Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
undecimo
undecimo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Libra 2
Modding Libra 2

Just received a Libra 2 today and started poking around after updating to the October firmware.

KFMon and NickelMenu installed without complaint.

KOReader presented its bomb screen because it couldn't identify the device. I wasn't sure of the Libra 2's codename, so I modified frontend/device/kobo/device.lua to assign any unidentified devices to the Libra H2O bucket. KOReader then launched and rendered nicely, but 180 degrees from the desired orientation. (Touches were parsed correctly as the device rotated, but the screen orientation always redrew upside down.)

I haven't had a chance to hack further, but it appears that it won't take much work to get KOReader up and running.
undecimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's been mentioned elsewhere, but the codename for the Libra 2 is "io". And for the Sage it is "cadmus".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 01:39 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'll be working on initial support over the next week (might had been this week-end, but apparently my Sage is currently lost in the post-office ether ).

If you're willing to dig into it over shell (i.e., ssh/telnet), I have a test script that'll spit out all the gory details I need that I can send you?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As in, unpack this in a temporary folder on your device, run the devcap_test.sh
script from said directory, and send me the output of /mnt/onboard/devcap_log.txt & /mnt/onboard/devcap_done.png once it's done .
Attached Files
File Type: gz Kobo-DevCap-Test.tar.gz (650.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 02:32 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because I forgot to mention it earlier: for better accuracy, this should be run from within Nickel, after a cold boot .

I also wouldn't mind a look at the full KFMon log (/usr/local/kfmon/kfmon.log).
Advert
Old 10-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
undecimo

Logs attached. Thanks for the quick reply.

In the KFMon log, you'll see that I had a few .ini files set up - I copied the whole .adds folder from my old Aura. Tapping the icons in Nickel brought up an image preview instead of launching the associated app, but the generator :main :kfmon section in NickelMenu did populate correctly.

Plato was much more confused than KOReader and couldn't even render a list of books. I didn't try pbchess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	devcap_done.png
Views:	240
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	189746  
Attached Files
File Type: txt devcap_log.txt (41.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: txt kfmon_log.txt (89.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Can you try this one, and do *not* touch the screen at the end (wait for the 10s timeout)?

(I kinda forgot about this bit ;p).

The goal is to avoid any broken Nickel refresh for the final screenshot .
Attached Files
File Type: gz Kobo-DevCap-Test.tar.gz (650.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
undecimo

Done. Did not touch the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	devcap_done.png
Views:	296
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	189757  
Attached Files
File Type: txt devcap_log.txt (26.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, that looks slightly less worse .

Does stuff magically work if you copy the fbdepth binary from that final package to the koreader folder (.adds/koreader, FYI), overwriting the older one in there?

(I suspect we're not quite there yet, though. I'll double-check the kernel tomorrow, once I have a working brain again ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-22-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

To that effect, try this one, which dumps a few more things in the log .

(I also wouldn't mind an actual *picture* of the screen after the test, because the screengrab are getting confused by the rotation shenanigans ;p).
Attached Files
File Type: gz Kobo-DevCap-Test.tar.gz (650.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 10-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #11
undecimo

Working perfectly with one additional edit to device.lua. touch_mirrored_x needs to be false.

So good to be back in KOReader, I really don't like Nickel...
Old 10-22-2021, 10:57 PM   #12
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Does stuff magically work if you copy the fbdepth binary from that final package to the koreader folder (.adds/koreader, FYI), overwriting the older one in there?
It does with touch_mirrored_x = false,

Glad to have it up and running without weird mirror world shenanigans... I made the mistake of upgrading for the 32gb and then realized, oh no, can't live without koreader. Now I can start playing around with it!
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'm not entirely convinced we're quite there yet...

Could you try enabling KFMon's boot spinner (touch /mnt/onboard/.adds/kfmon/config/BAR), rebooting, and then sending me the KFMon log again?
Old 10-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
undecimo

Sure, here's the log.
Attached Files
File Type: txt kfmon_log.txt (144.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Ahah, inching closer to the truth...

Could I get a *picture* of the screen/device after running this version (again, no touching ;p).
Attached Files
File Type: gz Kobo-DevCap-Test.tar.gz (650.6 KB, 114 views)