Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Reliable US mailing address services?

Still working on a permanent and simple solution to directly buying from US stores with regional restrictions (like Amazon, Sony, etc). I can get a credit card from a US bank. Since the US mailing address, however, has to be an address the bank actually sends the mail to, I do not want to use a friends address. A number of commercial shopping and mail forwarding services are available. Like GetmyUSmail.com, etc. They give you an actual US street address for a monthly fee and can forward any mail in bulk at a later date. The problem is, how reliable are they? Since they would be receiving bank mail this obviously is a very important issue. Is anybody using these, perhaps a US expat who gets his/her mail forwarded? All of us who are not US residents and are paying way too much or have to jump through hoops to shop at US stores would greatly appreciate if some members can share their experiences.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
If you're not a US citizen, have no social security number and no US credit history I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to get a US credit card even is you have a US address you can use.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem there. I have a good relationship with my bank and they also have branches in the US and would be willing to issue a credit card from one of those branches. Apparently a lot of people are doing it, so the bank told me.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
In that case nice one!

I don't have any experience with the services you're talking about in the US but work for a company that offers as a similar service in the UK and to be honest there's so little to it that I couldn't imagine a company that had this as a dedicated business being anything other than reliable.

You might also have the option of switching to online statements only or something which would really minimise any mail you might get and keep costs down.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
I did a google - try the following:

http://www.myus.com/

http://www.myusabox.com/

http://www.shipito.com/

I have not used them, but was seriously going to try the first one (myus.com) to get a Sony, then the BeBook was released and was a much better option. They also offer US credit card service, where they use their US cards to buy stuff and they bill to your foreign card.

There are a lot of retailers that won't ship outside US - I have managed to find alternatives for what I need, but have kept these handy just in case.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard

I have found the same companies and more. My problem is, which one is most trustworthy? At the moment, all I have are websites. I was hoping for some input from a member who has actually used one of them. I read some positive comments about MyUS.com. But their monthly charge for a mailing address is 35 USD. That would wipe out any possible savings. Others are around 15 USD, which seems more reasonable.

After all, that company would have my credit card details and would handle (though hopefully not open) some bank mail, even though I can limit the amount of money in that account by uploading before I make any purchases. So I want to be careful. Plenty of scams out there.

I asked the bank to hold my mail. But unfortunately they don't do that. I can have two addresses but the address given to retailers online will be the one that the mail is actually sent to. Managing the account is no problem, that can be done online. But there will still be mailings for monthly statements and every time the card is used.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Still working on a permanent and simple solution to directly buying from US stores with regional restrictions (like Amazon, Sony, etc). I can get a credit card from a US bank. Since the US mailing address, however, has to be an address the bank actually sends the mail to, I do not want to use a friends address. A number of commercial shopping and mail forwarding services are available. Like GetmyUSmail.com, etc. They give you an actual US street address for a monthly fee and can forward any mail in bulk at a later date. The problem is, how reliable are they? Since they would be receiving bank mail this obviously is a very important issue. Is anybody using these, perhaps a US expat who gets his/her mail forwarded? All of us who are not US residents and are paying way too much or have to jump through hoops to shop at US stores would greatly appreciate if some members can share their experiences.
You can have you statements e-mail to you instead. Most US banks offers this service when you are registering your card. It stops me getting a bunch of junk mail. I get an e-mail that says my statement is ready and I go the site to view my statement. The only bad thing is that it does not stop the checks, which is way more dangerous then the statements.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard

wish my bank would offer this. Unfortunately I am restricted in my choices, not every US bank will issue me a credit card, even though I am quite credit worthy
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
i am an exiled african prince and have millions of my familiy's money still in the land i was born...

i too am looking for something similar to get my family's money back...

i also need someone's bank account so i can send you a check then send be back a portion of that for your trouble
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard

the old Nigerian connection! Strangely those e-mails have stopped by now. I can help you with your family fortune, send me the 10 million by PayPal. I will then handle the rest.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
wish my bank would offer this. Unfortunately I am restricted in my choices, not every US bank will issue me a credit card, even though I am quite credit worthy
For the Sony store, at least, the Virtual/Prepaid credit cards from http://www.entropay.com/ seem to be accepted. I've not personally used them, but my brother has (from Cyprus), with no problems.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Thanks for the info. Can you have him try registering for US iTunes? No need to buy anything, just registering. Did he try it at Amazon?