Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Need a New Reader, suggestions?

Hi All, I am tired of fighting with my Kindle Fire 7" because it is so slow. My only worry in buying another type is all the books I've purchased from Amazon.

But if there's a way to keep the books I would consider another brand, or a much better Kindle if anyone can recommend one for me?

I get most of my books through the Overdrive site but do buy quite a bit these days. Any feedback very welcome and thank you in advance!
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The 6.8'' Paperwhite would be the best if you mainly buy from Amazon. It's black and white eink. If you want color, consider getting a tablet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2023, 11:23 AM   #3
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

thank you Sirtel, I don't want color, or need it I should say but I've heard good things about paperwhites. Do you have one and would you say it's a lot faster than a Kindle Fire 7? I definitely want faster and I do have great internet/wifi here
Old 04-12-2023, 11:24 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
thank you Sirtel, I don't want color, or need it I should say but I've heard good things about paperwhites. Do you have one and would you say it's a lot faster than a Kindle Fire 7? I definitely want faster and I do have great internet/wifi here
I don't have a Paperwhite, but I did have an Oasis (which was previous generation) and it sure was fast. I'd guess the Paperwhite, which is a newer Kindle, wouldn't be any slower.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #5
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok, I'll go take a look at the Paperwhites and let you know what I decide thanks so much!!
Advert
Old 04-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi All, I am tired of fighting with my Kindle Fire 7" because it is so slow. My only worry in buying another type is all the books I've purchased from Amazon.

But if there's a way to keep the books I would consider another brand, or a much better Kindle if anyone can recommend one for me?

I get most of my books through the Overdrive site but do buy quite a bit these days. Any feedback very welcome and thank you in advance!
Please don't call it a Kindle Fire. It's not named Kindle because that just causes confusion between the tablets and the Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The 6.8'' Paperwhite would be the best if you mainly buy from Amazon. It's black and white eink. If you want color, consider getting a tablet.
I agree that the PW5 would be a good choice.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't call it a Kindle Fire. It's not named Kindle because that just causes confusion between the tablets and the Readers.
What?? I don't understand what you are saying at all? I bought a Kindle Fire 7" that's what it is called?
Old 04-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What?? I don't understand what you are saying at all? I bought a Kindle Fire 7" that's what it is called?
A Fire tablet. They were called Kindles at first, but as they're not eink, that was changed, to not confuse them with eink Kindles.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
A Fire tablet. They were called Kindles at first, but as they're not eink, that was changed, to not confuse them with eink Kindles.
Oh geez, that figures, more reason to get the heck away from Amazon.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:03 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Even when they were called Kindle Fire (they are not now), they were not at all like a Kindle. The Fire has an LCD screen and has an Amazon version of Android, Android has bits of Linux but the GUI and application space is very different, you can add apps to a Fire, even potentially Android Playstore apps. A real Kindle has an eink screen and runs a version of Linux. You can't easily add any apps unless it's jailbroken and they are Linux programs especially adapted for the Kindle. You can't run Amazon or Playstore apps even on a jailbroken Kindle.

Microsoft did similar stupidity in the past with "Windows" applied to maybe up to five incompatible OS at the same time, some of which used incompatible CPUs and application compatibility was zero on some of them. They still misleadingly market x64 and ARM versions of Windows. The ARM based Windows will run very few ordinary Windows programs and uses an emulator to do it. It used to run none of them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oh geez, that figures, more reason to get the heck away from Amazon.
Do you have a Kindle Unlimited subscription? If not, then you can go for a Kobo Libra 2 as you can use Calibre with the DeDRM plugin to remove the DRM from your Kindle eBooks, convert to ePub, and buy ePub from Kobo, eBooks,com, or Google Play Books. Plus, you can still borrow eBooks from Overdrive just in ePub.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:17 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have a Kindle Unlimited subscription? If not, then you can go for a Kobo Libra 2 as you can use Calibre with the DeDRM plugin to remove the DRM from your Kindle eBooks, convert to ePub, and buy ePub from Kobo, eBooks,com, or Google Play Books. Plus, you can still borrow eBooks from Overdrive just in ePub.
Removing the DRM from Kindle books without an eink Kindle is pretty difficult now. There were several posters here who didn't manage to get the Android workaround to work.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:23 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Understand that the latest Kindle is fast for an e-ink device. It will not be blazing fast like your phone.

I have no clue how slow your tablet is. But unless you have a bunch of extraneous crap on it, it still may be faster than the fastest Kindle. It might be worth your time to go to a local Best Buy where you can play with one of the black and white Kindles in person.

If you mostly read books, there's more to consider than just speed. The e-ink screen looks more like paper to me than an LCD does. And the battery will last for weeks instead of days.

I do think you would like the current Paperwhite. But check one out in person if you can.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:28 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It was in Sept. 2014 when Amazon dropped the Kindle Fire name for Fire. From what I vaguely remember, there were quite a few complaints about people buying the wrong item due to the Kindle in both names.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote