Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Do you require Kobo Desktop Software to connect Kobo to computer?

I dug out my old kobo reader to load books on it for a family member using calibre. I haven't used the kobo in years so I am a bit rusty at remembering if the kobo desktop software is necessary for mounting the kobo reader on my mac? I would prefer not having to install the kobo desktop if I can get the kobo recognized without it.

Thanks for any replies.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:18 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No, it isn't necessary.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #3
Lykke
Groupie
Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Lykke can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have never used it.
Lykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All you need is Calibre.

P.S. Don't forget to update to the 4.32 firmware
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
No. This seems to imply that you do, but I found that I never actually used the app, so I later uninstalled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All you need is Calibre.
I'm sure it's quite useful for some people, but so far I've never needed that either.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Thanks so much everyone for your replies. Just discovered the dreaded no connect via usb-c port on my M1 Mac with my old aurah2o. Now I'm going to have to get a USB2 hub to get a connection.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
No. This seems to imply that you do, but I found that I never actually used the app, so I later uninstalled it.

I'm sure it's quite useful for some people, but so far I've never needed that either.
What is it you do with your Kobo that you don't find Calibre useful for you?
Old 05-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #8
Tawn
Connoisseur

Quote:
What is it you do with your Kobo that you don't find Calibre useful for you?
Read . What do you do with yours, ?

Actually, I never said I wouldn't find it useful. I've never installed it, never ran across an issue & found it to be the answer. So I obviously don't need it.

I've only had my kobo a few months, so I don't have a large eBook collection. Mostly I side-load library books through ADE; a few were downloaded directly from kobo to device.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:19 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Actually, I never said I wouldn't find it useful. I've never installed it, never ran across an issue & found it to be the answer. So I obviously don't need it.

I've only had my kobo a few months, so I don't have a large eBook collection. Mostly I side-load library books through ADE; a few were downloaded directly from kobo to device.
Gutenberg.org
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

With Calibre, you can remove the DRM, make any edits to the eBooks you want, setup collections and/or series, keep better track of your eBooks, and more.

The thing is, you say you don't have that many eBooks, but when you do have that many, you'd have to start from scratch with Calibre instead of starting now and letting your library grow.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:45 PM   #11
Tawn
Connoisseur

Quote:
With Calibre, you can remove the DRM, make any edits to the eBooks you want, setup collections and/or series, keep better track of your eBooks, and more.

The thing is, you say you don't have that many eBooks, but when you do have that many, you'd have to start from scratch with Calibre instead of starting now and letting your library grow.
Hope you're not advocating removing DRM from library books. I read books; I don't collect them. Vast majority I'll never reread. Other than perhaps the titles (which I don't need another app for), there's nothing to keep track of. If I eventually decide I want Calibre, I'm fine with starting from scratch then.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #12
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Hope you're not advocating removing DRM from library books. I read books; I don't collect them. Vast majority I'll never reread. Other than perhaps the titles (which I don't need another app for), there's nothing to keep track of. If I eventually decide I want Calibre, I'm fine with starting from scratch then.
Removing DRM is a bit of a hand grenade topic, but I can say with reasonable certainty that JSWolf is not advocating removing DRM from library books, or from books that one has not purchased.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #13
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Removing DRM is a bit of a hand grenade topic, but I can say with reasonable certainty that JSWolf is not advocating removing DRM from library books, or from books that one has not purchased.
Given that he once suspected someone stole a nook and ditched it at a good Will which he then used as grounds for not helping the person who bought it from said good will, despite zero evidence and the insurmountable difficulty and essentially zero chance of reuniting the nook with the original owner. I have to agree with this assessment.

Jon is just very insistent that people do things the way he thinks is best. Any deviation no matter the justification is abhorrent and wrong. But he will never suggest doing anything like stripping drm from library borrowed ebooks, no matter how poorly formatted they are.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:43 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I'm sure Jon wouldn't advocate removing DRM from library books. Nor would I. Bought books are different.
Note Amazon's KU are NOT bought books, it's a subscription Library and unlike real libraries Amazon doesn't buy the books. They "compensate" with pages read. A broken model.

There is no point to Calibre for Library books. Our local library has its own app (Borrowbox) for that, which shows what you are reading, wish list and what you read and "returns" books. Irish libraries have to buy each copy (for more than 1 loan at a time) and Authors can get a small royalty per loan, even if none is read. Amazon KU is a different model. The Archive Org Library is even worse as they simply make copies and loan, paying nothing ever, being free is a poor excuse.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-24-2022 at 05:48 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:13 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I'm advocating using Calibre to manage eBooks bought or were free (from some eBook store).