Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Help Me Return This Kindle Paperwhite to its Rightful Owner

I purchased a second hand Kindle Paperwhite today and lo and behold, it is blacklisted. I immediately called Amazon and even offered to pay for the shipping to Amazon and from Amazon to the rightful owner who reported it lost or stolen, but they wouldn't do it. I even went up the chain of command speaking to supervisors to try and get this thing back to the owner, with no luck whatsoever. I would rather lose the money I spent and get this thing back to its owner than keep it and side load stuff into it using Calibre. I have had every rendition of Kindle except for Kindle Touch and I currently have a Kindle Fire HD but was considering going back to an e-ink screen for book reading.

Basically what Amazon told me was I could recycle it (and they gave me the name of an electronics recycling company), keep it (though I can't register it), or turn it in to the local police. I know some local officers and they said they really can't do anything to help it get back to its owner, so I might as well keep it. As a fellow Kindle owner who has loved my Kindles, and who has had one stolen, I know what that is like, and I really want this to get back to its owner. For the record, "Md Syed" from Amazon.com told me just to keep it, LOL.

So, I know this is a SUPER long shot, but if you or someone you know has lost or had a Kindle Paperwhite stolen and the serial number you give me matches the serial number on this one, not only will I make sure it makes its way back to you completely reset with a full charge, but I will give you a screenshot of the Craigslist Ad and all information I have about the trail this unit has been on so you can press charges if you so choose.

Help me do the right thing.

Last edited by HaggisMacJedi; 11-04-2012 at 09:49 PM.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
It's a long shot to be sure, but perhaps posting a partial device ID would help; users who have lost a kindle can still see their device idea under "manage my Kindle" on the amazon website (I think) so that would be the way to match it up.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
For what it's worth, I can understand Amazon's reaction--they're not the police and they can't give out personal user info. Their CS department probably also has no policies or resources in placed to deal with a scenario like this.

It's very nice of you to try to help, though. If you think it was stolen locally (you don't mention where you bought it) maybe you could put up a Craigslist ad.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know they can't give ME the owner's information, and I don't really want it, because I'm not looking for a reward, however, I was hoping that Amazon would ship it back to them, ESPECIALLY considering I am willing to pay the shipping and handling costs. All Amazon would have to do is slap a label on the box and hand it to the UPS guy.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
My niece had hers stolen

My niece had hers stolen when the thieves used one of those key signal jamming devices when she locked her car. She didn't notice this and when she got back to her car that evening her Kindle3 and her Tom-Tom were missing. She had hid them under the front seat. She lives in Essex, UK.

She has now got a new Kindle3
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

I guess my frustration is that I'm trying to do the right thing, and Amazon's response was for me to either give the device back to the seller or just keep it myself, and that there was no way Amazon could get it back to the owner. They reiterated this several times, and I had 4 different reps/supervisors tell me this. So I straight up asked them what I should do and they said I am welcome to keep it (although it will remain unregistered), or recycle it.

I considered keeping it because I could just side load things onto it using Calibre, but a lot of the books I'm reading right now I paid for LEGALLY through Amazon to read on my Kindle Fire HD/iPhone4/Kindle 2/MacBook Kindle App have DRM, and won't show up on the unregistered Kindle Paperwhite without jumping through a LOT of hoops. So even though I paid for those books legally through Amazon, and even though Amazon TOLD me to keep the Paperwhite, I can't really use it.

That's what I get for trying to do the right thing.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
So, how much did you pay for this PW? I saw one for sale in the Houston CL today.
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Return it to the seller for a refund. If you used paypal, you can block his payment if he refuses the refund.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Return it to the seller for a refund. If you used paypal, you can block his payment if he refuses the refund.
Good idea but he/she will just sell it to someone else.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Defective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Good idea but he/she will just sell it to someone else.
So what, it is a defective unit. It has been blacklisted by Amazon. It pays to return it to the seller for a full refund.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
For those who have not yet done it, it's always a good idea to include your 'non-critical' e-mail address (i.e. a sporadically-checked backup address you normally provide where you expect to be spammed) in the Personal Details section of the Kindle. I have a colleague whose Kindle, left behind in a taxi, was returned in just this way!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
ddave7
ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kobo Touch
Out of curiosity, how can you tell if a Kindle has been blacklisted? Did you get some kind of message when you tried to register? Might be useful to know for people buying used Kindles....
ddave7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard

Blacklisted Kindles can NOT be registered using the unit. That is enough reason to return it for a refund.

It may not have been stolen from an Amazon customer. It may have been stolen or lost anywhere from the factory to the delivery phase.

Trying to return it to an "owner" is an exercise in futility. It may never have had a retail owner.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-06-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot

End of the story:

I spoke with Amazon SEVERAL times trying to get it back to the original owner, and YES, it was an exercise in futility. The last 3 reps I spoke to said I could either keep it and use it via side-loading, but that it would NOT ever register (the last rep actually recommended I just keep it), recycle it, turn it in to the cops, or return it to the seller. I asked them if there was ANY way to get it back to the original owner, and they all said NO.

So I managed to get in touch with the seller from Craigslist, and he knew nothing about how Kindles/Amazon/etc work, so I scared him into giving me my money back by using the following terms: Blacklisted Kindle listed as lost/stolen, I've contacted my attorney for advice on the situation, I have friends in law enforcement, I've contacted Amazon about this Kindle with serial #_ _ _ _, have a copy of your Craigslist ad with your phone number, etc. So he gave me my money back, and I gave him the Kindle back.

Oh, and to whoever wanted to know how much I paid for it... $40, LOL! The ad said he wanted $100 OBO, but it was listed as a Kindle Fire that originally retailed for $159 (and the picture was of a Kindle Paperwhite), so I managed to talk him down to $50 when I called him on the carpet on that one and he realized I knew more about it than him. Then when we met in person the battery was dead as a doornail so I showed him $40 cash and said take it or leave it. I had a USB charger for my car so I saw that it was taking a charge and not dead.

As to how I knew it was blacklisted: when I tried to register it, the response from the unit was "Internal Error" every time I tried to register it. When I called Amazon about that, I was honest and up front about how I obtained the unit, gave them the serial number, and that's when they told me the situation. When it was all said and done, Amazon did give me a $10 credit for trying (which I thought was nice of them at least), which I used to buy the Lord of the Rings trilogy ebook for my Kindle Fire HD, I got my $40 cash back, and the seller got the device back.

When I left him he was scared to death he was going to get in trouble (he was visibly shaken) and he said he was DEFINITELY going to send it back to Amazon. I don't know if he really will or not, but I've been checking to see if it's gone back up on Craigslist and it hasn't. I feel like I did all I could to do the right thing, so I have a free conscience on the outcome.

While it was nice of Amazon to give me the $10 credit, I am VERY disappointed that Amazon didn't just say, "Send it back to us with a shipping label we'll send you, and we'll make sure it gets back to the original owner if a replacement hasn't already been supplied, or at least let them know it's been found." Whatever though. Obviously it isn't cost effective for Amazon to do that or they would have. I just hope the original owner got a replacement unit.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Ha ha. $40? You should have kept it. All that jawboning for $40? LOL
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote