Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Wow, what a nice device!

I bought a refurbished Nook WiFi ($99 from B&N eBay) because I thought it would be a nice present for a dear friend who wants a reader. Today it arrived over here (a friend in USA was a middle (wo)man).
One small problem though... I'm not sure I can actually give this baby up! I love it! Not as much as my Sony 350, but almost! The screen is fantastic. I don't have my 350 here right now so I can't compare them side to side, but the Nook screen is really good!
Page turns are really fast, both when using the buttons and when swiping (a thumb swipe works really well the way I like to hold it).
It's such a shame the sideloaded books are treated like like something of less importance and can't be in the cover flow (unless I dare take the plunge to root, haven't checked out what hardware version it is just yet)
This is so much bang for the bucks!
Now I have to decide just how dear my friend is. Since she doesn't know about it and really doesn't "need" it until her summer holiday, maybe I can play with it for a while...

Last edited by Asawi; 03-17-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I bought a refurbished Nook WiFi ($99 from B&N eBay) because I thought it would be a nice present for a dear friend who wants a reader. Today it arrived over here (a friend in USA was a middle (wo)man).
One small problem though... I'm not sure I can actually give this baby up! .
I paid 2 and a half times that much for mine. I bought it when they first came out so there were no wifi or refurbished versions. You should buy your own and stop wearing out your friends. . They are are a lot nicer if you root it.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
nice size

I like the nook rather well myself. Just got a new one recently. The one thing I am not happy about is that I think the software is not as user friendly as it could be, sometimes simple is better. Too many options in some ways. Now that I am more used to it, it doesn't bother me as much.

Though I am not happy that I cannot easily swap the page turning buttons. Seems like with all the other features, they managed to forget that one?!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I agree that the software could be better. And I also would like to be able to customize the function of the page turning buttons.
The reading experience, once the book is up there and you're reading along, is amazing though. This screen must be so close to the pearl ink screens! (I can only compare it to my 350, and comparing a 5" and a 6" isn't quite right, but they seem very similar to me.)
And Eddie, I have bought one for myself as well now! Ooops!
(Amy, your cat looks exactly like the last one I had, but mine didn't do much reading... )
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
For some reason I think the nook doesn't always get a fair shake. Most people that I know love it once they actually get to use it. I would root mine, but I already rooted my nook color so the classic can stay stock...for now!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I've been very pleased with my Nook. And I've seen the screen side by side with a Kindle 3, there's really not a ton of difference. Kindle's pearl screen is a bit brighter, but both are great.

I do wish BN would dump the separate library thing, but these days I mostly just sideload all my books onto my memory card, so it's less of an issue. My unit has been very reliable for the almost 8 months I've had it. My main complaint is short battery life. Otherwise, I really like swiping to turn pages. If I had more money, I'd consider a Sony 950, but Nook WiFi was a good deal at $149, even if it's been available for less since we bought.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote