Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #76
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
That's odd. I've gone a day and a half without charging and some light usage (about 20-30 minutes at a stretch, three times so far) and I'm only down to 80%. Maybe it's the fact I keep my Wifi off when not in use, by turning it off using either Airplane Mode or else by manually going into the settings area to shut down WiFi, versus the sleep policy? As for the changes, what changes did you make, since you said they were 'minimal'? Are there any new running services? My big two were freezing the apps which kept going online (Rdio, Inq) along with all the stub apps (Twitter, Gmail, Facebook) and then using a third-party homescreen launcher and keyboards.

Also, no freezing. I'm starting to think my unit was what the Kobo Vox team were using to test when they deployed this patch...
My battery is like yours and I've had excellent success with it so far. The problem is that once the Vox gets this never-wake-from-sleep bug, the only thing that keeps it from doing this is not using Airplane Mode and keeping your WiFi set to never-sleep. So this drains the battery when it hangs out in sleep mode for most of the day. This is the reason I've resorted to just turning it off since I would rather a mostly charged Vox that I have to turn on then a drained Vox.

As for my minimal changes, I described most of it above. I did remove Inq and Rdio and downloaded only a few additional apps.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #77
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
LauraPony and Haesslich, exactly why were or are you not turning off your Vox when you're not using it? Is it because you're too impatient to wait the 30-odd seconds for it to boot in case you decide you need it on the spur of the moment? It's not like a PC with spinning mechanical hard drives that may sustain more wear from repeated starting and stopping. I turn off my Vox when I'm not using it, but you can tell the Green Police that my PCs have been running 24/7 for decades.
Yeah, the start up is a little more than 30 seconds. I want my ereading experience to be as similar to reading a real book as possible and that means being able to grab it from my bag, open to the page I'm at, and read right away, as opposed to waiting a couple of minutes for it all to start up. I am used to turning it off every night after I'm done reading, but I don't love to do it between each session during the day to avoid the inevitable battery drain of WiFi never-sleep or hard reset that will be required after it won't wake up from sleep.
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #78
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
My battery is like yours and I've had excellent success with it so far. The problem is that once the Vox gets this never-wake-from-sleep bug, the only thing that keeps it from doing this is not using Airplane Mode and keeping your WiFi set to never-sleep. So this drains the battery when it hangs out in sleep mode for most of the day. This is the reason I've resorted to just turning it off since I would rather a mostly charged Vox that I have to turn on then a drained Vox.

As for my minimal changes, I described most of it above. I did remove Inq and Rdio and downloaded only a few additional apps.
I don't get the death of sleep now, with Airplane mode on or off. I will get a delay from unlock if I left amp third party PDF reader open (so the screen takes 3-5 seconds to turn on after the press) when it went to sleep, so I make sure I'm on the home screen when I power off.

And by "remove", do you mean you deleted the APK files manually, or did you leave them in place but disabled/frozen?
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #79
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Okay, now I understand the purpose of sleep mode. I'll just let it go to sleep with wifi off from now on instead of ever shutting it down to see if anything weird happens. I'll also see if the battery charges up normally overnight in sleep mode. If not, that's when I'll only shut it down.

I do seem to recall when I first got it, the screen would go off too soon and I'd have to push the power button and then unlock it. Sometimes I had to push the button longer so it would restart. Now I have the screen time-out at 10 minutes and haven't had to do that too often.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #80
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
The problem is that once the Vox gets this never-wake-from-sleep bug, the only thing that keeps it from doing this is not using Airplane Mode and keeping your WiFi set to never-sleep. So this drains the battery when it hangs out in sleep mode for most of the day.
Right now I'm letting mine just go to sleep in airplane mode to see if I get the same problems. But how do you set wifi to never-sleep? I don't see that option. Is that in an additional app or a feature of your router?
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #81
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Right now I'm letting mine just go to sleep in airplane mode to see if I get the same problems. But how do you set wifi to never-sleep? I don't see that option. Is that in an additional app or a feature of your router?
If you go into the wifi settings and click the menu button, you get an advanced option which contains wifi sleep policy.

However, chances are you will still experience "sleep death" unless you leave the wifi on which sucks battery so...
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #82
oldyellr
Evangelist

Okay, I see that. Looks like it's at wifi sleep when screen turns off by default, which is where I'll leave it for now.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #83
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Sorry, my post may not have been clear. The way I see it, right now you most likely have two options to avoid sleep death:

1. Set wifi sleep policy to never and leave wifi on and put the unit to sleep. Battery will drain.

2. Turn the unit off completely.

Last edited by mr_nobody; 11-30-2011 at 12:53 PM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #84
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
And by "remove", do you mean you deleted the APK files manually, or did you leave them in place but disabled/frozen?
By remove, I just mean deleting the apps from the home screen. I haven't done anything else, but it has never been an issue for me or a battery drain. I had the Vox for 30 days with this setting getting really ideal battery and no sleep-of-death. As soon as 31 days hit, sleep-of-death settled in.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #85
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
I had the Vox for 30 days with this setting getting really ideal battery and no sleep-of-death. As soon as 31 days hit, sleep-of-death settled in.
It's because your return policy was 30 days...never fails!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #86
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got past the 30 day mark here... and it froze at 4pm after turning itself on, screen staying on. I didn't notice until taking it out at 5pmHad closed all apps, turned on airplane mode. Unplugged this morning. I lost 20% battery life in that hour including the restart. When it froze after the reset, I had only plugged it in for 5 minutes and the screen had just timed out. When I turned it on, it said "SD card unexpectedly removed" on the status bar - and would not respond to the touch-sensitive controls, only the power button.

Something for Kobo to look into.

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-30-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: correcting typos from small keyboard
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #87
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Yup, my Vox does not like airplane mode. Won't be touching that until the next update.

Yesterday I didn't put the vox into sleep mode unless I left the wifi on, and when I did so, the battery ended up draining over the course of the day. Today I've had other things to do so I haven't been reading much, so I've just left it turned off. When I go out, the Vox goes with me in my purse. I used to do that with the Sony, too, which basically lived in sleep mode when I wasn't using it. I would only ever restart the sony once in while if it started to become sluggish. Before this sleep issue, the Vox was in sleep mode in my purse, but now that it has to have the wifi on in sleep mode, that drains the battery so it is switched completely off if I go somewhere. For longer road trips, I'll bring the charger and plug it in while on the road. I wish the charger's prongs folded down like the Sony's do, would make it easier to slip into a purse. (I'm not sure it would be safe to use the Sony charger for the Vox.)

I'm glad that between everyone posting their symptoms here, it looks like we've all been able to narrow the problem down and now the developers know what to look at. I am confident that they'll be able to come up with a fix for this. In the meantime, at least we now know how to manage it. What I will likely do if I'm home all day is leave the wifi on when the Vox is in sleep mode, but leave it plugged into the charger unless I'm actually reading, and turn off the wifi if I'm reading and I don't need to use the wifi...as long as I remember to turn it back on before putting it back into sleep mode...kind of backwards from what I would normally do.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #88
Haesslich
Fanatic

Airport mode was solving my problems, up until today. Then he bag holding the Vox flopped forward with the Vox in the side that fell forward with the screen facing the desktop. No other movement beyond that and being carried to work. Maybe something was knocked loose? There was that SD card error.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #89
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
Since the last update, the Vox setting "Set date and time automatically from networok" doesn't work for me anymore. Has anyone else experienced the same?
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #90
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Since the last update, the Vox setting "Set date and time automatically from networok" doesn't work for me anymore. Has anyone else experienced the same?
Since the beginning I'm pretty sure my time zone (Atlantic) has always been an hour off, so I just set my date and clock manually.

Last edited by LauraPony; 12-01-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Because I forgot which time zone I live in. Duh.