Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
darktower
darktower began at the beginning.

Device: SONY 505
E-reader V Pbooks

did not know where to post this so i will post it here (since i have a 505)

Hello there people

I have owned a PRS 505 for some time now and really enjoying it.
So i walk in to smiths toda to look around for any good books which i can buy off the interwebz and for some reason i ended up buying a book. I dont know but it just feels so much better reading a actual book then reading it of a E reader. Every book on the e reader gives you the same feeling your just reading another story while reading a actual book,u seem more into the authors work and the different font's also adds to the feeling.
I also bring out the ereader with me but hardly ever pull it out on my break because people just look at me like "what the hell is that" and just ruins my reading time.

tell me how you feel?
darktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I admit to enjoying reading a pBook once in a while for a change. But, I enjoy my reader and the reading experience it offers greatly--don't know how I ever lived without it! It's so convenient to pack with you, and easy to change books if you feel like reading something else.

I really enjoy the attention I get when I bring out the reader in public. I enjoy showing it off when people ask me about it--hoping that I can enlighten them on the benefits of electronic readers.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
I bought my first PDA (a Handspring Visor -- remember those??) about 2 weeks after I found out you could read books on them.

I don't miss p-books. In fact, when I pick one up now, I'm frustrated that I can't make the font larger when my eyes are tired, and that I have to prop them open with my hand. And then you have to find shelf space for them.

I respect that people still like physical books. I was that way once. But I love my ebooks.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I have trouble reading pbooks anymore; I can't get over the frustration of needing two hands, the slow page-turn rate, that the words get distorted in the middle, and the hassle of finding a bookmark every time I walk away from it for even a minute.

I put up with paper for reference works; e-readers can't flip through pages quickly, and while some ebooks have search functions, that won't help me find "the page with the picture of the red sword." But for actual reading, I want a screen, not paper.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't buy any P-books now. But I can still fondle and sniff books in stores. And yes, I do miss those sensations with e-books.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
For me, the content of the book is most important whether it is in paper or electronic format. I actually prefer ebooks because the Reader provides a consistent reading experience. I'm a tactile person so the texture of the paper, shape and size of the book as well as the embossed and diecut covers were distracting. Also, trying to hold a paperback open while eating in a restaurant could be problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archergal5219 View Post
I respect that people still like physical books. I was that way once. But I love my ebooks.
I agree. I'm pleased to see people reading, no matter the format.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I like physical books: I like eBooks. I generally save p-books for hardcovers and graphic novels.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I STILL have more unread p-books than I know what to do with. I don't see them going away anytime soon. And I have bought a few p-books since buying my 505. But I have to say I prefer the ebooks. I like making the font bigger. and I love being able to carry all those books with me. I can't wait to take it on vacation so I can see how awesome it is not to have to carry around a load of books. I think on my last vacation I brought 4 books and came home with 7 books...I bought 3 while I was there.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have been reading ebooks since I first bought my ebookman. I still buy pbooks and will still read them, but only at home. They are cumbersome to take with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktower View Post
I also bring out the ereader with me but hardly ever pull it out on my break because people just look at me like "what the hell is that" and just ruins my reading time.
Please, to take your reader out in public! Educate the public, show them the advantages of reading ebooks instead of pbooks. The ability to read everywhere, the ability to jump around in books, etc.

I will always take my PDA to read, sadly nobody ever comments on it (I hope it will be different when I do get my bebook mini...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
There are certain Authors i love (Stephen Baxter & Peter F Hamilton in particular) and even thought i'll buy the eBook to read on my 505 i still intend to buy the Dead Tree version to add to my collection. (I have almost all of Stephen Baxters books. inclugin a couple i had to try and get from eBay)
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktower View Post
So i walk in to smiths toda to look around for any good books which i can buy off the interwebz...
I really miss just browsing through a book store. I can browse fictionwise or amazon or whatever, but it doesn't match the hands on experience of a book store.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
darktower
darktower began at the beginning.

Device: SONY 505
i do think paperback is a better reading experience but the E reader is a convenient way to carry all your books around.

Some books like fantasy or stephen king have aloooooot of pages and its a daunting feeling when u just start the book(because the book is so fat and a chore to hold) where as the E reader makes that a much better experience.

i really miss covers and not caring if i throw my bag on the floor which as my book in side it, where as if i had the E reader in the bag, i would have to be VERY careful where i place it
darktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
After 5 years of reading eBooks, I've pretty much weaned myself off paper books. I'm at the point now if I book I really have to read is only available in paper, I grumble the entire time!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
rixkix
rixkix began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I agree with darktower about the font thing. I remember reading a sci fi book when I was a kid that had a font with a completely different feel to it. It was actually more immersing than distracting. I know it's possible to do with ebooks, but I doubt a majority of books that had unique typefaces are rendered as ebooks in the same fashion as the originals.
rixkix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
I did miss the unique feeling different books gave me but i got too used to the 505 to easily go back to pbooks. My reader was stolen a few weeks ago and i tried to re-read some of my pbooks but i just couldnt get into them as before, i guess i need to get used to them again.

If you miss pbooks then you might want to try this on your ebook reader to see if it helps
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote