Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
neighner
neighner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does this exist?

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite. I do not like the flush screen. So I got a Kobo Libra 2 instead only to find out that Scribd will not work on it. And Kobo doesn’t have their subscription service in the U.S. yet. I want a service that has both ebooks and audiobooks. And I would like a 7” or greater *sunken* screen e-reader. Suggestions?
neighner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neighner View Post
I bought a Kindle Paperwhite. I do not like the flush screen. So I got a Kobo Libra 2 instead only to find out that Scribd will not work on it. And Kobo doesn’t have their subscription service in the U.S. yet. I want a service that has both ebooks and audiobooks. And I would like a 7” or greater *sunken* screen e-reader. Suggestions?
You can get a subscription for audiobooks at Kobo. You can listen to audiobooks from Kobo on a Libra 2.

Kobo Plus is the only subscription service that I know of that has both eBooks and audiobooks. Even Kindle Unlimited does not support audiobooks.

Buying a different Reader won't help. Kobo is your best choice for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Why the preference for sunken screen? Your best bet is an Android model because then you can just use the Android app for Scribd or whatever you want. The Boox Leaf 2 is a pretty similar form factor the the Libra 2. Meebook P78 is another device to look at. They don't have sunken screens though but AFAIK no Android reader bigger than 6" you can buy does so you may have to pick your poison.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
neighner

Kobo does not have the subscription service available to people in the U.S. Kindle Unlimited does have audiobooks. Not as many as Audible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can get a subscription for audiobooks at Kobo. You can listen to audiobooks from Kobo on a Libra 2.

Kobo Plus is the only subscription service that I know of that has both eBooks and audiobooks. Even Kindle Unlimited does not support audiobooks.

Buying a different Reader won't help. Kobo is your best choice for now.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
neighner

With the sunken screen you do not have a piece of glass between you and the words. Without the glass it is clearer. Yes, with the glass it is ok. But, I would prefer it to not be flush if possible. Are these android models e-ink or just a normal tablet screen like an iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Why the preference for sunken screen? Your best bet is an Android model because then you can just use the Android app for Scribd or whatever you want. The Boox Leaf 2 is a pretty similar form factor the the Libra 2. Meebook P78 is another device to look at. They don't have sunken screens though but AFAIK no Android reader bigger than 6" you can buy does so you may have to pick your poison.
Advert
Old 03-09-2023, 04:12 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Are these android models e-ink or just a normal tablet screen like an iPad?
Yes, they're e-ink.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:42 PM   #7
neighner

Thank you for the suggestion of the Boox Leaf 2! The white version has a sunken screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Old 03-09-2023, 06:56 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
With the sunken screen you do not have a piece of glass between you and the words. Without the glass it is clearer. Yes, with the glass it is ok. But, I would prefer it to not be flush if possible. Are these android models e-ink or just a normal tablet screen like an iPad?
Since IR touch ereaders went the way of the dodo, about the only difference between the sunken and the flush mount screen is the case design. Not to mention that with current eInk screens, you have the protective film, the front light guide, the touch screen layer and the transparent front electrode layer between you and the micro-capsules that make up the display.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:41 PM   #9
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since IR touch ereaders went the way of the dodo, about the only difference between the sunken and the flush mount screen is the case design. Not to mention that with current eInk screens, you have the protective film, the front light guide, the touch screen layer and the transparent front electrode layer between you and the micro-capsules that make up the display.
I miss the super clarity of the older readers — I’d love to have an IR based touchscreen again. When I pick up my wife’s Kindle 3 I sometimes lament how we lost some of the benefits — the improvements of the new ones outweigh what we’ve lost, but I feel like some combination of old and new would be far superior.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:46 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I miss the super clarity of the older readers — I’d love to have an IR based touchscreen again. When I pick up my wife’s Kindle 3 I sometimes lament how we lost some of the benefits — the improvements of the new ones outweigh what we’ve lost, but I feel like some combination of old and new would be far superior.
Dunno. My current Kobos sure have better contrast than those oldies (I compare them to my old, non-touch ereaders occasionally. Well, their display is miles better than that of the seniors, no comparison there). And the one IR display I had - 2014 basic Kindle - was pretty meh.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:21 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
The difference is best noticed when the devices are next to each other.
And the devices mentioned are EInk tablets
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 05:59 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There can be more of a difference. Look at the PW3 vs the PW4. Making the PW4 flush caused it to be less sharp and clear (muddy) then the PW3. But that was fixed with the PW5. It all depends on how the flush screen Reader is made. With the sunken screen, all the layers are closer together and will look good (aka Libra 2).
Old 03-10-2023, 08:56 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With the sunken screen, all the layers are closer together and will look good (aka Libra 2).
Not always. The Libra 1 had a sunken screen too, but the display was pretty meh.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
It all depends on how the flush screen Reader is made. With the sunken screen, all the layers are closer together and will look good (aka Libra 2).
No - the biggest problem is the light guide.
My Leaf 2 (flat screen) has a better screen than my Tolino Vision 6 (Libra 2)
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:57 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not always. The Libra 1 had a sunken screen too, but the display was pretty meh.
Libra H2O. As was said before, don't call it Libra 1 as that can cause others to think the original Libra H2O was called Libra 1.