Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
gabr
gabr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
eink android smartphones

what are the options for android smartphones with e-ink screen? i'm thinking about replacing my smartphone and kindle with just one device like the inkpalm 5.
I want a smartphone size device not a tablet size.
gabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:51 AM   #2
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Here's my favorite site for narrowing down the selection when shopping for smartphones. There's an option to filter by display type: eink
https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-s...es/i_stt+id.14
The answer is pretty much slim to none, unfortunately.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #3
gabr
gabr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i dont need much for a smartphone. just whatsapp, 4g, headphone jack would be nice, google maps, fdroid
gabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:10 AM   #4
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabr View Post
what are the options for android smartphones with e-ink screen? i'm thinking about replacing my smartphone and kindle with just one device like the inkpalm 5.
I want a smartphone size device not a tablet size.
Only Hisense makes Android smartphones with e-ink screens.

The best screen currently is the A9. It does have worse battery life than the A5 (Pro), though.

Remember that if you live in the US, you might not get 4G. Works well in Europe, though.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 06:16 AM   #5
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
not to mention you're not getting any security updates since these are pretty old.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2023, 01:50 PM   #6
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
not to mention you're not getting any security updates since these are pretty old.
The A9 is not even a year old, and the latest version (8GB+256GB) of it was introduced just a month or two ago.

My A5 Pro also received an update a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if it was a security update or what changes, as Hisense never provides a changelog.

I have given up on the idea of security updates. For a phone to feel secure I'd basically have to get a more or less recent Google Pixel phone and install GrapheneOS on it. And change it every 3-4 years, as Google stops supporting them. That is not only expensive, but also wasteful. Not to mention that I don't want any more LCD screens in my life than necessary.

There are no good options only tradeoffs. I have chosen an e-ink screen for better life quality.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Remember that if you live in the US, you might not get 4G. Works well in Europe, though.
That's a major problem as 3G and 2G have been almost completely phased out in the U.S.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote