Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
arkietech
Connoisseur
arkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toysarkietech shares his or her toys

Device: pc
Is the laptop and personal freedom dead?

I heard Rupert Murdoch say this morning during the Daily News announcement, a new iPad app, that the laptop is dead..replaced by the iPad.

I like to do what pleases me .. not Apple.. I have written off the ipad. The iPad is totally controlled by Apple. You get what Apple or Rupert wants you to get or what will let them dig deeper into your pocket.

I like products like calibre and Sigil that "Let you manage". I use a HP mini and Nook for PC for an ereader and really like it. Having a PC for a reader allows me to use my custom Bible reader and other software that is not and never will be available on iPad.

I don't want to lose this freedom. If there are others that feel this way, it is time to speak up!

Last edited by arkietech; 02-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
arkietech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Rupert Murdoch can say whatever he wants, but he's irrelevant to my tech decisions.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad is a very attractive device - I find mine to be extremely useful (I'm writing this on my iPad now). But, I regard it primarily as an information display device; it's great for surfing the net, reading books, or watching video. I wouldn't use it for writing a novel or for C++ software development. For that, the laptop is still a superior tool.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I would like to see an Ipad-like device that can do everything my laptop can. That includes playing heavy DirectX games, running virtual machines (multiple), and simple basic programming tools, such as Visual Studio (considering I develop in .NET).

The Ipad already fails on the very first test: I can't connect my external HD, my keyboard, my mouse and my PDA to it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I would like to see an Ipad-like device that can do everything my laptop can. That includes playing heavy DirectX games, running virtual machines (multiple), and simple basic programming tools, such as Visual Studio (considering I develop in .NET).

The Ipad already fails on the very first test: I can't connect my external HD, my keyboard, my mouse and my PDA to it...
The iPad works just fine with Bluetooth keyboards, but I take your point - my needs for a laptop are much the same as yours. There's no reason that someone couldn't make a tablet today which could do what we both require, but if it were the weight of the iPad, it would probably have a battery life of about 10 minutes .
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
For me, a tablet is an addition, rather than a substitute for a laptop. I have owned a string of ThinkPads and still use a couple of 'em. My iPad replaced my netbooks, though.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Murdoch, Murdoch, where have I heard that name before....

Oh yeah, he's the guy who bought Myspace for a "bargain" price of $580 million. I'd be a bit hesitant to treat him as a reliable techno-pundit, assuming any such beast exists.

However....

He may be right in the context of his business. People are more willing to pay for content on a mobile phone or iPad than on a laptop or desktop (despite the fact that it's basically the same thing). So, it makes sense that he's going to want to put more effort into developing his properties for a tablet than for the Web.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad works just fine with Bluetooth keyboards, but I take your point - my needs for a laptop are much the same as yours. There's no reason that someone couldn't make a tablet today which could do what we both require, but if it were the weight of the iPad, it would probably have a battery life of about 10 minutes .
But that would require me to buy both a new mouse, a new keyboard and maybe even a new HDD (are there even external HDD's that work via bluetooth?), but it will still fail on my PDA, as it is older than yours was...

And to keep it in mobileread land: is there even a Calibre app for the Ipad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
He may be right in the context of his business. People are more willing to pay for content on a mobile phone or iPad than on a laptop or desktop (despite the fact that it's basically the same thing). So, it makes sense that he's going to want to put more effort into developing his properties for a tablet than for the Web.
He would have a very narrow mind indeed, if he only considers his area...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can't find any sort of reference to Murdoch calling the laptop "dead".

What I did find were a bunch of news stories about how he wants to push this app out to a bunch of other tablets, but they're starting with the iPad.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Keryl Raist
Zealot
Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keryl Raist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I've got a netbook and I love it.

It does everything. I've got my kindle and sony ereader on it. All my music is here. I can make calls via skype. I can write my novels on it. TV shows and movies, no problem, I watch them with it too. I still have my cell phone because it's more convenient for on the fly phone calls, but besides that there's not another piece of tech I need for anything I want to do.

What I don't get is why anyone wants an iPad. The guy working next to me at the gym (There's a bunch of us who hang out in the cafe and do non-exercise work for an hour or so a day) loves his iPad, but he's got to lug around the little stand to keep the screen up and the external keyboard. Both of which cost extra. I'm not seeing the attraction.
Keryl Raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Murdoch is a bastion of old media, and trying desperately to cling to his dying relevance to the future. This try will probably be as big a screw-up as his past attempts.

http://thegauntlet.ca/story/14047

http://boingboing.net/2009/11/08/rup...doch-vows.html

http://boingboing.net/2010/11/08/shi...s-paywall.html

http://gigaom.com/2010/11/22/rupert-...-the-internet/

The laptop* isn't dead-- "Brand Murdoch" is.

*Well, actually the laptop is mostly dead. Most portable computers today are technically notebooks-- probably only the very most large, powerful ones fit the definition of a laptop.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
*Well, actually the laptop is mostly dead. Most portable computers today are technically notebooks-- probably only the very most large, powerful ones fit the definition of a laptop.
And "laptops" are increasingly replacing "desktops"!

So I would think a more relevant question would be “Is the desktop dead?”
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
I actually wont get a tablet simply because of my laptop, it would be useless. I think of my laptop as a nice large tablet with a cover
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

I've never heard this before. Whats the difference? Is it just semantics?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keryl Raist View Post
What I don't get is why anyone wants an iPad. The guy working next to me at the gym (There's a bunch of us who hang out in the cafe and do non-exercise work for an hour or so a day) loves his iPad, but he's got to lug around the little stand to keep the screen up and the external keyboard. Both of which cost extra. I'm not seeing the attraction.
The benefit is that most of the uses that the iPad is best at don't involve a keyboard. When I watch a movie on my iPad I don't want a keyboard. When I read a book, I don't want a keyboard. Even when I surf the web, most of the time I'm not using the keyboard, I'm just tapping links on the screen, and the soft keyboard works just fine for typing in the occasional URL.

It's easier to add a keyboard for occasional use than to be stuck with one that you're not using most of the time.