name Server: ns3jnr.name.com
Name Server: ns4fmw.name.com
DNSSEC: Unsigned Delegation
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.1 7203101849
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/

Interested in this domain name?
It may be for sale.
http://name.com/domain-offer?d=munseys.com

-----------------

Munseys.com is for sale!

The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-25-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Munseys.com is for sale!

The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale.
Sale??? I'm interested. I have a ton bananas and Amazon Coins I can part with (and if I have to, I have a stash of tuna in my prepper bug out kit I can use to sweeten the deal)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #26
LolaMilano
LolaMilano began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post What a Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I could find some words for Conde Nast that aren't in the unabridged dictionary. They went after Black Mask before which caused the site to be revamped. Gluttony (whether in food or data) is not becoming.
I so agree; they just want to *hoard* these treasures...?! I'm disgusted.

If I were a dead author, I would want my books to be read, forever.

We are missing out on so much history, research, and lingo!

So; I ended up here, looking for Munsey's. A blog linked me to it, recommending a book called "The Whip Hand".

[request for pirated copies of books deleted]

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-26-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: deleted attachment
LolaMilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #27
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

In-copyright attachment deleted. Request deleted.

We take copyright seriously at MobileRead. Post unauthorised copies copies again, or ask for unauthorised copies, and you'll be banned.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #28
LolaMilano
LolaMilano began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, LOUD AND CLEAR - but just so I'm clear: I didn't ask for *pirated copies*, I asked for resources to places where I could find cool old pulp books. OR the books themselves. I was requesting "lingo", and "plot devices" from the Film Noir era.

And yes, I uploaded a PDF - but it's not copyrighted material; there is a newer book, with the same name, that is written by mothers... goes a little something like:
"From a young mother stealing back her child to a disillusioned lover seeking revenge with a potion, from house cleaners contemplating a life of crime to a woman parting ways with Jesus, these are stories of people living on the edge."

That's a totally different "The Whip Hand".

Re: my pdf
"Notice: This Book is published by Historical Books Limited (www.publicdomain.org.uk) as a Public Domain Book, if you have any inquiries, requests or need any help you can just send an email to publications@publicdomain.org.uk This book is found as a public domain and free book based on various online catalogs, if you think there are any problems regarding copyright issues please contact us immediately via DMCA@publicdomain.org.uk"

Anyway, the internet sucks, now.
I don't know how to use forums, and my FIRST TIME POSTING, I get THE WHIP.
LolaMilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The "Whip Hand" you are referring to is no doubt the one written by W. Franklin Sanders [Charles Willeford], and published by Fawcett Gold Medal in 1961.

This is an important noir novel and Willeford is recognized as an important writer in that genre.

You can BUY the ebook from Amazon.com for $2.49

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Whip-Hand-W-F...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whip-hand-book-cover.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	168638  
Old 12-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The "Whip Hand" you are referring to is no doubt the one written by W. Franklin Sanders [Charles Willeford], and published by Fawcett Gold Medal in 1961.

This is an important noir novel and Willeford is recognized as an important writer in that genre.

You can BUY the ebook from Amazon.com for $2.49

Here is the link: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0096CFXB4/
Your little 'not quite a review' and the sensible price convinced me to buy the book.

Funny that there's the debate about whether sharing the book is copyright violation, but the book is being sold at Amazon using the original Gold Medal cover. I'd bet that that's not quite kosher.

I also wonder if the publisher of this edition actually holds the rights to the book, or just figured nobody would ever notice?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote