Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #421
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Even worse than the first Kindle Oasis (if you didn't use the cover)?
Maybe, if the KOA2 is stuck indexing, which some seem to think is a normal use case.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #422
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe, if the KOA2 is stuck indexing, which some seem to think is a normal use case.
I assumed you were talking about normally operating Kindles.

Sorry for the confusion.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #423
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I assumed you were talking about normally operating Kindles.

Sorry for the confusion.
I was, and you got me, unless I insist the cover battery is part of "the battery", which I am torn trying to decide.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #424
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Of course the KOA2 is better than KO without cover... KO has less than 300 mAh battery, KOA2 has 1000 mAh.

However, 'stuck indexing' is a red herring,, the KOA2 doesn't get stuck indexing.. it either goes to hibernation, or it is being used to read. (for some reason, even though it has a dual core processor, Amazon has decided to suspend indexing while the reader is in use. You can have it open and reading for over 5 hours, and it will not index a single book. KOA2, with no external power, *only* indexes for the x number of minutes (sorry, I haven't determined exactly the value of x, but it's less than 1 hour) when the reader is put to sleep, before it hibernates. The only way indexing would add noticeable drain to the battery is if the Kindle is woken and put back to sleep several times in a day.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #425
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
However, 'stuck indexing' is a red herring,, the KOA2 doesn't get stuck indexing.. it either goes to hibernation, or it is being used to read. (for some reason, even though it has a dual core processor, Amazon has decided to suspend indexing while the reader is in use.
How do you know? The KOA2 is certainly able to get stuck indexing, it is not immune. With all the shenanigans going on behind the scenes with KFX, there is a very good chance it is prone to getting stuck more often than other readers. E.g. device specific downloads that are possible, even if nobody caught them yet.

My Oasis 2 had battery drain issues unrelated to indexing - not staying in hibernation due to sleep cover. Others showed the same symptoms. That problem appears to slowly got eradicated after I mentioned my theory. I am not seeing any more new cases about not seeing the "waking up" when it should have.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #426
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Simple power of observation. Load up a few hundred books on the device. (between 50,000 and 400,000 words each.). Every time the kindle is put to sleep, when you check on it again later, it will have indexed 5 to 20 books, (regardless of whether you checked in 30 minutes or two days.). Read on it all day, and not a single book will be indexed until next time is put to sleep. It's very easy to understand what it's doing and under what condition it's doing it. Of course, if the Kindles does *not* hibernate, things will be very different, but that's not an indexing issue. (although, indexing would certainly aggravate it.)

Incidentally, if the KOA is connected to a power source under the same conditions, it will chew right though over 100 books in less than half an hour. But, keep in mind, if the power source is a computer, it has to be ejected *and* put to sleep.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #427
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
Quote:
Even worse than the first Kindle Oasis (if you didn't use the cover)?
Without the cover on the first Oasis I consider them equally bad.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #428
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Well even tho I stopped the indexing the battery life still sucks. don't see any real improvement. was at 100% last night , Now at 75%
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #429
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Well even tho I stopped the indexing the battery life still sucks. don't see any real improvement. was at 100% last night , Now at 75%
There have been many, many complaints about poor battery life. It doesn't seem to affect every buyer, but it does affect enough that it is a caution. Sorry you're having trouble with yours.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #430
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've had my Oasis 2 since December, I've come to terms with it since then. The shock of the limited battery with a large screen and 12 leds. I use it differently than my other kindles. Never leave wifi on. Shut off screen when not in use. Not just close the magnetic cover. Extra steps to conserve the battery. I still need to charge it often.

I do like the Oasis 2 it's a quality device, with buttons, gyro. Nice screen and ease of use. However I would only buy another one at a very good discount or very good sale, and that's only if the next one has the same size battery.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #431
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I've had my Oasis 2 since December, I've come to terms with it since then. The shock of the limited battery with a large screen and 12 leds. I use it differently than my other kindles. Never leave wifi on. Shut off screen when not in use. Not just close the magnetic cover. Extra steps to conserve the battery. I still need to charge it often.

I do like the Oasis 2 it's a quality device, with buttons, gyro. Nice screen and ease of use. However I would only buy another one at a very good discount or very good sale, and that's only if the next one has the same size battery.
I love my Oasis 2 and am reconciled to the battery life. I keep wifi off as much as possible, and just charge it when it needs it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #432
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I leave wifi on now on all my kindles. I just like the sync to work always. Just the way I roll. Same with my Oasis2. I used to keep wifi off, but for me, its not really that big of a difference. I think because of the amount I read, I have to charge it at some point no matter if wifi is on or off. And I have put it down with wifi on for a while using a new basic I got and it didn't go down a lot while in deep sleep.

So I just plug it in when it looks like it needs juice. I don't time anything anymore. I have never had a kindle last me more than 4 days period. I can read a book a day, sometimes more.

But my Oasis 2 even with reading a lot can still go 2-3 days I think. I really don't know exactly as I don't time it anymore. But that is hours and hours of reading, especially on the weekend. Pretty sure it gets what it claims on the page when adding the so many hours per week and translate to actual reading time.

My voyage lasts a wee bit longer and so does the Oasis1 in the cover. The basic I don't know yet. Overall, not that big of a difference between them. But then I remember the days when I had to read while plugging in my K1 as it barely last me through a day reading heavily.

So my Oasis2 is operating as it is suppose to. Counting actual reading hours, not days, actual usage. Which is really what matters to me at least. Not saying some of them can't have issues. Mine doesn't though thankfully. And I wish all my devices charged as lighting fast as this Oasis2. My phone can take 4 hours if I run it down, but it does have a 5000something batter, so its huge. Oasis2, I plug it in, do some stuff and its green light. Fast. And I like the buttons and shape and screen and I like reading on it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #433
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One thing I’ve not seen too many people mention about the KO2 is that it recharges amazingly quickly - by far the quickest of any reader I’ve ever owned. If it’s at 70% battery charge, if I plug it in while I have a cup of tea and a bowl of cornflakes it’ll be back at 100% by the time I’ve finished them (maybe 15-20 minutes). My iPhone, by contrast, takes hours and hours to recharge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #434
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I've read a few reviews where people have stated it charges incredibly fast. That's a perk.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #435
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Doesn't fast recharging have a downside, shorter battery life?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2