Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
Do the Free B&N ebooks have drm?

Hi

I would like to purchase some of the books from the B&N store as they seem to be cheaper than where I usually buy them but I would have to take the drm off to have them work with my sony. I would like to test it before I bought any ebooks and was wondering if the free ebooks contain the B&N drm or would I have to purchase one?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I recall that several people have said yes, the free ebooks do have DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

the strange thing is I just pulled it into calibre and it formatted it into epub and i can open it on my sony I didn't remove the drm
Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #4
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Take a look at the source files and you will see, if they are encrypted or not.

Make a copy of your epub, rename the file extension from epub to zip and extract this archive. Search for the content files, often with the extension .html or .xhtm and often in the subfolder "contents". Open one of these files with an editor. If you can see the HTML/XHTML source, then the file is not encrypted (without DRM). If there are only messy characters, then its encrypted.

Bye,

Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Some do and some do not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
artemisblossom
Groupie

thanks everyone the first book i downloaded had no drm but the 2nd one did . I thought the format was supposed to be epub but it was in pdb so I couldn't take the drm off anyway.