Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
ACrum555
ACrum555 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Unlimited amount of errors

Delete

Last edited by ACrum555; 12-02-2011 at 10:20 PM.
ACrum555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The first error will be genuine - it is Windows reporting that error to Calibre.

Have you tried using Task Manager to check (in that there is not a Calibre process running in the background. The default behavior in Calibre is to not exit if you hit the 'x' at the top right but simply to minimise itself to the Systray area (although this can be changed under Preferences). You have to use CTRL-Q to quit directly, or select the Calibre icon in the Systray, right-click and select Exit from the menu displayed. I must admit I would prefer to see the default for this preference to be the othe way around so that you had to actively set the minimise to SysTray behavior on clicking the 'x'.

The second case could probably be fixed by deleting the metadata.db file that Calibre does not like and letting it create a new one. The only problerm is locating the file as the message does not give the location. It will be somewhere under your User Profile - I am not running Vista any more so I am not sure what that pathg will be.

There are 10's of thousands of people using Calibre on Vista without the sort of issues you are having, so if you can get past this initial hurdle you should be OK.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
First off, I'm unable to address the technical details of your problem; I haven't gone wandering around inside of calibre's guts (yet) to know exactly what is causing the blowups. Worse yet, I use WinXP and a mutant form of Xandros Linux, so I can't even address the specifics of the Vista-related issues.

There are, however, several things in your post that I can address.

One is basic troubleshooting: There are at a minimum thousands of people who have installed and are running calibre successfully. Assuming you just let the installation wizard do its thing, they followed the same steps that you did. Were the problem on calibre's end, it's likely that a substantial fraction of those people would be having the same problems you are, and saying so, loudly, in this forum. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, the first thing you need to try to determine is what is different between their situation and yours.

If I did a default install of calibre on a fresh, out-of-the-box install of Vista, calibre would be working. It works for plenty of other people, and they're running the exact same code. Software, despite occasional appearances to the contrary, does not in fact develop personal hatred for some of us. The same software, in the same environment, used in the same way, will do the same things.

So, since we know that a default install of calibre on vanilla Vista being used by other people will run, and what you have won't run, there are three places to look for clues to the problem: One, the calibre installation; two, the OS environment; and three, the user. So, start looking at what in any of those three elements might be that crucial factor? Is there anything different in how you installed it? Is there anything different about your computer setup? Are you doing, or not doing, something different from other users? It's one of those. My guess would be some form of ghost process, but it's just a guess.

Also, comments like "This program has 0 stars from me so far, its way to buggy" are not a good tactic to motivate the developers to leap to do exactly what you want in order to earn your approval. Starting off on a hostile note leads to less helpfulness, rather than more, with most people. Besides, if it's way too buggy, how are thousands of us using it?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
comments like "This program has 0 stars from me so far, its way to buggy" are not a good tactic to motivate the developers to leap to do exactly what you want in order to earn your approval. Starting off on a hostile note leads to less helpfulness
I saw the post and decided to read it and help. I run Vista and I knew part of the solution. I got to the hostile part, however, and reacted in kind. Then I took a deep breath, edited my response to a nicer tone, and started to reply. Then as I was in the middle of the answer, I thought, "Why bother?", and deleted the whole thing. Hostility is definitely not the way to get help. Calibre installs and runs without a problem on Vista.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Just to back up the part where your problem is not seen as common.
Recently I had problemms installing the update "broken pipe". on Ubuntu.
The problem report was classed as a possible corrupt download source and a side door to the upgrade file was given.
The next upgrade failed.. Then the Me too's started coming in.. Kovid gave it a hard look and asked we perform some steps (I am not a programmer) and post the results.
My results looked exactly the same as another's... We had the same configuration (pretty much Vanilla)

The bug was traced and Fixed.

ntll more identical errors show, we can only assume it is a problem with you installation/configuration of Vista.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I saw the post and decided to read it and help. I run Vista and I knew part of the solution. I got to the hostile part, however, and reacted in kind. Then I took a deep breath, edited my response to a nicer tone, and started to reply. Then as I was in the middle of the answer, I thought, "Why bother?", and deleted the whole thing. Hostility is definitely not the way to get help. Calibre installs and runs without a problem on Vista.

I don't run Vista but what you describe was almost my exact process last night.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote