Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-26-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
F4in7_
F4in7_ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question First Time Product Recommendation

I've read a bit online about what kind of e-readers are available, but as a person who has never owned one, I would like some advice.

I have a budget so I don't wanna go off with the most expensive ones, but what I'm looking for is something that could handle my .epub library (because I mostly have all my books there + I might end up not using my brand's online library at all). What kind of brands are friendly to users like me?
F4in7_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 02:55 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
From personal experience, I used a Kindle for around 10 years. Then replaced it with a Kobo Libra 2 last year and it is definitely (for my use) more satisfying than the Kindle.

It allows me to sort my books into sets, and orders within those sets, that is not possible on a Kindle. My book titles are clean, and haven't been hijacked to add set information or advertising.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:24 PM   #3
F4in7_

I've seen some reviews on that, are the buttons really that much of an issue?
Old 02-26-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
F4in7_

correction: my bad, that was Sage not Libra 2
Old 02-26-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I have a Sage and my wife has a Libra 2. Neither of us has noticed any issues with the buttons. Overall, we have both been very happy with our Kobos (SWMBO told me I'm allowed to write that. ).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:47 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4in7_ View Post
...What kind of brands are friendly to users like me?
I would look at PocketBook or Kobo. I like PocketBooks because ADE is "built in" and I use Linux (so no Adobe Digital Editions). I can borrow or buy books directly using PocketBook's browser -- though I usually use my computer. It's nice to have the option. With Kobos you can use Overdrive from the device (if you live in one of the countries that this feature is enabled, the U.S. is one of them). You can buy books from Kobo on the device, but you won't be able to directly buy from another seller, like eBooks.com (for example). This only matters if you don't use your computer for buying books, or if (like me) you use Linux and can't install Adobe Digital Editions.

You can also use Calibre and a couple of its plugins to bypass ADE.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:19 PM   #7
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
I would go with a Kobo Clara (either HD or 2E). The Sage and Libra are both very nice, but there's not enough of a difference that I'd recommend either over the Clara for a basic first ereader, especially as they tend to be significantly more expensive. I tend to think of them as more "upgrade" options.

As to the page turn buttons - no, I don't think they're as big a deal as some people make them sound, especially if you don't have a years-long history of using them. It's just personal preference. If you're used to a touchscreen phone or a tablet, you shouldn't have any issues with a touchscreen-only ereader.

A Kobo will be able to read epub files without any need for conversion (though you can use Calibre to change them to kepubs if you decide to). Kobos also have a lot of good built-in support for sorting your books in different ways, which is nice for a large library.

EDIT: misread your post asking about buttons on the Sage to be about buttons on ereaders in general. Oops.

Last edited by dreambeat; 02-26-2023 at 11:22 PM.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:24 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But if your the type who likes to tinker with eBooks to fix the poor formatting, then Pocketbook to be able to download eBooks on the device is irreverent.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:02 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if your the type who likes to tinker with eBooks to fix the poor formatting, then Pocketbook to be able to download eBooks on the device is irreverent.
Kobo is the religious choice?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not irrelevant if you're traveling.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote