Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #751
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just used

welcome90ca
welcome90us

as posted by NightBird. (& the welcome75ca posted here. Thanks!)
Wow!

What I don't get is all this talk about amazon destroying all their competitors on price, if Kobo can do 90% off coupons.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #752
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Is it legal to use discount codes that aren't meant for you? Just wondering.
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #753
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Yes, it is legal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #754
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Yes, it is legal.
Good. Just thought I'd make sure.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #755
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Good. Just thought I'd make sure.
Well, if you want to be sure, I suggest you consult a lawyer, or perhaps send an email to Kobo and ask them.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it. However, I personally don't think there's anything wrong, legally or morally with using discount/promo codes. But I am not a lawyer, nor have I asked Kobo directly.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #756
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Well, if you want to be sure, I suggest you consult a lawyer, or perhaps send an email to Kobo and ask them.

Free advice is worth what you pay for it. However, I personally don't think there's anything wrong, legally or morally with using discount/promo codes. But I am not a lawyer, nor have I asked Kobo directly.
Yes. I didn't feel the need to be THAT sure. Free advice is good value.
Anyway I didn't find anything in their term of service against it so...
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #757
bob123
Addict

Although, on second, thought sending an email to Kobo might be a good idea.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #758
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
For people who read Christian fiction, I just spotted this offer on the front page of the US Kobo site (may not apply in all regions; ETA: also on the Canadian front-page once I turn off the VPN IP proxy).

30% off any book by the Baker Publishing group (imprints include Bethany House, Revell, Chosen Books, Baker Academic, etc.) with coupon code Baker30 until April 23rd, 11:59 EST. One coupon per customer.

They are also offering discounts (probably price-matched in other stores) for 1st in series Baker books starting at $1.99 (and up to $3.49, discountable also with the regular coupons). Several of these titles have been freebied in other stores previously, so check the Deals forum or your archives to see if you have it already.

Details and links to the Baker imprints can be found on this Kobo special promo page.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-20-2012 at 03:30 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #759
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Just another take on this, Kobo certainly knows how to technically implement coupons tied to a user account such that only the intended recipient could use it. If they in fact release coupon codes that can be used by multiple accounts it could be construed that they are OK with it and consider it part of their marketing that such codes will spread by word-of-mouth.

It is certainly the kind of thing that would lead me to try a book that I otherwise might not of which could lead me to buying other books.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #760
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Just don't do so before I get a chance to use all these (lest they kill them, as they did the re-usable $1 code on the last shopping spree.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #761
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Whew! That was some shopping spree. I think I might still have one of the 50% codes left, I've lost track.

I threw Kobo a bone and bought a few full priced books while I was hunting deals and I'm sure I'll make up all the discounts buying future books after trying out some of these, since many of the authors are new to me and have other couponable books available at Kobo.

The damage was $14.40 for 9 books (one was a trilogy though), that would have otherwise cost me over $100. Plus I spent another $20 on those full priced books.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #762
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I think that the people at Kobo know what they are doing. Probably they will lose $100 000 or more with these huge discounts, but they could gain more effective advertisement compared to traditional online advertisement with a similar budget. If nothing else, forum threads are not filtered out by AdBlock.

Forums and social networks are a potential marketing channel and can increase the popularity of a company, as long as the company gives them something to talk about. See similar tactics employed by the Dutch Airlines here.

Last edited by slex; 04-20-2012 at 07:18 PM.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #763
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
There are at least 2 Kobo staff who are members on this message board. I'm wondering if they know about this thread? They are DarrellAtKobo and KoboJason. I would be interested in their feedback, since people are wondering about the bigger discount codes. Someone did point out that this thread has been on the go for quite a while now, over a year, so I would think that Kobo would be aware of it by now.

(I haven't talked to them about it.)

Last edited by 49Kat; 04-20-2012 at 09:43 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #764
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Wow, I just used the 90% and 75% codes. I had to use as is (...ca)rather than substitute the country code.
I'm not complaining a $20odd book for around $2 and a $14odd book for about $3.
I suspect the codes are "loss-leaders" like the big department store use to attract you in to buy more stuff than you really need :-)
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:24 AM   #765
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I suppose it gets people into the Kobo ecosystem. Most people would say I like Amazon I just want to stick to using one book seller. But then they have two coupons for 90% off and just like that they now have a Kobo account.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals