Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
synlor
synlor has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX
Easier German Novels

I'm trying to get back into practicing my German, and I am looking for a few novels that are on the easier end. I'd prefer the books to be written originally in German; something doesn't feel right when reading a book that was originally written in English in another language. In terms of genre I'd prefer a thriller type story, but I'm not too picky. So does anyone have any book or author suggestions?
synlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
synlor, have you tried posting this question on the German Language Forum as well? Might get a more extensive response.

Last edited by MickeyC; 04-03-2010 at 09:26 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I only read an English translation, but I really enjoyed "Tubby Schaumann" by Wilhelm Rabbe. It's available here on MR in German under its original title.
Raabe, Wilhelm: Stopfkuchen - Eine See- und Mordgeschichte. german. v1. 12 mar 2009
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #4
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by synlor View Post
I'm trying to get back into practicing my German, and I am looking for a few novels that are on the easier end. I'd prefer the books to be written originally in German; something doesn't feel right when reading a book that was originally written in English in another language. In terms of genre I'd prefer a thriller type story, but I'm not too picky. So does anyone have any book or author suggestions?
In my experience with other languages, children's books, historical novels and romance are good start.
Of course it it depends on what kind of books you like, e.g. if you like adventure, you may go for Gerstäcker or Karl May (quite a big selection to be found here).
The people in the German Forum are usually very helpful will be able to give you more recommendations.

Actually I have the same question about French Books, guess I'll try my luck in their forum.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I was in the same boat as you some time ago, and settled on a cozy, historical mystery, "Der dunkle Spiegel" by Andrea Schacht. I chose something like this because I expected it to be resonably easy to read and the mystery element would be an added draw.

So my suggestion is to look for genre fiction (usually easier to read) of a type, and with a story line, that would appeal to you. Libri.de (and some other German store I can't remember the name of) have a good selection.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Jugend ohne Gott, by Odon von Hòrvath. It's a great criminal thriller, plus a thoughtful piece which allows many re-readings, and I can tell it's apt for foreign students because I had it in school as a mandatory reading, being a foreign student myself

The big stores are Libri.de, Weltbild and Thalia.de
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Jugend Ohne Gott can be found here (epub), there is also a prc version.

Moderator Note: This is a link to MobileRead.]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-15-2013 at 08:19 AM.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherwax View Post
Jugend Ohne Gott can be found here (epub), there is also a prc version.
Thanks!
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Klariii
Klariii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Smile Here some other good german book hints

Wilhelm Busch, Max & Moritz (really simple )

Reinhart Heißler, eiS - 180° (big vocabulary )

Max Frisch, Homo Faber (short sentences )

regards!
Klariii
Klariii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Des Teufels General by Carl Zuckmayer

It is a play, but I remember reading it for a high school German class many years ago. It is a political thriller of sorts set in WWII.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Pismire
Small God, also Turtle.
Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pismire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
While not originally German, the Little Prince has always been a good start into new languages for me
Pismire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I would look into Michael Ende, author of The Neverending Story (and many other books). He writes childrens/YA books, but they can be enjoyed by any age, like Harry Potter. But just a note on The Neverending Story itself: if you get a good edition, the text is printed in different colors for different characters/stories. So if you have an e-ink reader, you will miss out on that.

I read some of Michael Ende's books in AP German in High School, along with "Der Richter und Sein Henker" which I also remember enjoying.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
On the thriller side, I liked Andreas Franz novels a lot. Not too hard to read (tried German Fantasy and went back to my dictionary...) but not for beginners either.

I started reading German with teenage French literature translations that I got from the local public library. It was good because I had already read them in French so even if I had problems with the language, I still knew what was going on. Next was "Crazy" from Benjamin Lebert. Books from Patrick Süskind or Stefan Zweig aren't too hard either... but no thrillers.
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
When I decided to improve my English a couple of decades ago, I went with books (originals or translations) that I had already read in my native language. The familiarity with the story helped me to "grasp" what was going on better and allowed me to "guess" the meaning of words and sentences that I didn't understand. It made for more fluid reading.

If I were to do this now, as a native English speaker (which I'm not), I would pick up the first German translation of Lord of the Rings. Yes, I'm actually serious. The initial translation (from the sixties, I believe) is almost better than the original and reads smoothly. I read it at age fourteen, and I wasn't the most patient individual back then. The newer translation (eighties?), however, is as overdone as the original (a blasphemous statement, I know!) .

If this idea doesn't appeal, then I'd recommend the books and short stories by Erich Kästner. Mostly written for children, but nevertheless excellent.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
If you want something really easy, perhaps Cornelia Funke.
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote