Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #406
nikkisharif
nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Gotcha, many thanks! I was starting to think I've got some defective unit

Glad I could help😊 It’s really a great device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nikkisharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #407
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I still think you need to find a way to exchange it. Battery loss is still too high (if you're getting a 20% loss when not reading) and the automatic rebooting is definitely not a good sign. Someone in your family (or one of your friends) should be able to receive it from Amazon and re-ship it to you with with your signature required.

I have no family and no close friends in my area all moved.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #408
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post
I read at brightness level 8, in Airplane mode. My KOA2 is no longer indexing. I'm already down to 55% charge after only one weekend of reading. While I don't know the exact number of hours I was reading, it wasn't more than usual. I will say that I could do the same amount on my old Oasis and not be anywhere close to 55%. I'm guessing at this rate I'll have to charge about 3 times more often than with the Oasis 1. Hopefully after a couple cycles it will be better but it's a little disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I hope my battery just needed a full charge/drain calibration.

I received it on October 31 with a partial charge. I charged it all the way and it updated to the latest firmware.

The battery died last night.....so that would be 4 days including having read 200 pages with light at 12 of 20.

I only have 3 books on the Oasis so I don't think it was burning battery indexing. Wifi on, Bluetooth off.

How has your battery experience been with the new Oasis?
Looks like I am not the only one. This week I managed to wait till day 4 before charging. Light level 9 to 11
Old 09-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #409
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've posted this several times in the last few days in the various threads about the Oasis, but to repeat it again:

1. Go to the Library screen.
2. Tap the "Search" button.
3. Enter a string of random characters as the search string (so you don't get any actual results).
4. On the results page, if the "Text in Books" line is enabled, tap it, and it'll say "Items Not Yet Indexed (NNN)" (where "NNN" is the number).
5. Tap that line to see what the books are that haven't yet been indexed.
I just realized I been checking it wrong the whole time. I am glad I reread your post. 5 items showed not indexed but they show downloaded? I tried removing them and they are suck stuck so I am resetting

Last edited by HLS; 09-02-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #410
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Several people have offered various solutions, myself included. If you had followed the steps I suggested (post #400 of this thread) you would have discovered you had an indexing problem.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #411
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Several people have offered various solutions, myself included. If you had followed the steps I suggested (post #400 of this thread) you would have discovered you had an indexing problem.
\\

Why are you being rude? I have done nothing to you for you to get snippy with me. I do not read 99% of the forum posts, I am too busy.

I never once asked for help or for anyone to get up in my business. Making a post about battery life is just a random statement chiming in on the conversation it is not asking for help or advise.

And you will probably get away with your rudeness but if I stand up for myself like I am now I am sure some mod will ban me or send me a PM that I will ignore.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:30 AM   #412
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
\\

Why are you being rude? I have done nothing to you for you to get snippy with me. I do not read 99% of the forum posts, I am too busy.

I never once asked for help or for anyone to get up in my business. Making a post about battery life is just a random statement chiming in on the conversation it is not asking for help or advise.

And you will probably get away with your rudeness but if I stand up for myself like I am now I am sure some mod will ban me or send me a PM that I will ignore.
Who made the mistake? Ignore the mods?

Isn't it time to take a step back and take a deep breath?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #413
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post

Just for the record:
  • It is assumed that when one posts about a problem, one is asking for help which our members are frequently gracious in providing at a cost to themselves of time and effort, despite being busy themselves.
  • It doesn't make a lot of sense to say that you post to chime in on the conversation but you don't read other posts. And if you can't be bothered to read other posts, why should anyone read yours?
  • Generally, snippy is as snippy does and I think the shoe's on the other foot here.

Just saying, and not banning or PMing. No need to check your inbox.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #414
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just for the record:
  • It is assumed that when one posts about a problem, one is asking for help which our members are frequently gracious in providing at a cost to themselves of time and effort, despite being busy themselves.
  • It doesn't make a lot of sense to say that you post to chime in on the conversation but you don't read other posts. And if you can't be bothered to read other posts, why should anyone read yours?
  • Generally, snippy is as snippy does and I think the shoe's on the other foot here.

Just saying, and not banning or PMing. No need to check your inbox.

Well said. Complaining for complaining's sake is no discussion at all. Posting in a thread and ignoring most of it is very rude, especially when a post is directly addressed to you by name or quote. I routinely only selectively answer to a part of a discussion that interests me enough to voice an opinion. But again, replying for replying's sake does not enhance the discussion, and is equally rude.

Have some well deserved Karma for this.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #415
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Well said. Complaining for complaining's sake is no discussion at all. Posting in a thread and ignoring most of it is very rude, especially when a post is directly addressed to you by name or quote. I routinely only selectively answer to a part of a discussion that interests me enough to voice an opinion. But again, replying for replying's sake does not enhance the discussion, and is equally rude.
And especially rude to persist in painting KOA2 battery life as a bigger problem than it actually is and to insist that a problem by an individual device is shared by all of them. then it turns out to be indexing after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Have some well deserved Karma for this.
MR moderators tend to be quite good, but issybird and pdurrant excel with the velvet glove.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #416
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
And especially rude to persist in painting KOA2 battery life as a bigger problem than it actually is and to insist that a problem by an individual device is shared by all of them. then it turns out to be indexing after all.
Unless I'm mistaken, kcladyz had another Oasis that she traded in for the fancier (gold colored) one. The issue started with a firmware upgrade to the new Oasis, if correctly. Again, if I remember correctly, I think kcladyz had nothing but good things to say for Oasis before the battery issue — so I don't think she has an anti-Kindle bias here. And I don't see her insisting that her individual Oasis battery issue is "shared by all of them" — but I have noted that other folks have mentioned battery issues (serious and otherwise) on the new Oases.

My frustration in this matter is her not being able to get the Oasis exchanged, due to odd circumstances. I feel sorry for her that she's got an expensive (high-end) eReader that has a very real problem and I want to see it solved.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #417
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, kcladyz had another Oasis that she traded in for the fancier (gold colored) one. The issue started with a firmware upgrade to the new Oasis, if correctly. Again, if I remember correctly, I think kcladyz had nothing but good things to say for Oasis before the battery issue — so I don't think she has an anti-Kindle bias here. And I don't see her insisting that her individual Oasis battery issue is "shared by all of them" — but I have noted that other folks have mentioned battery issues (serious and otherwise) on the new Oases.

My frustration in this matter is her not being able to get the Oasis exchanged, due to odd circumstances. I feel sorry for her that she's got an expensive (high-end) eReader that has a very real problem and I want to see it solved.

I agree with that frustration.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #418
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
At the risk of stepping into a land mine.. there is one thing that is often repeated here that I think is very incorrect. A battery drain issue on the KOA2 is not simply indexing.

I say this because, unlike all the previous models of Kindle, after the KOA2 has been asleep long enough, it goes into some kind of suspend mode. (You can tell when you turn it on, you have a few seconds of "Please Wait" before it's ready to resume.) It does not index *any* books when in that low power state. It only indexes however many books it can in the minutes from when it's first turned off before the final power save mode.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #419
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
At the risk of stepping into a land mine.. there is one thing that is often repeated here that I think is very incorrect. A battery drain issue on the KOA2 is not simply indexing.

I say this because, unlike all the previous models of Kindle, after the KOA2 has been asleep long enough, it goes into some kind of suspend mode. (You can tell when you turn it on, you have a few seconds of "Please Wait" before it's ready to resume.) It does not index *any* books when in that low power state. It only indexes however many books it can in the minutes from when it's first turned off before the final power save mode.
Yes, battery life on the KOA2 is worse than on any other e-ink kindle even though it is the only one with the deepest sleep mode. It has a smaller battery, even though it has more cores and even higher speed. It also has more screen to light up and its warmer color might (or might not) need more current. It also uses more LEDs to light that larger screen.
The KOA2 also seems to want to outshine brighter ambient light than other models.

But most KOA2 owners seem to get over a week out of a charge.

Some say they lose 10% to 20% per day with wireless off, the light off, no indexing, and only a few hours reading per day. These almost always turn out to be indexing anyway, but that is an Amazon bug not specific to the KOA2 model, and can be mitigated by the user.

Amazon stretches the truth on battery life for all their reader models, even more so with the KOA2, but not nearly so bad as some of the claims on this thread.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #420
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yes, battery life on the KOA2 is worse than on any other e-ink kindle even though it is the only one with the deepest sleep mode. ...
Even worse than the first Kindle Oasis (if you didn't use the cover)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2