Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I do have a tiny collection of DVD... & 500+ in my VUDU collection. Have purchased a physical movie or book in Over a decade.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
We may be moving to another country early next year, and if we do, we will not be taking TVs with us. So I'm happy with a format that's nice and portable, something to watch on my tablet on the flights, and on a laptop when we get there. Also, most of the DVDs I have are of Hindi movies from the 50s and 60s, so upscaling is veering into "lipstick on a pig" territory
Upscaling of DVD files is a function of the software you use to archive and/or the playback software. Some are good, some are merely decent.

I tried a few options and ended up archiving the DVDs as straight ISO files.
(It retains captions, special features, and alternate soundtracks.)

I playback with MrMC on FireTV (KODI minus unvetted Addins) via WIFi. The software upscales nicely, mostly because the files are (internally) Mpeg with lots of redundant data. Looks about as good as the source DVD on my old OPPO BD player and better than feeding the TV SD and using the onboard upscaler.

It's the bulkiest way to go but terabyte drives are dirt cheap.

As always, YMMV.

The DVDs I keep as decoration in two bookcases.
Books, I use two custom bookcases; one for mmpb and one for hardcovers.
Separate room that I visit once or twice a year.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-17-2019 at 12:03 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #33
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I don't have too many, but I'm hanging on to the paperbacks/hardcovers I still own. Some are cherished favorites I read a long time ago and don't want to part with. The rest are ones I couldn't find digitally or don't want to pay for a digital copy.

And yeah, having some book spines on display adds some much needed ambiance to the house.

Last edited by azayn; 09-17-2019 at 12:17 PM.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #34
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I even have a paperback copy of Jane Eyre in my car. It's been there as long as I've owned the car, 14 years.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have my original paperback copy of Gone with the Wind, which I bought as a sophomore in high school, not knowing anything about it. I love to see it on the bookshelf in all its tattered glory; it's got loose pages, taped-together spine, tearstains, underlinings, dog-eared corners--I read that copy again and again and would never willingly part with it. I have the digital version of course, and a couple of hardcover editions--I even have a copy of the exact paperback edition as my original that is in great condition, but it doesn't evoke the same memories.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #36
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Upscaling of DVD files is a function of the software you use to archive and/or the playback software. Some are good, some are merely decent.

I tried a few options and ended up archiving the DVDs as straight ISO files.
(It retains captions, special features, and alternate soundtracks.)
The DVDs I keep as decoration in two bookcases.
Books, I use two custom bookcases; one for mmpb and one for hardcovers.
Separate room that I visit once or twice a year.
Yes, I tend to store my DVDs as ISOs too. As you say large capacity drives are cheap, and ever so slightly easier to pack for international travel than bookcases. I do love living now, when thousands of books and hundreds of movies can all be held in one hand
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #37
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
While I abandoned pbooks a while back my wife doesn’t like ereaders and has continued to buy what interests her. So as much as I’ve eliminated 95% of all the pbooks in favor or ebooks there are still tons around the house.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:04 AM   #38
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
We're slowly digitising but a lot of my collection aren't available digitally or only at silly prices. I'm not really interested in re-purchasing a title I already own in paper at full price - I'd sooner save the money and buy several books (new to me or not) in a deal.

Fortunately, we have the space - the bulk of the paper copies live in shelves in what used to be an attached garage - but I can see from where I'm sitting 4 6' bookcases stuffed with books, 3 6' CD towers (mostly full), 3 3.5' DVD units - one used for books, the others 2 for DVDs with the overspill in the TV unit, and a 3' bookcase used for records.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My physical book stock has been mightily trimmed, but I still have a couple of sizeable bookshelves in the living room.

But I probably now own more books than I ever have - ca. 4,000 ebooks in calibre, IIRC.

Can I see myself getting rid of all pbooks? Probably not. Although if we moved to somewhere smaller, I can see the stock getting reduced even further.

OTOH, I never read pbooks. Perhaps I should just get rid of them all.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 AM   #40
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ As my good buddy Cicero said to me the other day,

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

And ol' Borges piped in with this (it's so hard to keep him quiet):

“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”
― Jorge Luis Borges
The above sums up my feelings exactly and my respect for Borges has increased.

I still would not be without my ebooks though.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #41
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ As my good buddy Cicero said to me the other day,

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
I find this quote both interesting and apt, since paper books, the subject of this topic, did not even exist when Kikero (phonetic) was alive. Clearly, he liked his rooms to be full of reading material in the format he was familiar with. Making his quote capable of being used to defend ebooks as well, since his quote was about the content not the medium. Unless, of course, those using his quote abjure paper books in favour of scrolls and codices
Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I find this quote both interesting and apt, since paper books, the subject of this topic, did not even exist when Kikero (phonetic) was alive. Clearly, he liked his rooms to be full of reading material in the format he was familiar with. Making his quote capable of being used to defend ebooks as well, since his quote was about the content not the medium. Unless, of course, those using his quote abjure paper books in favour of scrolls and codices
It's unlikely that he actually said that. The quote is more modern and is possibly a paraphrase of something that he did say in one of his letters which was translated as "Since Tyrannio has arranged my books, the house seems to have acquired a soul". Of course, the word used "libros" is the plural of libro, the root of the word library. You are correct that the word is used in the context of content rather than actual media since books as we know them didn't exist then.

One can argue that the quote really means that a house with an ordered library in whatever media has acquired a soul. I know that many people find being able to see their books and browse through their collection, restful and calming.

Last edited by pwalker8; 09-18-2019 at 10:39 AM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #43
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

One can argue that the quote really means that a house with an ordered library in whatever media has acquired a soul.
Which is similar in intent to what I said - and thanks to Kovid, my library is VERY well ordered
Old 09-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #44
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Yes, I tend to store my DVDs as ISOs too. As you say large capacity drives are cheap, and ever so slightly easier to pack for international travel than bookcases. I do love living now, when thousands of books and hundreds of movies can all be held in one hand
Funny thing,if I'd known what streaming would bring, I wouldn't have bought all those DVD season sets.
More money for ebooks.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:12 PM   #45
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Books are 'needed' in certain situations. I am in a 1 br apt so that the audio system is in the LR. Having some books & shelves in the LR helps disperse the sound waves because of the soft surfaces; the help depends on the kind of furniture in the room.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote