Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 03:49 AM   #76
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
did you try this one? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&#post3093389
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:58 AM   #77
barobach_so
Connoisseur
barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.barobach_so knows what's going on.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
hi
no
but i test it now and it works
thank you very much

update your first post I download last one from 1st post
barobach_so is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #78
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barobach_so View Post
update your first post I download last one from 1st post
I didn't update the attachment in the first post because it uses an experimental workaround for 3.15; I'm waiting to see if 3.16 changes anything (should be out soon, there was some noise in the firmware thread recently).

Edit: Unfortunately 3.16 does not change anything about the log messages so it seems the workaround is there to stay. *sigh* Updated the first post.

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-11-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #79
frostschutz
Linux User

Another update.

The uninstall routine only worked if the mod itself worked (was checked only when it was about to show a sleep image)... now it also checks on reboot whether it should uninstall.

Instead of pngcat | pickel it now has a pngshow that shows PNG images regardless of rotation without changing rotation. I hope this will work for all devices but I have no way to test other than the H2O since that's my only Kobo device.

Someone reported that it didn't work on Glo HD but we never figured out whether it was due to missing log messages or pngcat or something else. If you try this please let me know whether it works for you (which device / which firmware), thanks.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:05 AM   #80
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Thank you for very useful patch. I'm using Kobo Aura H2O with latest firmware. I have noticed that sometimes (after turning off the device), instead of previously prepared image, only standard screen with "Powered off" is visible. I think this is related to powering off the device if I'm during reading book. When the device is turned off if I'm on my "home" screen, the custom image is presented OK.
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #81
frostschutz
Linux User

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you like it despite issues.

Hmmm, powering off (by holding the power button for a while) seems to work for me, in the main menu, while reading a book. What's your Kobo's setting for standby, empty screen or book cover or reading progress? I'm using the empty screen setting myself, as that seems to produce the least amount of noise on the display.

Do you go into standby first (and see an image for standby) and only then power off quickly afterwards? That is one case where the mod currently does not display another image. The log message that triggers the mod became a bit noisy in firmware 3.15 so I put in a 10 second delay where the mod may not show another image after the previous image.

So the device would go Book -> Sleep -> (Random Image) -> Power Off -> (No Image)

I think I can improve that, by using the log message timestamp instead of real time. I will experiment with it.

Other possibilities are general timing problem; the mod blindly displays the image, it does not know whether it's before or after Kobo draws its own Sleeping screen. For that reason it waits one second, displays the image, waits one second, displays the same image again in the hope that Kobo's own image was displayed before that; so the random image wins in the end. If the Kobo takes longer to display the sleep screen, the Kobo may win... if you ever see a random image appearing only to be replaced by the standard sleep screen instantly afterwards... not sure how to fix that short of actually checking the display content before displaying the image (like show image only if >75% of the screen is white).

Apart from that, there's the possibility of broken images the mod can't handle. In such a case it would not be smart enough to pick another image, it simply would go empty this round. Although in my own tests it seemed to handle all flavours of PNG just fine. But if there was a file "image.png" that actually contained JPEG data ... not sure how many images you have but if there is one that *never* shows up it might be an issue. But then randomly you get no image at all, and it's not because of the 10 second delay...

Edit: Updated it, so the 10 second timeout no longer applies, and I've also fiddled with the timing it uses to display the image. This should fix some issues with the Sleep->Power Off transition - not sure if it fixes yours.

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-29-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #82
errenay
Enthusiast
errenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three noteserrenay can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
What's your Kobo's setting for standby, empty screen or book cover or reading progress?
Empty screen

Quote:
Do you go into standby first (and see an image for standby) and only then power off quickly afterwards?
I'm holding the power button up till the device is turned off.

Quote:
Edit: Updated it, so the 10 second timeout no longer applies, and I've also fiddled with the timing it uses to display the image.
Does it mean that there is a new version of your patch?
errenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #83
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Empty screen
I'm holding the power button up till the device is turned off.
Hmm, same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by errenay View Post
Does it mean that there is a new version of your patch?
Yep, in the first post... sorry there isn't a version number, but you can compare with what it says below the post "last edited by - time".
Old 07-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #84
frostschutz
Linux User

Added a workaround for images showing upside down on some devices. (needs testing)
Old 07-02-2015, 04:52 AM   #85
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Added a workaround for images showing upside down on some devices. (needs testing)
Not sure whether this information is of any help, but I "think" the rotation values after boot, after pickel, and after nickel are as follows:
Touch,Mini,Glo: 0-0-0
Aura HD: 2-2-1
H2O: 2-2-1
Glo HD: 0-3-3

Note: I should have mentioned: By after boot, I mean the state the device is in before pickel showpic is called the first time (I removed this part from the rcS, as well as the call of nickel).

Edit: After looking again at the materials, I have to correct my statement. Instead of "after boot" I should have said "after running any KSM application."

I guess it is on purpose, but I am not sure. Currently, there isn't any archive uploaded to the first post.

Last edited by tshering; 07-03-2015 at 08:57 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #86
frostschutz
Linux User

@tshering: If you could re-try the pngshow program on the touch, I just updated the first post, does it still show upside down? Does echo X > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate for X in 0 1 2 3 change pngshow behaviour in any way? It's supposed to show the image correctly regardless of what rotation is currently set to.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #87
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
@tshering: If you could re-try the pngshow program on the touch, I just updated the first post, does it still show upside down? Does echo X > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate for X in 0 1 2 3 change pngshow behaviour in any way? It's supposed to show the image correctly regardless of what rotation is currently set to.
It works perfectly.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #88
frostschutz
Linux User

Great. Thanks
Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #89
anyone
Enthusiast
anyone began at the beginning.

Can I specify what image is displayed in standby or off? I want to still be able to see the status text but use the same image. Or is the text just rendered above the image and not replaced by it? So I don't have to include the text in the image.
anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #90
frostschutz
Linux User

This mod can not distinguish standby vs. off at this point so... you just get a random image. You can't tell from the image whether its standby or off. At best, if you knew which image was used when it went standby, you'd later know that its power off because the image suddenly changed (but unless you have a lot of images, it could randomly just pick the same image again).

What you COULD do is make all your images short, i.e. if your device has 1400 pixels, you could make your images only 1200 pixels. The mod displays images in the top left corner so the bottom would remain unchanged, and if it says "Standby" or "Power Off" at the bottom, that would be left intact.

I'm currently working on supporting PNG transparency for other reasons so its possible in a future version you could make transparent cut out of the exact region you want to be left intact on screen.

What you still get without those modifications are status updates, for example if you are charging the device it periodically writes the charge status on screen and this appears despite the screensaver since the screensaver displays the image only once and then never does anything anymore until next time.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-10-2015 at 04:32 PM.