Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 AM   #1
metita
metita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavens

Device: none
pdf and k2pdfopt on kobo

hi everybody! it's my first post here.
I was thinking to buy a kobo touch N905 (i don't know the last letter after 905, does it make any difference?) from a well known chinese store (i don't know if i'm allowed to post the link). The price would be quite low, about 45$. The seller says that the product is "95%" new because it came from stock not sold on Japanese store: would you buy it? :-)
Consider that i would buy it as a replacement of a 7" android tablet/4.3" android phone for reading pdf reshaped by k2pdfopt (reading on a LCD panel isn't so pleasant and the battery got drained really fast).
My question is: since reshaped pdf by k2pdfopt can be quite heavy (i recently converted a 700 pages pdf book into a 3600+ pages pdf with a file size more than 100 mb), will the kobo touch support it? Should i expect some bad delays when turning pages? Has anyone experience with similar pdf?
Also, how long does a battery charge last reading pdf? (in terms of hours)
Finally, i also read on this forum that exist a porting of k2pdfopt that runs directly on kobo. Does it require some hacking/rooting of the device? (i mean, does you risk to "brick" the reader installing the app?).
Thank you!
metita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
hi

I don't know about kobo touch ability to handle that file size or not

but there are some tricks that u can use to reduce your file or make it easier to handle

first u can use other launchers like coolreader and koreader ( specially koreader ) They have internal K2pdf engine that reflow your text in device during reading
on my device ( H2O ) its so faster and better than PC version
and yes, they require some hack to kobo
you should run a patch that link an icon picture to a executable file for device and copy that files to your device
you can find the installing method in forum

second u can use "native pdf" option and check its box in k2pdf software on your PC. It makes your pdf size similar to original size ( a little quality lost but not important )

third you can split your big size pdf to 2 or 3 ( maybe 4 ) part and make it smaller size for your device

another possible option is make your reflowed pdf again by extracting its pages and reduced their size and combine them again
some programs like "A page pdf cut" in spite of their original function, create again a pdf size and maybe make it smaller in size

I used all of these method before according to situations, and recommend 1st one

Last edited by barobach_so; 08-21-2015 at 06:35 AM.
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit I'd be a tad nervous if it was the original N905 version, solely because it did not have an internal SD card, but stores the f/w etc on a flash chip.

This makes recovery from incorrect installation of 3rd party mods impossible (and since you are reading PDFs coolreader or koreader are more than likely in your future).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
metita
metita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavensmetita is a rising star in the heavens

thank you both!

i would discard the option "native pdf" because as far as i understand it doesn't reflow the text. However, i feel a bit stupid about i didn't think by myself i could split big pdf in pieces :-)

I read about the installation process of KOreader, it seems quite simple. Anyway, i'm quite worried about the unrecoverable firmware on the original N905. How can i check what version i'm buying?

thank you again!

EDIT:

reading wikipedia i find out this:
Quote:
Three variants of the Kobo Touch were released: N905, N905B, and N905C. The first was the original Kobo Touch; the second was the model with advertisements; the third was the low-cost model introduced after the release of the Kobo Glo.
(not sure what "advertisements" means). So i should avoid the 905A, i'm correct?
thanks!

Last edited by metita; 08-21-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by metita View Post
Anyway, i'm quite worried about the unrecoverable firmware on the original N905. How can i check what version i'm buying?
Checking which version you are buying might not be so easy. Even if you see what is printed on the box it might be difficult to interpret.

I have some doubts that the old model without internal SD card has ever been sold in Japan. Therefore, I would simply take the risk. I guess, chances that you get such an old model are rather low.

I would certainly only buy a Kobo model with removable internal SD card, if I could choose. However, in several years of usage, I have only once replaced it with a back up copy. And even that was not necessary, I could have done a simple hardware reset. I only did it because I was in a hurry at that time, and wanted to keep the failing image for later analysis to see what I did wrong. I should note that I am a heavy 3rd party software user, though I do almost all my recreational reading with the original software.

Could you post the link to the reseller? Preferable to the page offering the Touch?

On another note, I cannot see how using software like koreader can be supposed to break the device in a way that it cannot recover by a simple factory reset.

Last edited by tshering; 08-21-2015 at 02:19 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
N905, N905B, N905C are all original Kobo Touch models. N905B and N905C have removable internal SD card, but not N905.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:06 AM   #7
metita

yes, sure, here is the link:

http://it.aliexpress.com/item/Origin...ig=true#extend

(i hope you see the english version of the page..sometimes i see it translated in my language). This is the best offer i found, and it says it's N905B (however, i've already bought something on this site, and you're never sure of what you're really buying until the package arrives ).
Here they say the product is "95%" new.

However, i saw that the one "95% new" that comes from supermarket of Japan was a N905A, so i discard that ( http://it.aliexpress.com/item/Kobo-6...ig=true#extend )

thank you
Old 08-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
metita

Update: i've just bought the reader from the first link (so it should be N905B). Within 40 days (shipping time) i hopefully become a proud Kobo touch owner too.