Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #76
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's an EEE PC 901. I'm inordinately fond of the strange flavor of Linux it came with (sort of a mutant Xandros) but since ASUS seems to have forgotten that they ever created such a machine (to the point of removing compatible Linux software from their website; now if you try the "get more software" link, it takes you to a really useless Windows website!) I have to find the time to figure out which other Linux distro will work best for it. There seem to be innumerable supposedly compatible varieties, and sorting through them is going to take a lot of time.

Incidentally, I have small hands (very handy for working on the engines of Honda Civics!) so I don't have a problem typing on my 901, but yes, someone with larger hands would probably have a problem.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #77
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
yup. Plus, with that tiny keyboard, unless you're a kid surfing the web is your only bet really. Tablets just get that out of the way altogether.

strangely enough, I've had a far easier time with the virtual swype keyboard in my smartphone than with the damned tiny and useless netbook keyboards... I can only imagine it's the same with tablets...
It's not just the size of the keyboard but the architecture (for lack of a better word). My typing on my Droid X is similar (meaning I typo just as often ) to my typing on my HP Mini whose keyboard, according to HP, is 93% standard size. On the other hand, my Acer Aspire One had a full-size keyboard, but they weren't keys; it felt like typing on a jigsaw puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's a little fuzzier than that. Generally, a true netbook has a different screen resolution (more scrolling), less memory and a netbook processor (ie, Atom). Many of them run XP or a stripped down Vista / Win7. There are some extremely small laptop/notebook computers with full or HD resolution screens, more memory and a more powerful (though still CULV) processor. They don't have optical drives, but they aren't true netbooks either. I'm typing this on one right now - a Dell Inspiron 11z.
I don't know that there has ever been any true industry-standard definition, but the rule retailers in the U.S. follow is, it's a netbook if:
  1. it doesn't have an optical drive, and
  2. the screen size is 11.6" or smaller.
Again, this is in the U.S., it might be different elsewhere. I've seen them with full versions of XP, my own runs a full version of Win7 Home Premium with Aero; even the Grand Vizier of bloat known as Vista has been installed OEM on some Acers. I've seen them with Core Duos as well as VIA C7's. Mine dual-boots Xubuntu; I've installed Arch and Debian on them as well, and even got a copy of Mandriva to fly on that Aspire One. The biggest Acer netbooks (by their definition) can do 720p HD, so I'm not sure that's a deciding factor either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I wanted the smallest laptop I could find that was not a netbook, and this fit the bill. With the battery upgrade, it gets up to 6 hours on a charge (in reality, not just on paper). I've owned a lot of computers over the years, and this one is by far my favorite.
The exact same device you have is called a notebook by Dell but a netbook by Acer. I've noticed that a lot of retailers have given up on the term netbook entirely; maybe it was hurting sales. Maybe this fragmentation is why the market is having such an identity crisis, and not the nebulous definition(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It's an EEE PC 901. I'm inordinately fond of the strange flavor of Linux it came with (sort of a mutant Xandros) but since ASUS seems to have forgotten that they ever created such a machine (to the point of removing compatible Linux software from their website; now if you try the "get more software" link, it takes you to a really useless Windows website!) I have to find the time to figure out which other Linux distro will work best for it. There seem to be innumerable supposedly compatible varieties, and sorting through them is going to take a lot of time.
Xandros has a (not entirely undeserved) reputation for being trialware; similar to Mandriva and VectorLinux, you can buy "upgrades" (which are basically drivers and maybe a copy of Crossover Office) to make everything work whereas most mainstream distros will merely try to make you feel guilty for using codecs that don't meet Richard Stallman's definition of "free". For a few reasons I'm not fond of that method of doing business but that's not my decision to make. Anyway, since the 901 has either the GMA950 or 945GME chipset (Asus doesn't seem to want anyone to know which), it should run pretty much any flavor of Linux, the big difference being getting the wireless drivers to play nice. The *buntu versions are good for that but tend to run a bit slow on 1GB netbooks. One that I found worked really well was called ArchBang; it's ArchLinux preassembled with the Openbox window manager. Not a lot of flashiness but it's quick and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Incidentally, I have small hands (very handy for working on the engines of Honda Civics!) so I don't have a problem typing on my 901, but yes, someone with larger hands would probably have a problem.
My wife has the T91MT and very small hands. She can't stand typing on it.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #78
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, that's exciting. Much better than my rather crippled Asus Eee T91 MT. It still has some issues though:

1. Price
2. Battery life
3. Size/weight, my netbook is more portable than this

1.)Price -- really not expensive compared to the Motorola Zoom or the IPad. You get 64GB SSD, 12.1" screen, 4GB RAM, a free MS bluetooth keyboard, a pressure sensitive Wacom touch screen with eraser, etc. Of course, to sell in large quantities the price must come down. There are many ways to do that. This is a first trial baloon.

2.)+3.)Battery life, size, and weight could all be addressed by going for a 10" screen and Sandy Bridge processors. My assessment is that this is a wonderful first attempt and seeing what is possible already we should have full computing power, a relatively small tablet factor, weight below 2 pounds, and more than 6 hours of battery life this year already. Then price will really be the only reason to buy an Android tablet or iPad. And let them make 8" or 9" versions next year, and as components get cheaper -- this will get them down to $4-500 next year. Now the question is -- can Android hard- and software progress enough to offer real computing power by then? Apple apparently doesn't want to do that.

I would like a tablet, but I travel a lot. And I don't want to take a notebook AND a tablet with me. Besides, a tablet that can function as a second computer would be an ideal solution, even around the house.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #79
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Wow - I turn my head away for one second and suddenly the language changes from English to Geek.
simonroyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #80
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonroyle View Post
Wow - I turn my head away for one second and suddenly the language changes from English to Geek.
Today geeks rule the world, in case you haven't noticed.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #81
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, that's exciting. Much better than my rather crippled Asus Eee T91 MT. It still has some issues though:

1. Price
2. Battery life
3. Size/weight, my netbook is more portable than this
Consider the price of a full notebook with those specs. I think it's not fair to compare it with a netbook as it is much more powerful. And thus the price will be higher, batterly life lower and size and weight larger. If I had the money, I'd buy one in a flash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I would like a tablet, but I travel a lot. And I don't want to take a notebook AND a tablet with me. Besides, a tablet that can function as a second computer would be an ideal solution, even around the house.
Same here. Which is why I'd love to be able to buy that Acer. But if this is a first real try, I'm hopeful for the future!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #82
Bratnikotin
Bratnikotin began at the beginning.

Device: none
I like to think that any device is made for me, and not the other way around.
When you get led on by the advertisement and start thinking taht "Yes, I need it, it does this and it does that and such and so.. and that's why i need it as air to breathe" it is still you who is in control. Not the device. The thoughts are in your heads. The advertisers just showed you the picture, which happened to be more beautiful than the one you saw before.

Last edited by Bratnikotin; 02-09-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Bratnikotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #83
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
What you're really talking about is the producer/consumer divide. Tablets are geared to comsumers and laptop/notebook/netbook/desktops are geared towards producers.

Laptop/notebook/netbook/desktops are used to create content as much as they consume it. (even writing an E-mail is creating content).

Tablets are used mostly to watch/listen/play existing content, with the touch screen acting as a souped-up remote control. While you can create some content, it's awkward and inconvenient (and sometimes impossible, like no optical drives.)

If that's what floats your boat, more power to you. Those of us who insist on having more creative options aren't drawn to tablets.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #84
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
What you're really talking about is the producer/consumer divide. Tablets are geared to comsumers and laptop/notebook/netbook/desktops are geared towards producers.

Laptop/notebook/netbook/desktops are used to create content as much as they consume it. (even writing an E-mail is creating content).

Tablets are used mostly to watch/listen/play existing content, with the touch screen acting as a souped-up remote control. While you can create some content, it's awkward and inconvenient (and sometimes impossible, like no optical drives.)

If that's what floats your boat, more power to you. Those of us who insist on having more creative options aren't drawn to tablets.
For me, the great thing is more choice in the marketplace, and being able to own multiple devices. I don't need to insist on one or the other. I choose both.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #85
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Dead as subject/verb agreement.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote