Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-13-2023, 04:08 PM   #16
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
We have both the Kindle 2022 and the Paperwhite 6.8. Both devices are excellent.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:30 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have no clue how slow your tablet is. But unless you have a bunch of extraneous crap on it, it still may be faster than the fastest Kindle. It might be worth your time to go to a local Best Buy where you can play with one of the black and white Kindles in person.
If it's anything like my Fire 7 it's probably slower than molasses in January. I bought an 8 GB one and Amazon started adding more and more applications that you can't delete, so almost the whole amount of available memory is taken up with crap I'd never want to use. I've got a MicroSD inserted, but it's not much help because of the way Android doesn't let you really install applications on external memory. I would imagine that newer Fire tablets (with more memory) would be better, but the if the OP's Fire Tablet is still called a Kindle, it's probably even slower than my Fire 7. I think a new Paperwhite would be a huge improvement.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Removing the DRM from Kindle books without an eink Kindle is pretty difficult now. There were several posters here who didn't manage to get the Android workaround to work.
I'm thinking most of the OP's Kindle eBooks are pre-2023 and thus can have the DRM removed and be converted to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If it's anything like my Fire 7 it's probably slower than molasses in January.
I bought one of those $50 Fire tablets when they were on a Black Friday sale years ago. It was still a waste of the money spent.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #20
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
thank you Sirtel, I don't want color, or need it I should say but I've heard good things about paperwhites. Do you have one and would you say it's a lot faster than a Kindle Fire 7? I definitely want faster and I do have great internet/wifi here
I've got the latest PaperWhite and it's pretty snappy with page turn and other functions. I can't imagine anyone wanting it to be any faster.

If you can wait until Prime Day (July?), Amazon has a history of offering pretty generous trade offers for older devices along with Prime Day discount. They also do it on Black Friday. For me, this was the tipping point in favor of the PW vs the Kobo. Kobo has a lot going for it but I couldn't see paying triple the cost (after trade discounts) over the PW.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:01 PM   #21
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't have a Paperwhite, but I did have an Oasis (which was previous generation) and it sure was fast. I'd guess the Paperwhite, which is a newer Kindle, wouldn't be any slower.
I don't have an Oasis, but I do have a Paperwhite 5, and my understanding is that it uses new screen technology that makes it faster than the Oasis. In side-by-side comparisons with my Paperwhite 4, the Paperwhite 5 completes page turns more quickly.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:15 PM   #22
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
> It was in Sept. 2014 when Amazon dropped the Kindle Fire name for Fire. From what I vaguely remember, there were quite a few complaints about people buying the wrong item due to the Kindle in both names.

The one thing that made the Fire tablet a Kindle for me was that I could use it with books borrowed from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library that allowed Prime members to borrow one book a month. Since they got rid of that program, it has had no special advantage over the Kindle app in my Likebook Mars, and I can totally see how it would be misleading to call it a Kindle. The Android app has very different capabilities than the firmware on a Kindle device, and its main advantages are for audio books and magazines. For most books, I prefer an e-ink Kindle device, and I have used my Fire tablet for reading books mainly when the book made some important use of color.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
I've got the latest PaperWhite and it's pretty snappy with page turn and other functions. I can't imagine anyone wanting it to be any faster.

If you can wait until Prime Day (July?), Amazon has a history of offering pretty generous trade offers for older devices along with Prime Day discount. They also do it on Black Friday. For me, this was the tipping point in favor of the PW vs the Kobo. Kobo has a lot going for it but I couldn't see paying triple the cost (after trade discounts) over the PW.
Just a caveat: You can't trade in a Fire tablet on a Kindle.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote