Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #1
shadowThief
shadowThief began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Spell Check not working at all

Hi,
I have some trouble with spell checking. It does not seem to work for me in any book I tried, even after deleting all config files and with a fresh install. (At some point it did work, but I can't pinpoint when it started to fail. I don't use the option that much.)
I used the build-in dictionaries, but tried to install one from openoffice too, with the same result (failure).

I always get this error message:
Code:
calibre, version 2.30.0
ERROR: Failed to check spelling: Failed to check spelling, click "Show details" for the full error information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/tweak_book/spell.py", line 1184, in get_words
    words = get_all_words(current_container(), dictionaries.default_locale)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/spell.py", line 194, in get_all_words
    read_words_from_opf(root, words, file_name, book_locale)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/spell.py", line 124, in read_words_from_opf
    add_words_from_escaped_html(tag.text, words, file_name, tag, 'text', book_locale)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/spell.py", line 103, in add_words_from_escaped_html
    root = parse('<html><body><div>%s</div></body></html>' % text, decoder=lambda x:x.decode('utf-8'))
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/parsing.py", line 671, in parse
    return parse_html5(raw, log=log, line_numbers=line_numbers, linenumber_attribute=linenumber_attribute, replace_entities=False, fix_newlines=False)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/polish/parsing.py", line 611, in parse_html5
    parser = HTMLParser(tree=builder, track_positions=line_numbers, namespaceHTMLElements=not discard_namespaces)
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'track_positions'
If I ignore the error message I can see on the right side of the spell-checking window: "You have no active user dictionaries. You must choose at least one active user dictionary via Preferences->Editor->Manage spelling dictionaries"
If I go there, the US dictionary is the default for the english language. Under "Manage user dictionaries" exist the "Default" dictionary which is marked as active. I tried adding a new dictionary and marked it active, but that neither worked.
Misspelled words are (correctly) marked in the editor though.

What am I missing??

System is Archlinux/Gnome 3.16.2 and latest kernel.

Ah and the Reports tool failes, too. But I guess thats related to the dictionary problem (at least the error traceback has a dictionary call in it).
shadowThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall the distro provided calibre, and install the official binary from the calibre website. This is yet another example of distro maintainers destroying software.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Is this due to Arch patching out your modified html5lib?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@shadowThief -- see my outstanding bugreport on the Arch bugtracker.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
shadowThief
shadowThief began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks, it's working now. :
I didn't know that arch was patching out

@ eschwartz: From what I read in the bug report, there seems to not be any hope for the arch package. They should really move the package to AUR and leave everything inside.
shadowThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

They should. Or quarantine it to /opt or just unpatch it or anything really -- its not like it interferes with other packages.
I'd be happy to maintain it in the AUR if there are ethical objections.

Double standards are everywhere, Arch is no exception. What can you do.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-12-2015 at 02:08 PM.