Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-13-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
miral
miral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW10 & KT3
Replace Kindle PW, bigger display, same weight

I have the Kindle PW10. It's a few years old. I messed it up by installing the latest firmware.

Now I think about replacing it with something with a bigger screen. Although I'm not willing to compromise much on weight. And there should be a good case available.

So, I'm thinking tolino, kobo.

I don't have any requirements for the software except for it it being convenient to use. The kindle UI annoys me with the current firmware.
miral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Possibly the Kobo Libra 2 would meet your needs. It has a 7" screen and weighs in at 215gm gm compared to the PW10 at either 182gm or 192gm (WiFi only or WiFi & 4G). Personally I like the Kobo UI and it integrates very well with calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 04:59 AM   #3
miral

Thank you. I will check it out.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you buy a PW5 or Oasis 3, they will come with the new UI loaded. So if the new UI is a bother, forget getting another Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:57 PM   #5
miral

Right. I'd better not.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:44 AM   #6
miral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Possibly the Kobo Libra 2 would meet your needs. It has a 7" screen and weighs in at 215gm gm compared to the PW10 at either 182gm or 192gm (WiFi only or WiFi & 4G). Personally I like the Kobo UI and it integrates very well with calibre.
Which one of the 8 inch readers you have do you like best?
Old 03-16-2023, 04:47 AM   #7
miral

I think Tolino Epos 2 is a good choice. 8 inches and under 200 grams.
I'm just worried about quality of hardware and software..
Old 03-16-2023, 07:09 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo software has a lot more options than Tolino, but that's not important to everyone. If you use Calibre, Kobo is the best choice, but again, not everyone does. Whatever floats your boat.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:36 AM   #9
miral

Interesting. I use Calibre all the time!
Old 03-16-2023, 07:46 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by miral View Post
Interesting. I use Calibre all the time!
Well, on a Kobo you can update metadata (including series info) and sort books into collections automatically, without having to do it manually. Calibre just sends the necessary information to your device while connected. AFAIK you can't do that with any other brand.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #11
Parsley
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by miral View Post
Which one of the 8 inch readers you have do you like best?
If size and weight are important to you, you might want to look at a Kobo Forma, which has an 8 inch screen and weighs 197g. It's not one of their current models, but Kobo still sells refurbished Formas and they're still very much supported. Some people here seem to dislike the buttons, and the screen is of the previous generation from the Libra 2, but I've really liked the Formas I've used.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:56 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, on a Kobo you can update metadata (including series info) and sort books into collections automatically, without having to do it manually. Calibre just sends the necessary information to your device while connected. AFAIK you can't do that with any other brand.
PocketBook also.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:16 AM   #13
miral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
If size and weight are important to you, you might want to look at a Kobo Forma, which has an 8 inch screen and weighs 197g. It's not one of their current models, but Kobo still sells refurbished Formas and they're still very much supported.
Sounds good. Fewer features and less weight is what I want.