Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Conrad
Conrad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
In-Device PDF Renderer Modification

I'm still very new to the PRS-505, and I've been trying to familiarize myself with how each component operates. I'm curious to know if anyone's looked at trying to modify the in-device pdf renderer. Obviously, the myriad of pdf file modification tools are an excellent way of making more pdf files compatible with the PRS-505, but improving the rendering in-device would make the process of reading pdfs much simpler.

THe way that the device handles pdfs now is impressive; particularly in landscape mode. However, if the renderer could handle an additional level of zoom, and split each page into 4 instead of into 2, it might be good enough for most users.

Before I add a new hobby project to my life and see if I can implement this, is there any advice the developers in this forum have for me? Is this, in all likelihood, impossible? Has this been attempted already?

Thanks for any input or advice. I'll do my best to be a contributing member of this community.

best,
Conrad
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #2
yargoflick
Enthusiast
yargoflick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
I just read that the software update for the bookeen reader introduces some nice zoom and pan options.

That's really what we need for the sony reader, some nice and clean zoom and pan options.

My suggestion for the UI folks:

Instead of having the size button toggle between three zoom levels why not have it put you a 'select zoom level' mode, then hitting number buttons selects a percentage zoom, with 1 or 2 being the normal scale to reader size.

Maybe use the little left directional pad to be able to pan images or pdfs zoomed to larger than the screen. (I know that breaks link navigation, but perhaps panning can be a toggled mode as well. Hit the enter button on a scaled image or pdf (with no link selected) to enter pan mode.

Anywhoo, that's me spitting in the wind.

Cheers,
Lee
yargoflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Conrad
Conrad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for your feedback Lee, but I think we're a very very long way away from even thinking about user interface issues with regard to PDF display and interaction. For now, the goal has to be to find out if there's even access to the renderer, and if not, if another renderer can be added.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
zaino
zaino began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I was thinking about the very same thing. Any news? I would help developing too.
zaino is offline   Reply With Quote