Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
remove the header and footer in kepubs

Can anyone remind me how to remove the header and footer in kepubs, please.
I did it before, I remember it was easy to do, I think all I had to do was add some lines to a file in the glo, but I can’t find the post with the instructions.

It’s been ages since I puttered around with the device, in the beginning I tried several things, and made changes until I found a way that satisfied me, and since then I just added books with calibre and read, but the last two times that I updated the firmware the old collections come back, I tried to remove them with calibre but was unable, I ended deleting them one by one in the glo, we are talking about several dozen of collections, some off them without any book in them.

This last time when I updated they came back again and again I couldn’t delete them, I had no desire to keep deleting them every time I update so I thought I would logout on the device and login again with a new account, created from scratch, I did a backup, just in case anything goes wrong, and proceeded.

After logging in all my books were there, I connected to calibre and using the kobo utilities updated the metadata and reading positions, but the device didn’t update the collections. I added a few new books and for those the collections were created, so I removed all the books and send them again, and this time all the collections are there, the only problem is that I had removed the heather and footer before and logging out removed that option.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you want FullScreenReading=true in the FeatureSettings of the Kobo eReader.conf file.

With the Kobo Utilities in calibre you want to select the Database | Fix Duplicate Shelves option and ensure you do NOT select the Purge option. After the shelves have been removed from the device it is essential to do a sync from the device to Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 04:47 AM   #3
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank’s Peter, it was exactly that, just made the change and saved the info for the future.

I tried what you sugested the first time, and when it didn’t solve the problem I even uninstalled the plugin and reinstalled but it made no difference, later I realized it wouldn’t work because I didn’t had duplicate shelves, my problem were shelves that I no longer used, in the begining I created shelves for the series, and later I deleted them since it made no sense to have them like that if I could have the series information in the metadata, also there are shelves no longer in use since when I finish the books I delete them from the device.

I only started having this problem with the last 3 firmwares before that the old shelves didn't come back.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is an option in the KoboDriver (either the basic or Extended one) to Delete Empty Bookshelves. When this is enabled upon device connection empty bookshelves will be removed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #5
tempest@de
Fanatic

Tried that and it also didn't work, I'm just curious to know if this just hapened to me or if are there more cases but people don't complain.
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The usual reason for collections not being created or removed is that the configuration is wrong. As well as the options in the driver, metadata management in "Sending books to devices" needs to be set to automatic. The only other reason for them not to be deleted is if an SD card is sometimes used. If he card is not there and books on it are in collections, the collections are not considered to be empty.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
tempest@de
Fanatic

It is set to automatic and all works well with the new books that I add, and with creating new collections, it just doesn’t remove the older empty ones.

I think you just solved the mystery davidfor, it may be because off the sd card, when I created the collections I was putting all the books in the sdcard, but a few months ago I removed the sdcard and transferred the books to the internal memory.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
It is set to automatic and all works well with the new books that I add, and with creating new collections, it just doesn’t remove the older empty ones.

I think you just solved the mystery davidfor, it may be because off the sd card, when I created the collections I was putting all the books in the sdcard, but a few months ago I removed the sdcard and transferred the books to the internal memory.
Your first post mentions logging out on the device. If this was since the SD card was used, then there won't be any records for books on it that need to be removed.

If it is the SD card, one way to clean up the SD card records is to put an empty card into the device. When the device sees the card, it checks for books in the database and on the card. Any missing from the card are removed from the database. Any books on the card that are not in the database are added. If you have a card that has books you don't want to add to the device, the device does not scan folders that whose name starts with a dot (eg ".MySDCardBooks"). You could rename the folder, put the card in and let the device clean up and then rename the folder afterwards.

I'll put SD card cleanup in the TODO list for the utilities plugin. It's been suggested before but as it can be cleaned up by the above, it hasn't gotten to the top of my priorities yet. And to be honest, I had completely forgotten about it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #9
tempest@de
Fanatic

in the beginning off the year I put the books that were in the sdcard in the glo memory, I deleted them from the card and then I removed the card, I had to update the metadata and reading positions, the logging off I did Tuesday and it was the first time I did that since removing the card, so it must be the cause.

If I had asked about this the first time it happened I would have fixed it using the method you described, next time something like this happens I know I will be asking advice much sooner.

Thank you for the tip, I will save it in case I ever go back to using the sdcard.