Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So you went out and bought a nook based on false information and now you have a really awful Reader because the firmware is lousy.
Your bias against Nooks make anything you say about them completely unreliable and sometimes embarrassingly off base.

Honestly, without the ability to patch Kobo, I'd likely stick to the Nooks. Series and collections are nice, but for me the out of the box reading experience is lacking.
  • Too much wasted space with the header/footer
  • Lousy default hyphenation
  • No ligatures and lackluster default layout

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-10-2020 at 11:38 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #47
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The only time I'd agree with distinct threads / fora is for people who report bugs with the Kobo f/w without mentioning they've patched it.

That’s a good point.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #48
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Don’t know if this has ever been discussed.

I’m a newbie with stock Clara HD for a few months and have no plans to modify. I don’t expect to be a big player/talker here in mobileread but who knows. I read almost daily.

I frequently get into a Kobo Reader forum thread and then realize it only applies to modified Kobo readers although I can sometimes know by thread title.

Really confusing early on here on mobileread until I realized so much talk in the Kobo Reader thread is not about my stock unmodified Kobo Reader. Still hard to tell about some threads until getting into it.

Anyway, would be nice for some, possibly a lot, of people, to have a dedicated Kobo Reader (unmodified) forum.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I'll see a thread with a topic that looks like it might be interesting, or maybe a newbie asking for help, but then I click on it and it turns out to actually be about patches or about Calibre and I don't use either of those.

Maybe there could be some kind of tag to indicate whether the thread is about a stock device or not.

Or maybe since so many here do modify their devices, the main Kobo forum could be for that with a subforum for stock devices.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #49
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A current example is a thread titled "Noob questions for Libra H2O". I thought this would be someone asking basic questions about using a Kobo so I opened the thread in case I could help. It turned out to be a question about installing unofficial apps on a Kobo.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
A current example is a thread titled "Noob questions for Libra H2O". I thought this would be someone asking basic questions about using a Kobo so I opened the thread in case I could help. It turned out to be a question about installing unofficial apps on a Kobo.
That is a thread that was started by a brand new user. So obviously they are able to navigate the treacherous waters of this forum and figure things out.
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Um... the 7.8'' Nook is certainly not "a really awful reader". Yes, it's slower than a Kindle or a Kobo and has relatively few customization options, but the reading experience is quite nice and I've encountered no bugs. Not everyone wants to heavily customize their devices.
But one thing that's really not good with the nook firmware is eBook organization. It's not good at all. Yes it has collections, but thay have to be sorted manually.

One thing I cannot say about the current nook firmware is how good (or not) is font rendering? In the nook STR, it's terrible. This wa sin comparison to the Sony PRS-650 which is much better. How does it compare to Kobo and Kindle?

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-10-2020 at 02:03 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #52
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That is a thread that was started by a brand new user. So obviously they are able to navigate the treacherous waters of this forum and figure things out.
The OP's issue was that it's not obvious to people reading the forum whether a thread is about a stock device or a modified one so he/she wastes time opening up a bunch of threads that turn out not to be applicable to him/her. I assume the OP would prefer that the newbie thread about installing apps go in the Kobo developer forum.

Back when the Sony forum was more active the same thing happened there - there was a separate development subforum but people would post about their modified devices in the regular Sony forum. If things are going to be all jumbled up then why even have a developer forum?

Yes, I know it's not really that big of a deal, I certainly have bigger issues in my life right now....

Last edited by 4691mls; 08-10-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #53
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Maybe I'm being naive, but would this forum even need to exist without the discussion of modifications?

I personally wouldn't come here if every discussion was about rare official updates with new features or troubleshooting.

It's the constant stream of new modifications that keeps knowledgeable users coming back. r/Kobo suffers from that exact issue.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #54
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
Maybe I'm being naive, but would this forum even need to exist without the discussion of modifications?

I personally wouldn't come here if every discussion was about rare official updates with new features or troubleshooting.

It's the constant stream of new modifications that keeps knowledgeable users coming back. r/Kobo suffers from that exact issue.
Maybe instead of a developer subforum, the main Kobo forum should be devoted to modifications and there could be a subforum for stock devices, since stock seems to be a smaller percentage of the discussions.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:27 PM   #55
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post

personally i would. i'd be less inclined if it was only about modifications. i bought an ereader to read books, i didn't buy an ereader to constantly modify it. each to their own.

best wishes koboy

Last edited by koboy; 08-10-2020 at 03:34 PM.
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #56
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
But one thing that's really not good with the nook firmware is eBook organization. It's not good at all. Yes it has collections, but thay have to be sorted manually.

One thing I cannot say about the current nook firmware is how good (or not) is font rendering? In the nook STR, it's terrible. This wa sin comparison to the Sony PRS-650 which is much better. How does it compare to Kobo and Kindle?
So, let me get this straight. You are criticizing my choice of ereader based on the nook STR which was released in 2009. You don't really know anything about the current nook.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I use the same method as with Kindles. Catalog + search. No problemo.
Quote:
Depends on the font, and depends on what you mean by terrible. I wouldn't say it's worse than Kindle or Kobo, but then I'm no expert on fonts.

Edit: Here's a photo of my Nook side-by-side with my Oasis 2. I didn't yet have a Kobo when I took that picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190718_004939.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	181224  

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-10-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The OP's issue was that it's not obvious to people reading the forum whether a thread is about a stock device or a modified one so he/she wastes time opening up a bunch of threads that turn out not to be applicable to him/her. I assume the OP would prefer that the newbie thread about installing apps go in the Kobo developer forum.
And my point was that the thread you are using as evidence was started by an absolute new user who seemed to have no problem using their device and was looking for help on making changes. Should someone start policing users on their thread titles? Should the new user be chided because their thread title might be misleading to other readers who aren't interested in modifying their Kobo?

It's ludicrous.

Quote:
Back when the Sony forum was more active the same thing happened there - there was a separate development subforum but people would post about their modified devices in the regular Sony forum. If things are going to be all jumbled up then why even have a developer forum?
The development subforum seems to be geared towards those who actually write the patches. The rest of the forum is for joe schmoe users who may or may not modify their reader. Works for me anyway.

Read through a thread If it doesn't apply to you, stop reading it. Doesn't seem too difficult.

If enough people are concerned about only reading about unmodified devices, maybe they could start threads where the subject starts with Stock Kobo and see if it catches on.

It would be interesting to see how many of those threads become 'You can fix that issue with such and such a patch.'
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
So, let me get this straight. You are criticizing my choice of ereader based on the nook STR which was released in 2009. You don't really know anything about the current nook.
Pretty much.

He accused my 2015 Glowlight Plus of being rubbery, though it has a metal back. Must be that rubbery metal, I guess.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #60
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
personally i would. i'd be less inclined if it was only about modifications. i bought an ereader to read books, i didn't buy an ereader to constantly modify it. each to their own.
If you bought your reader only to read books, why go to a message board about ereaders at all?

I have a couple of Windows 10 devices. I run Windows 10 as is and don't mess with it. I also don't go to message boards where people talk about modifying Windows 10. It's just something I have no interest in.