Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Fire HD 10
Further Question RE: Using CC with Fire HD 10

Thanks again, Chaley. Much appreciated. The first thing I noticed this evening is that by default CC puts my transferred books into the Fire 'Books' directory in the main memory . . . or so says my 'ES File Explorer' (or whatever the Android equivalent of 'File Explorer' is called) but that's NOT where all my other Kindle books have gone by default. And the books there in 'Books' do NOT show up on the new equivalent of the old 'carousel.' (This seems to be at odds with what you reported about your own Fire.)

Anyhow, searching the main directory, I found, quite unexpected, that all of my Fire books of all formats were clustered in the 'Documents' directory together with all the genuine documents. I then naively reasoned that 'Documents' is where books need to go, if they're to show up 'normally' on the Fire. (Mind you, I didn't put the books into 'Documents' manually . . . that's where all my Kindle books went automatically.

So I carefully changed all my 'transfer settings' in CC to that 'Documents' directory. However, when I then re-connected CC to my computer, a flurry of book transfers started taking place (I have 16,000 ebooks in my Calibre Library) so I stopped it immediately. As you wrote at first, you'd think that CC would drop the books by default into the correct directory, so that they'd show up on the device.

Before I do serious damage to my Fire I thought I'd ask you for more feedback to what I've just written. I hate to trouble you, but this would really, really help me solve my problem without 'resetting' my Kindle Fire. And it would be a joy indeed to be able to use CC to transfer books exactly like I transferred them for nearly two years with the USB cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I have a Fire 7" (new gen) that I use to test CC. If I use CC to transfer an amazon-format book (mobi, azw3) to my Fire into the default folder (Books in main memory) then I see the books on the Fire's books page (the replacement for the carousel).

You can use CC's library manager if you want, but doing so isn't required. Some users use CC in the way you are describing -- only as a transport (a cable replacement). If you do use CC as a manager then it will launch the built-in reader app on amazon-format books.

If you transfer epub books then you must side-load an epub reader (e.g. FBReader) onto the Fire.

Note that the new Fire OS (Android 5) has problems if you put your books on an SD card. You won't see the books on the books page. This is not a CC issue, but is instead a limitation of the current Fire 5 OS.
pjmpjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Discussion moved to the CC forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmpjm View Post
Thanks again, Chaley. Much appreciated. The first thing I noticed this evening is that by default CC puts my transferred books into the Fire 'Books' directory in the main memory . . . or so says my 'ES File Explorer' (or whatever the Android equivalent of 'File Explorer' is called) but that's NOT where all my other Kindle books have gone by default. And the books there in 'Books' do NOT show up on the new equivalent of the old 'carousel.' (This seems to be at odds with what you reported about your own Fire.)
That is strange. "Books" is what works on both my Fire 7" and my older Kindle Fire 8". It is also where other CC users with Fire tablets say the books should go. Note: the books must not be in a subfolder of Books. They must be in Books itself.
Quote:
Anyhow, searching the main directory, I found, quite unexpected, that all of my Fire books of all formats were clustered in the 'Documents' directory together with all the genuine documents. I then naively reasoned that 'Documents' is where books need to go, if they're to show up 'normally' on the Fire. (Mind you, I didn't put the books into 'Documents' manually . . . that's where all my Kindle books went automatically.
No idea why. That folder is empty on my Fire. And I doubt they will show up normally. That sounds like a place for "personal documents", not for books.
Quote:
So I carefully changed all my 'transfer settings' in CC to that 'Documents' directory. However, when I then re-connected CC to my computer, a flurry of book transfers started taking place (I have 16,000 ebooks in my Calibre Library) so I stopped it immediately. As you wrote at first, you'd think that CC would drop the books by default into the correct directory, so that they'd show up on the device.
CC is trying to match the books in that folder with the books in calibre so that the calibre on-device indicator works. To do this it must send the metadata for the books in the chosen folder back to calibre for analysis. Because the books are amazon-format (not EPUB), CC sends the actual book back to calibre. If you don't want CC to do this, go to Settings / Connecting to Calibre / Wireless Device Connection and uncheck the "Scan on connect" option. Unchecking this box means that calibre's on-device will work only for books transferred with CC.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
pjmpjm
Zealot
pjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchforkpjmpjm can load mercury with a pitchfork

Using CC to Transfer Books to Fire HD 10

First, my apologies to the moderator for going on and on the in wrong forum. I was so excited to get answers to my vexed problems that I didn't stop to think!

chaley . . . curiouser and curiouser . . . I changed my CC transfer settings back to 'Books' and restarted everything. Now the newly transferred books do in fact show up on my 'Recent' and/or 'Books' as per normal! Like the old Kindle Fire carousel. But when I check down into the directories with ES, I see that these newly transferred books are now the ONLY (sorry to shout) books placed there. ALL my other earlier books are still residing in 'Documents' and yet still showing up on the Kindle screen under 'Books' . . . which, as you say, is quite contrary to what we'd expect from earlier versions of Fire. Anyhow, it's getting very late indeed here in Oz and although my head is spinning, I think you've given me great hope indeed that my troubles are near an end. I'm very, very grateful for your help! Those default settings for CC mystified me and made me wonder what was so great about CC. But now, if CC will faithfully transfer my books to my Fire without the USB cable, I can forget (at least for now) why the previously excellent cable transfer route suddenly stopped working. I hope that the next you hear from me (after I get some sleep) will be with further good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That is strange. "Books" is what works on both my Fire 7" and my older Kindle Fire 8". It is also where other CC users with Fire tablets say the books should go. Note: the books must not be in a subfolder of Books. They must be in Books itself.
No idea why. That folder is empty on my Fire. And I doubt they will show up normally. That sounds like a place for "personal documents", not for books.
CC is trying to match the books in that folder with the books in calibre so that the calibre on-device indicator works. To do this it must send the metadata for the books in the chosen folder back to calibre for analysis. Because the books are amazon-format (not EPUB), CC sends the actual book back to calibre. If you don't want CC to do this, go to Settings / Connecting to Calibre / Wireless Device Connection and uncheck the "Scan on connect" option. Unchecking this box means that calibre's on-device will work only for books transferred with CC.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
First, my apologies to the moderator for going on and on the in wrong forum. I was so excited to get answers to my vexed problems that I didn't stop to think!
Not a problem. I am the moderator who moved the discussion.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions about CC on the Fire. There are several Fire-owners who are active on this forum. I use the Fire only for testing, so these other people are better qualified than I am to help.

And sleep well.
Advert
Old 02-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
pjmpjm
Zealot

chaley, am up again and feeling much better after a good sleep and . . . especially . . . your very helpful pointers about CC. It's now working as it should, I think, except that twice it's put up an error message requesting that I re-download it. Have done so, and it's installed OK each time, but am perplexed that it was necessary.

Another oddity that I'm working on is that Calibre doesn't automatically convert epub or pdf book files to mobi when transferring via CC. This confused me briefly as books 'disappeared' when moving to the Fire, but I quickly discovered the cause.

Am now going back to work on it but, yet another mystery (of the many I've faced this past week), the USB cable is now working again, after nearly a day of refusal. Am now checking in to the Kindle forum again and will hope that a Fire expert or two there can advise me about Fire backups and help solve the further mystery of how all my Fire books ended up in 'Documents' instead of 'Books.'

Once again . . . a big thank you for your help and patience . . .
Old 02-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
chaley, am up again and feeling much better after a good sleep and . . . especially . . . your very helpful pointers about CC. It's now working as it should, I think, except that twice it's put up an error message requesting that I re-download it. Have done so, and it's installed OK each time, but am perplexed that it was necessary.
I am beginning to think that your tablet might be defective. I have never heard of anyone being told by a device that an app needed to be downloaded and installed again.
Quote:
Another oddity that I'm working on is that Calibre doesn't automatically convert epub or pdf book files to mobi when transferring via CC. This confused me briefly as books 'disappeared' when moving to the Fire, but I quickly discovered the cause.
In CC's settings / formats and folders, uncheck the book types (extensions) that you don't want sent to your tablet.