Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-16-2019, 10:28 PM   #16711
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenova96 View Post
Would be better if the codes would just work, but the fix was speedy.

Their customer service fixes ARE fast. I rang about a Price Match request that was delayed, within 24 hours, they'd credited my account with the Price Match guarantee twice. It worked too, because I promptly spent the unexpected bonus
Old 02-17-2019, 01:33 AM   #16712
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I wonder what's up with price matching at Kobo. They used to do it fairly quickly, but several times in the past month, it's taken a week or more, and once I had to send them a screenshot (not the first time, but it's been rare). I also had a 40% or 50% off coupon code fail recently, and when I talked to customer service, they immediately gave me a refund so that I could buy my book.

Also, my VIP expired a couple of days ago, and even though they sent me an email suggesting that I can use 4000 points to get a new membership, it's only giving me the option of spending $10 for one. Has anyone been else been able to buy a year's VIP membership with points in the last month or two after letting it lapse?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2019, 05:53 PM   #16713
Amaryllis
Connoisseur
Amaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it isAmaryllis knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
Mine is due to lapse one day soon, and I am hoping to use points to renew it.
Last year though, I remember that I couldn't renew with points until about a week after my membership expired.
Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #16714
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryllis View Post
Mine is due to lapse one day soon, and I am hoping to use points to renew it.
Last year though, I remember that I couldn't renew with points until about a week after my membership expired.
I just did that. Click on super points then explore VIP membership and you can exchange your 4000 points for the VIP. Cheaper than $10 for sure!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #16715
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
It's not much, but since codes are pretty scarce these days . . .
WELCOME20 is good for 20%. It's an old code but I just used it on my years old account and it worked. I'm sure I must have used it before.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #16716
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I couldn't get it to work for me. My birthday was a week ago and none of the birthday codes would work for me either and I didn't get an email at all this year.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #16717
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Kobo recently sent me a 50% code (4MQH79) which didn't work on any of the books I tried it on. It's now expired. Today they sent me something that could potentially be useful - a top-up of points sufficient for a VIP upgrade. I've never been a VIP, or looked into the advantages, but presumably it is worthwhile, even for someone who may only buy about 5 to 10 books from Kobo in a year? Almost exclusively non-fiction.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #16718
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by artig View Post
Kobo recently sent me a 50% code (4MQH79) which didn't work on any of the books I tried it on. It's now expired. Today they sent me something that could potentially be useful - a top-up of points sufficient for a VIP upgrade. I've never been a VIP, or looked into the advantages, but presumably it is worthwhile, even for someone who may only buy about 5 to 10 books from Kobo in a year? Almost exclusively non-fiction.
Since you're in New Zealand, I'm not sure. In the US, if you can buy a book with points, typically from a smaller press not affiliated with the big 5 publishers (Holtzbrinck/Macmillan, Hatchette, Random House/Penguin, Simon & Schuster, Harper Collins), then if you're in the VIP program, you'll get a 10% discount, and for every book you buy, regardless of whether it's discounted, you'll get double VIP points. A VIP member also gets one free book from limited selection (100-200 books), and the choices are usually fiction mostly romance or mysteries. You could get the VIP upgrade, turn off the automatic renewal, and then decide later whether it's useful to you. If you don't get a free book from the VIP list because nothing interests you, and none of the books you want to buy can be bought with points, then it won't be worth renewing.

Also, it wasn't clear why the coupon didn't work. In the US, the coupon only works on books that can be bought with points (i.e., can be discounted), but sometimes the coupon doesn't work anyway. If it's the latter, contact Kobo customer service, and they'll work it out so you get the discount anyway.

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 03-04-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added 2nd paragraph, made clear only 1 free book a year
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #16719
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by artig View Post
Unless they are fairly expensive books I don't think it would be worth getting VIP membership for just 5-10 books per year.

The points are potentially worth about $2.50 per 1000 points, provided you use them wisely, so if you spend $400 + GST per year then it is worth getting VIP membership for the extra points alone.

If you spend less than that then you need to be able to make use of the 10% VIP discount and other features to make VIP worthwhile, and whether you can do that dpends a lot on the type of books you buy and who the publishers are.

I only buy fiction so I don't know much about the situation with non-fiction pricing, but in New Zealand some big publishers are discountable but price differently at different retailers. E.g. Penguin Random House fiction books are discountable in New Zealand, but their prices are usually lower at Apple than at Kobo, so a 10% VIP discount is not useful, you are better of just using Kobo's price match to get 10% off the Apple price, and you don't need to be a VIP to use price match.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:51 AM   #16720
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Thanks for the advice, bgalbrecht and GeoffR. I used the points for a VIP membership, and turned off automatic update. But I couldn't find a single one of the freebies that was of any interest. However, getting 10% off some of the books I would have purchased anyway are a bonus. Hopefully the list of freebies changes now and then so there may be one that's worthwhile within the next year or so.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:04 AM   #16721
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, the list of freebies does change.
lkmiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #16722
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yes, the list of freebies does change.
Plus you now have the whole year of your membership to choose which VIP freebie book you want. (As opposed to when the program first started and you only had a limited time to pick).
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #16723
ExpatVietnam
Enthusiast
ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.ExpatVietnam understands the importance of being earnest.

Location: Bangladesh. (I didn't think about the permanence of my username.) Sigh.
Device: Kobo Glo, Fire10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesmom View Post
It's not much, but since codes are pretty scarce these days . . .
WELCOME20 is good for 20%. It's an old code but I just used it on my years old account and it worked. I'm sure I must have used it before.
Ha! Totally forgot this code existed, tried it today and it actually worked even though I have absolutely used it some time in the past 10 years.

Thanks for the reminder. Now I have to go through all the codes that this thread has on page 1 to see if any of them will re-work.
ExpatVietnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:50 PM   #16724
zelda.owns.link
Evangelist
zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda.owns.link ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Save on Boxed Sets

Ends March 25th
zelda.owns.link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #16725
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
A long shot, but I'm looking for a 75+% coupon, if someone has one they aren't going to use.

Nevermind: The book I was looking at drastically reduced in price and now I can get it free with the kobo points!

Last edited by peachiekene; 04-02-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: explained in edit.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals