Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
ajoseph
ajoseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma running KOReader
Exclamation CVE-2020-15999 => Kindle jailbreak now possible

Hey folks, there's a heap overflow in the freetype font rendering library, which (I'm virtually certain) the Kindle is using for user-provided fonts as well as for PDF rendering.

Here's the CVE:

https://www.cybersecurity-help.cz/vdb/SB2020102038

Most reports are calling this a "Google Chrome" weakness because that's where it was exploited first, but the vulnerability is actually in Freetype, which Google bundles with Chrome. So anything using Freetype two weeks ago is vulnerable.

I'm more of an embedded hardware guy and have never written exploits before, so trying to pull together a jailbreak on my own is probably a multi-month project... somebody with more experience can probably do it a lot quicker.

If you have past experience with jailbreaking Kindles and have a price in mind let me know. I'm willing to pay good money for a Kindle Oasis 3 jailbreak. It's the perfect piece of hardware for me except for the fact that I can't replace the software.

If anybody who has successfully authored a jailbreak in the past wants to take a crack at this I will send you a free KOA3 (I have a spare). Both my "daily driver" and this spare have never been connected to Wifi, so they didn't get the recent update (which I'm pretty sure closes this vuln). You need to demonstrate that you were the first to publish a jailbreak for one of the previous kindles, and publicly commit to working on this.
ajoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm 95% sure lab126's FT build never actually shipped with PNG support, so, nope?

EDIT: Yup. Neither does Kobo, nor KOReader/Plato.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-11-2020 at 11:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
ajoseph
ajoseph began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma running KOReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm 95% sure lab126's FT build never actually shipped with PNG support, so, nope?

EDIT: Yup. Neither does Kobo, nor KOReader/Plato.
PDF, not PNG.

This also affects any ebook reader that can load "publisher-provided" fonts. You know, like where the ebook includes its own font. I know not a lot of them do, but a lot of ebook readers support it.

Freetype is one of only a tiny number of modern font rasterization libraries, and the only one that's open source. Basically everybody except Apple and Microsoft use Freetype.
ajoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Err, what does PDF (by which I assume you meant Type 1 fonts?) have to do with this?

This affects a block of code behind a giant FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_PNG ifdef, in a file named pngshim :?
(i.e., the --with-png autoconf switch)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-12-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As I read the CVE, it has nothing to do with PDF or Type 1 fonts. To quote: "specially crafted TTF file with PNG sbit glyphs". There are sample TTF files floating around the dark edges of the Internet that will trigger this issue. Whether a Amazon ereader is vulnerable is a good question since libfreetype.so.whatever is included in the installed code.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, and it's indeed not linked against libpng, at all, which was my original point (i.e., that this whole discussion is moot) ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-12-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Tags
jailbreak, koa3