Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
frogmobile
frogmobile began at the beginning.

Device: none
What 's the use of a ereader tablet really?

Hi! I will play the Devil's advocate here: What the hec is all about a "liseuse" Ereader Kobo, Kindle and the like while one can read on so many types of screens including the faithful old smartphone? I tried to buy a Kobo but backed off many times while realizing it is expensive and the only REAL strong point is AUTONOMY. To be sure, those Kobo thing do last a long time before running out of puff but I circumnavigated the problem by buying a portable power pack (12 Amp) for my smatphone. My phone costed 69 Au$ and the power pack 12 Euro! Epub reader on the phone is very confy to use with black fonts on soft parchmen background (from the settings). Have a good afernoon.
frogmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
The real difference is not just the autonomy, it's the comfort in reading on an e-ink screen vs LCD screen (of which the autonomy is a consequence, because the e-ink display doesn't need power to maintain the displayed image).

If you can read for long periods of time on an LCD screen without discomfort, then you are right, an e-ink reader won't be very useful to you. To me, it's just unthinkable.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Go outside. Stand in a sunny spot. Read on your smartphone and report back. Was it easy to read? With a $69 phone I can't imagine it is. eInk is perfect in bright sunlight and I can use it then with the light off instead of cranked to the max to be able to see it like my phone(thus reducing battery life further).

I also find the battery life to be much much better. I don't want to charge my phone two or three times in a day because I decided to read a novel. Plus I find it less distracting because I can't easily start watching a youtube video or whatever.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 09-28-2017 at 07:33 AM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Bigger screen.
Screen readable in the direct sunlight on the beach.
Screen that resembles paper.
Screen that doesn't emit light, but uses ambient light sources, with a possibility to use frontlight if you really need one to enhance the text.
Much simpler user interface.
Fewer distractions from other apps and net and messages people typically have on a phone or a tablet.
Higher screen resolution than cheap phone.

I have read on LCD screens for many, many years. Beginning with the amber colored plasma screens on luggable computers from late 1980s, through the really nasty color LCDs on cheap notebooks and first PDAs, through trans-reflective "black on gray" ones (like those on first generations of Palm Pilot), to the newest AMOLED hi-res marvels. Yet, when I want to sit down, or lay down with a good book I reach for my 6" e-ink reader.
But, many people prefer their Fire tablets from Amazon, or iPads, or phones. And that is great. Diversity and choice is wonderful.

Just yesterday Amazon had a big event and they did not introduce any new e-ink device. There is nice blog post on Teleread.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Choice.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Great sunlight readability, long battery life, excellent screen. Those are the reasons I read fiction on my Kindle.

PDFs I read on my iPad, but that's a whole different set of reasons.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
However large phones are getting these days, they're still smaller than my smallest ereader (5" reader). Also, my ereaders are 4:3 format, not 16:9 or even worse 18:9 (that seems toe be the choice of screen these days apparently). And last but absolutely not least, battery life. I can take a few weeks before I have to charge my ereader, my phone will be dead by 2 days, even without use.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Recent lengthy discussion about lcd vs eink and your eyes (it's currently on page 2 of this forum)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289150

Poll and discussion about reading on reading on phone vs ereader:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ighlight=phone

Last edited by 4691mls; 09-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
My smartphone is small and hard to read outside.
As to expensive, you can always get used.
Phone is heavier especially if you put a power pack with it.

The only question to ask is "Will I use it enough to justify the expense? ".
If you don't have a use for it then it is not worth the expense.

Example: recently I bought measuring cups and spoons for 2 people. They were appreciated because both love to cook. I didn't give them to my youngest daughter because she has no use for them.

On a more expensive front, I can't justify a new food processor for myself.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Just yesterday Amazon had a big event and they did not introduce any new e-ink device. There is nice blog post on Teleread.
Yikes, I hope that doesn't bode poorly for eink readers! I love to read on kindle paperwhite (even with glitches of not turning on correctly, the power button hard to use, etc). I have an iPad 12.9 inch and an iphone SE - and would prefer my eink anytime - except for pdf files
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmobile View Post
"liseuse"
Hey froggy, that word means light in English. It's not correct here.

eInk is easier to read in sunlight. Not distracting like a phone or tablet (no messages from apps). Lighter than a tablet. Larger screen than a phone. Better battery life.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hey froggy, that word means light in English. It's not correct here.

eInk is easier to read in sunlight. Not distracting like a phone or tablet (no messages from apps). Lighter than a tablet. Larger screen than a phone. Better battery life.
I figured he meant license. But I hadn't had my coffee yet when I read it either.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
frogmobile

Thanks mates! Although I challenge any of you North Americans to stand for any length of time in the North Queensland sun with your LISEUSE (yes froggy lives in the tropics!) without ending with instant cataract coupled with skin cancer (not to mention your Epaper screen going wavy) I thank you all for your answers, you just about convinced me. Have a good afternoon.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmobile View Post
Although I challenge any of you North Americans to stand for any length of time in the North Queensland sun with your LISEUSE
Why would we want to stand in any sun with a READING LIGHT (liseuse)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #15
frogmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would we want to stand in any sun with a READING LIGHT (liseuse)?
Ho you are right! Liseuse was also a reading light or even a little feminine coat to whistand the cold when reading motionless for those educated ladies long ago before electronics. Apparently Liseuse has already been incorporated into the English language as the reading light so, obviously could not be absorbed twice. So the modern meaning for Liseuse (Ereader) should remain confined to the French. I shall refrain from now on from using this vocabulary on this forum and in the presence of my anglosaxon friends, a gesture from the usual arrogant frog that I am. Enjoy the rest of your day!