Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Disconnecting from Computer

I have a problem that developed over the past few months. At first, my Kobo would connect then after a minute or two the computer would show the Kobo connected, but it was not accessible (neither read nor write) but it did show as connected. The problem progressed to being unable to connect at all. The Kobo showed as connected, but there was no read/write access.

So, step one, try two different USB cables connected both directly to the USB ports and to a USB hub. No change.

Tried a new USB cable. No change.

Well, now I have narrowed it down to the Kobo or the computer. So, I investigate the Kobo driver through the device manager. The Kobo shows as disabled (code 22 this device is diabled). Trying to enable it failed. I tried updating the driver and there was none newer.

So, I tried removing the driver all together. Then, when I re-attached the Kobo, it connected and I had (briefly) read/write access.

Now we reach the limits of my computer skills.

So, can anybody replicate this problem? Is the Kobo driver responsible? As I think about it, the problem did come about around the time of the 2.0 or 2.1 upgrade and became worse around the time of the 2.3.1 update.

Any suggestions?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Do you have another computer you can check with? There have been some problems like this caused by using older computers.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Something intersting; as the problem appears to be with Kobo drivers, I thought I would uninstall and reinstall the kobo desktop. In doing so, I got a usb error in re-installing and was told my new usb hardware may not work correctly. Well, I had very little USB stuff connected and running, but I did have 2 usb memeory sticks connected. I again uninstalled, removed the memory sticks and re-installed and did not encounter the error.

Now to see if my Kobo behaves better.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
nogle
Gangnam style!

Well, it just gets more and more interesting...

After re-installing, the Kobo would fail to connect, although the computer gave the "bong" noise indicating somethign attached. Investigating with the device manager, I found a "usb hard drive" was disabled (code 22). Attempting to enable it was successful and it was the Kobo. Now, it appears to stay connected.

So, I think the culprit was a excessive number of USB memory sticks attached. I had always assumed that the memory sticks were innocuous and that with USB, there was some physical address limit to the number of devices; a number so high as to be impossible to reach for practical purposes.

But, another lesson learned; USB sticks can interfere with kobo by some mysterious mechanism.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Do you have another computer you can check with? There have been some problems like this caused by using older computers.
I appreciate you blaming my archaic computer hardware. It gives me reason to look for a replacement.
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I appreciate you blaming my archaic computer hardware. It gives me reason to look for a replacement.
Glad to be of service
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had the same problems with my Kobo Touch. Tried everything (different computers, different cables etc.) and finally contacted the customer service. They recommended a factory reset, but with no results. In the end it seemed that the USB port of the Kobo was broken and I could exchange it for a new one at the shop where I bought it!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I had the same problems with my Kobo Touch. Tried everything (different computers, different cables etc.) and finally contacted the customer service. They recommended a factory reset, but with no results. In the end it seemed that the USB port of the Kobo was broken and I could exchange it for a new one at the shop where I bought it!
This is the problem I was trying to rule out because:
1. I am out of warranty, and
2. It was a gradual problem. When things break, they tend to stop working suddenly and completely.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
This is the problem I was trying to rule out because:
1. I am out of warranty, and
2. It was a gradual problem. When things break, they tend to stop working suddenly and completely.
No good news about the warranty. I was lucky,I had about 2 weeks left of my warranty!
For me it was a gradual problem, too. Sometimes it worked, most of the time it didn't work right. Everything between one and five minutes until the connection was lost.

I hope you can figure out what is wrong with your KT if it is not a hardware problem!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote