Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Liam Nolan
Liam Nolan is on a distinguished road

Device: Paperwhite 11th
Simple converting question

Hi I'm just waiting for my ereader to be delivered (sony 505) and while im waiting I would like a ask a couple of questions
First all my books are on my pc in TXT format if I put them on an SD card and read them from that can I change the font as I am not too fond of that font.
If I can't do that is ther a batch converter which will convert my TXT files to RTF or something and replace the font with one of my choosing?
Thanks in advance
Liam Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, Liam Nolan, the Sony Readers (500 & 505 both) have 3 built in fonts: a serif (think Times New Roman), a sans serif (think Arial), and a monospace (think Courier). The way it handles fonts is to parse whatever font into the matching built in one. The only way to control what font you use beyond that is to embed the fonts in either a Reader sized (i.e. 6" diagonal that matches the Reader's display) PDF or an LRF (BBEB) file.

However, you should find that the Reader reads your RTF files just fine without conversion, but I don't know what font it'll choose for them.

I don't know about batch TXT to RTF conversion, I'm afraid (though a google search will likely turn up a passel of them for you ), but you can convert them individually via word, wordpad, etc.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's really no need to "batch convert" eBook files, is there? Just convert them as you want to read them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's really no need to "batch convert" eBook files, is there? Just convert them as you want to read them.
It depends...

As the computer geek in the house, I'm in charge of making sure that both my reader and my wife's reader have the latest copies of our electronic library on board. Back when libprs500 was having its conversions steadily debugged, every other version (or so) produced better-looking and less buggy lrf output than the previous ones. So every other version or so, I'd convert 500-600 ebooks, and re-load the readers. Scripts are a wonderful thing!

Now that the conversions are pretty solid, I'm mostly just converting a few files at a time (as downloaded or purchased), and adding them to libprs500 for our eventual use. This means that I do far fewer bulk conversions than I did a few months ago.

Meanwhile, converting as I want to read would work fine. But my reading order and my wife's reading order often diverge widely.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Liam Nolan
Liam Nolan is on a distinguished road

Device: Paperwhite 11th
Thanks for all the answers, I just copied them across as TXT files and they were fine however they have no author is there any way to add them in?
Liam Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert