Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2023, 04:12 PM   #16
Hardboiled
Enthusiast
Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, K3GB
Just like to update on this download issue. It appears that there is no problem with any of the books I have bought for the K3. You just have to have the wifi on, which I tend to put on rarely, and then the option isn't greyed out, upon purchase. A 'massive' book I bought, 100 greatest novels (33mb)... type thing, that Calibre struggled to open for reading, so I thought forget the old keyboard even attempting that one, until I can split 'em, downloaded in seconds, when I switched the wifi on and opens/works/reads fine.
Hardboiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardboiled View Post
Just like to update on this download issue. It appears that there is no problem with any of the books I have bought for the K3. You just have to have the wifi on, which I tend to put on rarely, and then the option isn't greyed out, upon purchase. A 'massive' book I bought, 100 greatest novels (33mb)... type thing, that Calibre struggled to open for reading, so I thought forget the old keyboard even attempting that one, until I can split 'em, downloaded in seconds, when I switched the wifi on and opens/works/reads fine.
The Calibre viewer doesn't read Kindle formats. Any Kindle book you open with the viewer gets converted to epub first. That's why huge Kindle books take time to open with the Calibre viewer, but are much faster on an actual Kindle device or app.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2023, 02:57 AM   #18
Hardboiled
Enthusiast
Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hardboiled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Calibre viewer doesn't read Kindle formats. Any Kindle book you open with the viewer gets converted to epub first. That's why huge Kindle books take time to open with the Calibre viewer, but are much faster on an actual Kindle device or app.
I realise that but Calibre had locked up twice, trying to convert it to ePub (for splitting), on a i7 laptop with 16gb ram and a good Nvidia graphics card - Sigil had no problem and I prefer conversions in Sigil to Calibre because Calibre adds a huge amount of messy unnecessary CSS, even though it works well and most people wouldn't notice. It does show that though that the processing power on an actual Kindle device, needed for pure eBooks, isn't very much. Or rather Amazon does deliver the right format for the right device, still even for a 12 year old device.

How do you attribute a quote here? I can't find how to include the OP of the quote.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:07 AM   #19
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
How do you attribute a quote here? I can't find how to include the OP of the quote.
Just below the post you want to quote there is a little blue box that says "Quote". If you hover over it the tool tip says "Reply With Quote" and it includes the OP of the post you are replying to.

I have changed the brackets in this example to curly braces to display what is inside the brackets for your post:
{QUOTE=Hardboiled;4311876} ... {/QUOTE}
But to do it for real it has to be square brackets.

I always edit the quote to delete text not relevant to my comments.

Last edited by Kindleing; 04-05-2023 at 03:10 AM.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 04:12 AM   #20
Hardboiled
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Just below the post you want to quote there is a little blue box that says "Quote". If you hover over it the tool tip says "Reply With Quote" and it includes the OP of the post you are replying to.
Thanks, and it even says 'quote' on it, I should have looked more carefully
Advert
Old 04-05-2023, 04:21 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Calibre adds a huge amount of messy unnecessary CSS, even though it works well and most people wouldn't notice.
No, Calibre doesn't invent (add) CSS. It's just converting. How would it add CSS not in the original?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:16 AM   #22
Hardboiled
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, Calibre doesn't invent (add) CSS. It's just converting. How would it add CSS not in the original?
That's not true. There can be up to 20 different paragraph styles - there is often Calibre_3/_4/_5 etc. on the same page for the same type of paragraphs. I don't know why but I do know about ebook architecture since it was job for a while.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:33 AM   #23
Hardboiled
Enthusiast

My apologies, I should qualify that so it doesn't sound so arrogant. What I mean to say is, I imagine Calibre's conversion is a catch-all, so having 20 or so paragraph styles, will make conversions, simpler, easier and work under most circumstances - it's designed for readers not creators. But if you like to tinker with your books, perhaps because the original ebook was very poor - such as those that come from say, Internet Archive, then it's not great for subsequent editing. Therefore I prefer tools such as Sigil, for the conversion and subsequent editing. There's nothing wrong with Calibre and it was meant as no criticism.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:44 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's not true. There can be up to 20 different paragraph styles - there is often Calibre_3/_4/_5 etc. on the same page for the same type of paragraphs. I don't know why but I do know about ebook architecture since it was job for a while.
Then the html code of the book was messy. Calibre converts the html code to css when converting a book. Garbage in, garbage out.

Calibre doesn't put anything in the css that wasn't either in the html or css in the beginning.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:22 AM   #25
Hardboiled
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Calibre doesn't put anything in the css that wasn't either in the html or css in the beginning.
Yes it does, otherwise there would be no Calibre_ tags at all, and there certianly isn't normally that many styles in the original CSS, of a lot of books I've converted. As I say it's works, since it's designed as a catch-all, I imagine. Again, Calibre works very well for casual conversion and obviously it's only going to be as good as the original, without subsequent editing. But if you do like to correct poor books, then for me I prefer to do the conversion in Sigil, as I say.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:28 AM   #26
Hardboiled
Enthusiast

Also a lot of early or badly formed eBooks can even have CSS styling directly within the HTML files. This is hard for any conversion process. There's a limit to how much messing I do too; at the end of the day a good novel, should just be read, but I sure do like it to look nice too
Old 04-05-2023, 09:15 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Also a lot of early or badly formed eBooks can even have CSS styling directly within the HTML files.
That is what I meant. Calibre takes these out of the html files and puts them in the css during the conversion process. That's where those "many css styles" come from. If the book is correctly formatted, there won't be any mess of inline html styles in it and so Calibre won't need to generate additional css entries from them.

I edit all my ebooks too, but in the calibre editor, not in Sigil. And yes, lots of self-published ebooks are a mess.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It's perfectly true. Those styles where SOMEWHERE in the the original.

I was doing CSS & HTML before epub existed and HTML before CSS was a thing.

If there are a lot of pointless similar styles with conversion from Mobi the original is poor. The epub can be cleaned.

Also many big publisher azw3 / epub have massive templates. Use the Remove Unused and Merge identical CSS in the Editor.

Calibre doesn't add new styles.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #29
Hardboiled
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's perfectly true. Those styles where SOMEWHERE in the the original.

I was doing CSS & HTML before epub existed and HTML before CSS was a thing.

If there are a lot of pointless similar styles with conversion from Mobi the original is poor. The epub can be cleaned.

Also many big publisher azw3 / epub have massive templates. Use the Remove Unused and Merge identical CSS in the Editor.

Calibre doesn't add new styles.
Well as I say, it may be true for you, but not for me, I can see that from the original to the conversion often. And I didn't actually say it adds new styles. I said it adds many styles, often they are the same styles with the same section. I understand and agree that the original can be very poor but I have seen this with those that aren't, such my own too. Which makes it more difficult to edit, if you use a Calibre conversion, at times, even if it doesn't change the original style, for the reader. I agree that many publishers can may use huge templates but I never did. There is the 1st paragraph, the body and some titles/sub-titles and headlines etc.. There shouldn't be ever a need for much more in a normal fiction paperback style. Complex technical and reference works can be much more complicated granted though.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:09 PM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well as I say, it may be true for you, but not for me, I can see that from the original to the conversion often. And I didn't actually say it adds new styles. I said it adds many styles, often they are the same styles with the same section. I understand and agree that the original can be very poor but I have seen this with those that aren't, such my own too.
Never seen it with well-formatted books. There must be something wrong with the original coding, then. Calibre doesn't invent any styles that weren't there originally, nor does it duplicate them.