Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Question securing an android based phone

I recently purchased an android based phone, specifically an LG Intuition vs950, and am preparing to migrate to it from both my Palm m500 and my Motorola W755 phone. A quick internet search shows that there are known security issues with android phone in general and with Jelly Bean based phones in particular.

Given I am just getting started with this it would seem best to start out securing the phone properly to begin with. I have participated in the kindle developer's forum on this site for a while, so this seemed to be a good place to get feedback on how those of you with android based phones are securing them to keep yourselves safe.

My initial use of the phone will be for voice calls, an occasional text and an app to replace the Handy Shopper app on my m500 unit. I will likely also install the Kindle app for a backup to my K3W and a SIP app for placing VoIP calls. I might eventually install Skype as well.

I will be using Wi-Fi for data access with the vs950, at least until I can get my cell phone provider to offer a better data rate than $0.10/MB, so there will be somewhat limited use of data features. As I have my own hotspot at home I will have full function there, but at least for a while I will need to use public hotspots when away from home. If my carrier refuses to budge on their rates I might purchase a Karma Go once they get their stuff together.

So I am interested in hearing from you android developers, especially those with android phones of your own, how to keep whatever data I place on the phone secure and deal with the possibility of it being lost or stolen in a worst case. I did have the last phone prior to my W755 stolen, so I know that is a hassle to deal with.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this topic.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Was my original post too broad? How about a single question instead:

What is the best firewall to use on an Android phone? If it varies by version, my phone is Jelly Bean (4.1.2) and at present the phone is rooted.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As an Android user, a firewall is not even on my radar, nor do I hear much call for such things from the tech community. Not yet, at least.

My security measures, such as they are, are thus:

1. I use apps from trusted or at least reputable sources.
2. I don't leave network connection services open longer than necessary.
3. I use STRIP to securely store passwords and other sensitive data.
4. I use Android Lost to help manage the consequences of loss or theft. It can locate, and if needed, remotely wipe the phone.

I give my phone the same sort of physical security I give my wallet.

Since I don't see my phone as a particularly vulnerable attack surface, I don't even use a lock screen, much less more extreme technological security measures.
I'm more interested in making it convenient for myself than inconvenient for thieves.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 04-23-2015 at 11:10 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote