Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #31
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I run virtually everything e.g. PC, software, and, yes KA1 lean and clean -- read: no modifications. Makes everything so much simpler and more reliable with no reduction in functionality...for me, at least.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I run virtually everything e.g. PC, software, and, yes KA1 lean and clean -- read: no modifications. Makes everything so much simpler and more reliable with no reduction in functionality...for me, at least.
For me that would be an absolute nightmare. Default settings generally never satisfy me.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...there is a patch for that.
Shh! Do you want to get sued?
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #34
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Sure, for you maybe.

I agree that custom software can make your devices a bit less stable.
I agree that with some devices, it's not worth the trade off. The Kobo might fall into that for you.

But to categorically reject modding? I think you're limiting yourself for no reason.

There are some devices, like my 3DS for example, where modding has made them useful for years after I would have normally abandoned them.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
For me, the patches and NickleMenu add functionality for how i use my H2O. True, the patches can take away some functionality, but that is my choice to enable those patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
Sure, for you maybe.

I agree that custom software can make your devices a bit less stable.
I agree that with some devices, it's not worth the trade off. The Kobo might fall into that for you.

But to categorically reject modding? I think you're limiting yourself for no reason.

There are some devices, like my 3DS for example, where modding has made them useful for years after I would have normally abandoned them.
Less stable? I have the patches, NickelMenu, and a better hyphenation dictionary installed and my H2O is not at all less stable.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #37
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Less stable? I have the patches, NickelMenu, and a better hyphenation dictionary installed and my H2O is not at all less stable.
I was talking about modding more generally, like phones and game consoles. Kobopatch in my experience is just as stable as stock.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
I was talking about modding more generally, like phones and game consoles. Kobopatch in my experience is just as stable as stock.
NickelMenu does mod and it's stable. The patches mod and they are stable. The better hyphenation dictionary replaces the default English hyphenation dictionary and it's stable.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #39
DevonHess
Can't actually read

Quote:
NickelMenu does mod and it's stable. The patches mod and they are stable. The better hyphenation dictionary replaces the default English hyphenation dictionary and it's stable.
I don't think we disagree. Kobo mods are generally very stable nowadays. I was making a point about custom software and modding in general.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #40
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I know how the OP feels. When I was looking for a new reader I considered a Kobo. When I saw how many people were modifying their Kobo, I thought the stock version must be terrible and all that modifying sounded like too much work. So I just went to B&N and bought a Nook GL+7.8 and I have been very happy.

Edit to add: I do buy most of my books from Kobo though.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I know how the OP feels. When I was looking for a new reader I considered a Kobo. When I saw how many people were modifying their Kobo, I thought the stock version must be terrible and all that modifying sounded like too much work. So I just went to B&N and bought a Nook GL+7.8 and I have been very happy.

Edit to add: I do buy most of my books from Kobo though.
So you went out and bought a nook based on false information and now you have a really awful Reader because the firmware is lousy.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The only time I'd agree with distinct threads / fora is for people who report bugs with the Kobo f/w without mentioning they've patched it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #43
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Regarding stability, the patches have never had any serious issues, but there are bugs once in a while just after a release (e.g. it might not do anything or it might crash when you press a specific button). I've done quite a bit of work over the last two years to improve the stability, ease-of-use, multi-version compatibility, and amount of patches available (see here and here). Over the last few months, there have not been any issues other than one or two ineffectual CSS patches and a numbering issue with the smartlink patches (see here). In addition, there's now usually quite a bit of testing before each release (see here) and most development is done in the open along with detailed comments about how the patches work, like this (I originally started doing this while figuring out how the existing patches worked).

The newest mods made with my NickelHook library are about as safe as it can get, and there haven't been any significant issues in released versions: NickelMenu (bugs), NickelSeries, kobo-dotfile-hack-ng (@sherman is currently working on another one, NickelDBus). These ones don't even touch the system files directly, and can recover automatically if anything critical goes wrong. And, even so, I've put together some notes on my research about how to prevent things from going wrong to begin with here. In addition, while working on these, there was a lot of testing done before the initial release.

And, there's also other tools like kepubify, Calibre, dictutil, PyGlossary, covergen, and so on which don't have any chance of breaking things since they are mostly just file conversion tools.

As I mentioned earlier, I recently put together this list of how risky and intrusive the mods I'm aware of are: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...09&postcount=5.

P.S. I used to be somewhat paranoid about stability as well, but as I learned more, I became comfortable enough to test them on my main device (I only had a single one for a while).

Last edited by geek1011; 08-09-2020 at 05:33 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
So you went out and bought a nook based on false information and now you have a really awful Reader because the firmware is lousy.
Um... the 7.8'' Nook is certainly not "a really awful reader". Yes, it's slower than a Kindle or a Kobo and has relatively few customization options, but the reading experience is quite nice and I've encountered no bugs. Not everyone wants to heavily customize their devices.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #45
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
No, I went out and bought a reader that meets my needs and works just fine.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote