Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #376
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes and no.

Firstly, are you talking about using "FullScreenReading=true" in the config file, or are you using a 4.11.x firmware that has the options to hide the title and footer? The difference is that the latter has a larger margin at the bottom than the older way. That mean there will be a bigger gap than might be desired.

But, just as important is the font size and other layout settings. The renderer will not put a line on the screen if it doesn't fit. This means that if there is not quite the space for a line including the line spacing, then the new page will be started. And with a larger font, plus any built in margin, there can be a lot of seemingly wasted space.
Thank you for your reply, davidfor; I'm talking about the "FullScreenReading=true" mod. I've noticed that the bottom margin is always bigger than the top, left and right margins: I also tried applying the 'custom default kepub margins' patch from GeoffR, which is supposed to set all margins for kepub books to 0, but no change. I'll change the line-height and size of the font I use, and see if I can mitigate the effect.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #377
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Thank you for your reply, davidfor; I'm talking about the "FullScreenReading=true" mod. I've noticed that the bottom margin is always bigger than the top, left and right margins: I also tried applying the 'custom default kepub margins' patch from GeoffR, which is supposed to set all margins for kepub books to 0, but no change. I'll change the line-height and size of the font I use, and see if I can mitigate the effect.
OK, you are not running the 4.11.x firmware. There are threads to discuss the patches. I would suggest finding the one for the firmware version you are running and asking in there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #378
plixplax
plixplax began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara hd
thank you very much!!! just getting used to my kobo clara hd.
plixplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #379
TheNewHugh
TheNewHugh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I don't know if this is the right place to place a question. My question is does there exist a list of valid setting statements for the Kobo eReader.conf file?
TheNewHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 AM   #380
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I'm asking this here because searching for "zoom" brought up this thread and several posts that said kepubs were better for zooming in on pictures. How? I've just finished a book with lots of charts and graphs and I could not find any way top zoom in on them. Nor did I find anything in the onboard user guide to help. How do zoom in on images or other graphic content in a kepub?
Advert
Old 01-19-2019, 12:58 AM   #381
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I'm asking this here because searching for "zoom" brought up this thread and several posts that said kepubs were better for zooming in on pictures. How? I've just finished a book with lots of charts and graphs and I could not find any way top zoom in on them. Nor did I find anything in the onboard user guide to help. How do zoom in on images or other graphic content in a kepub?
Double tapping on the image should open the image in an separate image viewer which supports zoom and panning.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:02 AM   #382
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Double tapping on the image should open the image in an separate image viewer which supports zoom and panning.
Hmm, thanks. It was an epub I'd converted to kepub via Calibre before sideloading, double-tapping on any image takes me back to the previous page.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:27 AM   #383
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Hmm, thanks. It was an epub I'd converted to kepub via Calibre before sideloading, double-tapping on any image takes me back to the previous page.
I don't need to do this very often, so I just tested. Epub with some images, converted to kepub and sent. A double tap opens the images. I had one problem image. It must have been just to big for the rest of the page. It showed a one or two pixel strip of the image on one page with the rest of the page blank. The rest of the image was at the top of the next. Double-tapping the part on the second page acted as a single tap. But, double-tapping below the strip on the first page worked top open in.

I used a conversion to do this, but, when I have used the extended driver in the past, it worked the same. It is possible it is the code for the image. This is a simple img tag inside a p tag. I have used SVG wrapped images in the past, and I'm sure they worked as well.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #384
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

After reading your latest reply, I tried again. I must have been tapping in the page turning area of the screen, because when I tried in a different part of the images, it worked. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2019, 04:35 AM   #385
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
For all the Kobo newbies, here is a mega-thread with all the tips and tricks so far. If anyone learns any new tips and tricks, please post them here.

1) USING THE KOBO WITH THE KOBO SOFTWARE

Create an account at the Kobo website, or log into your existing Kobo account. Click on your library. Unless you have done some fiddling already, all the books you have bought will appear in your 'I'm Reading' list. This is what will sync to the Kobo.

If you have some books you have read already and/or don't want to syn to the Kobo, click the checkmark beside them, then click the delete button at the top of the list. The books will still be in your purchased books area but will no longer be on your I'm Reading list.

Plug in the reader. Open the desktop software folder and install the software for your type of computer (Windows or Mac). Launch the software, log into your Kobo account. Click the sync button. The books will sync onto the Kobo Reader.

Books loaded onto the reader in this way will not appear as files if you double-click on the device icon in the desktop. If you want them to appear on the device and be editable, you will have to load them through other means such as Adobe Digital Editions or via drag and drop.

2) USING THE DEVICE WITH ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS

Log onto your Kobo account on the website. Go to your library. Click on the 'download epub' icon and when prompted, save the file to your desktop.

Go to your desktop and right-click on the .acsm file. Choose 'open with Adobe Digital Editions' and open the file. While you are in ADE, authorize the Kobo reader to your account.

You should then be able to drag and drop books from your list in ADE onto the reader icon.

Note: If you are downloading library books, it is the same procedure. Sve the .acsm file and open it using ADE.

3) USING THE DEVICE WITH CALIBRE

Make sure the Kobo Reader is plugged in. Have Calibre open and make sure you can see the 'Kobo Reader' icon on your desktop.

Select a book from your list. If it is not in epub, convert it using the 'convert' button.

Right-click on the file name. Choose 'open containing folder.' Drag the epub file onto the Kobo Reader icon on the desktop.

4) FIXING AN EPUB WHICH WILL NOT LET YOU CHANGE THE FONT

MAC users: Download a program called ePub Zip
PC Users: Download a program called Free Zip

Click on the epub file. Click on the file name---it should become highlighted so you can edit it.

Change the part that says .epub to .zip.

Double-click on the new zip file. It will make a folder.

Open the folder. Find the file that says stlyesheet.css and delete it. (IT may be inside another folder like the OEBPS one.

MAC Users: Drop the folder onto ePub Zip and you're done.

PC Users: Use Free ZIp to make a zip file. Highlight the file name and change the .zip to .epub and you're done

Drag the new epub file onto the Kobo Reader icon.

Note: Files edited this way will allow font adjustment, but may lose other formatting such as full justification

5) DELETING THE PRE-INSTALLED BOOKS

Srid outlined the procedure here.
That's all very interesting, but I have a problem with putting several books by the same author on my Kobo Clara.
Yesterday, I added 14 books by Sebastian Fitzek, and they ended up in three different folders: Fitzek, Sebastian Fitzek & Sebastian Fitzek & Michael Tsokos , which is very annoying.
Any suggestions?
Butterfly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #386
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1234 View Post
That's all very interesting, but I have a problem with putting several books by the same author on my Kobo Clara.
Yesterday, I added 14 books by Sebastian Fitzek, and they ended up in three different folders: Fitzek, Sebastian Fitzek & Sebastian Fitzek & Michael Tsokos , which is very annoying.
Any suggestions?
The first suggestion that comes to mind is to use calibre and fix the book metadata before sending them to your Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #387
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Any suggestions?
The first thing to do is to explain the problem properly and ask the right question. The above doesn't agree with the problem you are reporting elsewhere. That seemed to be about sorting whereas this seems to be about the directory structure on the device. Though, I'm not completely sure what you are actually saying is wrong. I mean, is that one long name, or is it three smaller names without separators. You also haven't stated how these directories were created.

The most likely answer to this is that you are using calibre to send the books to the device. And if that is the case, it is working as designed and doing exactly what you have told it to do. The directory structure and file names used by calibre when sending books to the device is specified by you. There are defaults, and I guess you have not changed them. What you need to do is look at the save template in whichever of the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver you are using. There is plenty of discussion in the calibre forum of what can be used for the templates. There is also some here, but, it may not be as detailed.

Beyond that, with the information available, we can't really help. You don't really state what the problem is. I think it comes down to, "I don't like the file and directory names used". If that is the case, then thing we need to know is what you want them to be. And some proper examples of what the file names are. And as @DNSB suggested above, and was suggested before, you almost definitely need to cleanup the metadata in your books.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #388
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Edit the template used to send your eBooks to your Kobo and get rid of the directory part of the template as that's causing you to have your eBooks send to different directories. And when you delete all of those eBooks, you'll end up with a load of empty directories.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:05 AM   #389
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I'm guessing if you're into Kobos enough to hang around this forum you already know this but I didn't:

On the Forma if you press and hold the bottom right corner of a page it starts to rapidly flick forward through the book, way faster than normal page turning, I didn't know eink could even change this fast.

It's really handy for me because I read my book on my phone all day at work and it was a pain trying to find my new place again with the slider when I get home.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #390
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
if I don't want anything Kobo, and want to avoid the Kobo experience altogether, do I need to log into my Kobo account? I would just prefer to stay in airplane mode and fly solo, also side loading patches, books, etc.

thanks all.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote