Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Doits:

If memory serves, that file isn't needed any longer, BUT, if the OP is viewing this with a first-gen iPad, he might still have issues without it.

FWIW.

Hitch
That would be helpful, too.

Although I'm now wrestling with a few issues, publishing my first epub to both Kindle and iBooks was surprisingly easy in general. If I remember correctly, I didn't even delete the cover page when publishing to Kindle.

After publishing to iBooks, I got an e-mail telling me I need to add the author to my metadata. (I thought that was covered by "creator.") But I couldn't figure out how to do it, and they never replied when I asked them for further instructions.

So they both appear to be somewhat lax.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
In other words, it would then indeed be OK to use this in my style sheets:

.Class { font-family: sans-serif; }

That would certainly make life easier. My first epub doesn't use any special fonts, though my second one will.

Thanks.
Yes, that would work better then embedding a sans-serif font. But if you plan to put the book up on Amazon, you need to test on a Kindle to see if the sans-serif shows up without having to select Publisher Font.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, that would work better then embedding a sans-serif font. But if you plan to put the book up on Amazon, you need to test on a Kindle to see if the sans-serif shows up without having to select Publisher Font.
Wolfie:

That's solely for the KF8 eInks: PPW, Voyage, Oasis. None of the others have that issue, just FYI.

To the OP: whatever you do, do NOT put a font on the body HTML tag. Amazon won't like it, and they'll punish you. Really.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #19
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
To the OP: whatever you do, do NOT put a font on the body HTML tag. Amazon won't like it, and they'll punish you. Really.
Wow, I didn't know that.

I went back and checked and found this in my style sheet:

body { font-family: Georgia; }

I'm getting ready to submit an update, so I'll change it to...

body { font-family: serif; }

Or should I not even put that?

P.S. How do they "punish" you? They never sent me any warnings or error messages.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
P.S. How do they "punish" you? They never sent me any warnings or error messages.
They send a dead cat laden drone
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
They send a dead cat laden drone
LOL

Actually, I would imagine the default font for Kindle and iBooks both has to be a serif font, so I guess my next-to-last question is moot.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that.

I went back and checked and found this in my style sheet:

body { font-family: Georgia; }

I'm getting ready to submit an update, so I'll change it to...

body { font-family: serif; }

Or should I not even put that?
You should not put font-family: serif;. All that ends up doing is sometimes causing a problem when trying to change the font.

Another thing to leave out unless you absolutely need it is line-height.

And finally, set the margins for 0. Let the person reading change the margins. Many programs/apps and newer Readers support changing the margins.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:24 AM   #23
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
As JSWolf and others point out, better not to set body font at all.

You can, however, set font-family for *small* selections, when you want a distinctive appearance. Such as "serif" for a chapter heading, or "monospace" for a telegram, etc.
(and I know Jon will think of a reason to dispute this....)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #24
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
And finally, set the margins for 0. Let the person reading change the margins. Many programs/apps and newer Readers support changing the margins.
Margins of WHAT?

On a web page, everything is generally built on div's, so I could style a page margin like this:

div.Page { margin: 0; }

But how would I do that in an epub, like this?:

body { margin: 0; }
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Margins of WHAT?

On a web page, everything is generally built on div's, so I could style a page margin like this:

div.Page { margin: 0; }

But how would I do that in an epub, like this?:

body { margin: 0; }
The last website I helped build, I did not use <div> where <p> and classes would do.

As for margins, in body, yes, use margins of 0. But do not use margin shorthand. Some older devices such as nook do not like them. Use the full margins.

Code:
body {
widows: 1;
orphans: 1;
margin-top: 0;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: justify;
}
That sets widows and orphans to 1. That means the end of the page stays the same (and to me, it looks better). Sets the margins to 0 and the text is justified.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
SigilBear
Banned

Alright, I have a much better handle on epub CSS now. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that.

<snippage>
I knew if I said this--in an attempt to be somewhat humorous but accurate--somebody would make hay with it (cough, cough, wheeze, Red, cough...)

Well, because a) suddenly, not only will your font not work, but if you embeddded it, it will be stripped from the file, and b) see a) and you might get the ubiquitous Kindle Quality Notice, AND, c) in addition to that, the Dreaded on-sales-page customer warning, about BAD or POOR formatting.

That part? Not bloody humorous, so you know. Not a bit.

The FG specifically say, no forced fonts, and the way that Amazon means that is that, NO fonts on the html body tag. If you do that, you stand a very good chance of having the fonts literally ripped out of the ePUB/MOBI/Zipped HTML/etc., package. I've seen it not only remove the fonts, but ALTER the CSS in the book, removing any mention of said fonts.

The Warning? Trust me when I tell you, they are getting mighty goddamned liberal with it.

I have a still (also) trade-pubbed client, published a scholarly bio book on a Golden Age Hollywood Celebrity. The client is a known author, biographer of such folks, etc. The book's been up on Amazon in Kindle format since 2011. No worries, and it sells a nice moderate number, as would be expected given it's not about a bloody Kardashian. The book is a backlist book--originally published by Knopf in H/C.

In 2011, we received a scan and OCR of the original printed work, and made the book. (n.b.: everybody please remember, we just make the ebooks, we're not an editing service, at all.)

He recently gets a Nastygram from Amazon (aka, a Kindle Quality Notice). Somebody found THIRTEEN (13) WHOLE scan/text errors, right? Our of 595 original print pages. 595. Not 20, or even "only" 100 printed pages, nearly 600 pages. So Amazon sent the Kindle Quality Notice. Okay, so, that's not so bad. But wait, there's MORE!

They also put a Quality Issues Reported WARNING, up on the book's sales page. (And yes, my client tells me that the sales volume has dropped off, since same appeared. Not a total standstill, but still...).

I've attached a screenshot of the actual notice, from his Amazon page. Now, I've seen them a LOT worse, mind you, about formatting errors, etc., around Amazon, but still. Warn off prospective buyers? For 13 whole typos, in 600 pages, honestly, that seems pretty (*&^%$#@ draconian. I'd bet real money that the Knopf version had 13 damn typos in it, which is a pretty freaking LOW error rate. (Word count, 233K words. Error count, 13. Error rate: .005579. For the love of mike...)

Offered FWIW, y'all can feel free to ignore me if you want. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleQualityNotice_Typos.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	157345  
Old 06-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Hitch, I don't ignore you. I find your advice pretty darn useful.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Hitch, I don't ignore you. I find your advice pretty darn useful.
Wolfie:

My sweet, I didn't actually mean you. :-) You know that; you're my fave Resident Curmudgeon, warts and all.

Hitch
Old 06-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #30
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
He recently gets a Nastygram from Amazon (aka, a Kindle Quality Notice). Somebody found THIRTEEN (13) WHOLE scan/text errors, right? Our of 595 original print pages. 595. Not 20, or even "only" 100 printed pages, nearly 600 pages. So Amazon sent the Kindle Quality Notice. Okay, so, that's not so bad. But wait, there's MORE!
Wow, I wonder if the fact that Amazon never sent me any warnings means I did a really good job on my first book or it was so bad they said "Why bother?"

Actually, I think I did a pretty good job, but it was a pretty big project and there must some kind of errors in it. I still pick up little typos here and there.