Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
MTR
MTR began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/iPad/NC/RT
Error: Could not find reasonable point at which to split

I'm getting this error with several LIT to ePub conversions. I found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53311 on the issue, but the solution/hint provided is Greek to me (Calibre novice and no experience with html whatsoever).
Can anyone explain how to 'pre-edit' the problematic LIT files so Calibre can split it and make the ePub?
MTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
MTR

Still haven't been able to figure it out. Any help would be welcome.
If more retails/info is required, please let me know.
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In the calibre conversion setting enable debug mode. This will create the HTML files from the LIT file in the folder you supply. Look in the input sub-folder. There should be one long html file in it. edit that a little, splitting up its contents into multiple smaller <pre> sections.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
MTR

Found the html file (1500KB). Just to be sure, splitting contents is a matter of editing the file (in Wordpad?) and inserting "</pre><pre>" at various points? I guess 'd have to split it into 8-10 sections for Calibre to be able to handle the conversion (260KB limit). Will try later today.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah that should be all that's needed, though while you're doing that you may as well change the <pre> to <p> so that it reflows when viewed on the device
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
MTR

Sorry for the long delay in posting the result.
When randomly inserting </p><p> in the htm file, subsequent conversion to ePub works (with reflow), but when inserting </pre><pre> in the same places (using find&replace) it doesn't (still finds only 1 large pre-tag part).
I'll test some other files to be sure it's not a pbk-error .
Old 10-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I cannot think of many reasons for using <PRE> tags instead of <P> ones. The PRE tags stop re-flow which is rarely what you want in an e-book.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
MTR

Next to the fact that I was/am curious to figure out why conversion was succesfull when using <p> and unsuccesful when using <pre> in exactly the same spot, I don't like the fact that <p> killed all the formatting that was present in the LIT, resulting in a fully flat text.

I prefer to keep the chapter/paragraph/line compposition form the original file.
So far I have not been succesfull in converting using <pre> as opposed to <p>. Must be doing something wrong that I haven't figured out yet.