Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #346
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I've owned an Oasis 2 since February. After finishing my 11th book on it today, I must say that I love the device, but loathe the battery life.

With my Voyage, I could binge-read for days before having to recharge. With the Oasis, a single day of heavy reading is enough to drain my battery (I never got the low battery warning with my Voyage...)

I still prefer the reading experience of the Oasis 2, so I won't be going back. But it'll be annoying in extended trips (fortunately, I've a large external charger for my phone, and the Kindle charges rather quickly).

EDIT: Apparently Amazon estimates battery life predicated on people reading 30 minutes a day, on average. Anyone who buys a Kindle Oasis and reads a measly 30 minutes per day is either filthy rich or very stupid

Last edited by miguel1626; 04-01-2018 at 08:48 PM.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #347
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
11 books that’s impressive.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #348
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Easily accomplished when you have no social life
Old 04-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #349
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
I've owned an Oasis 2 since February. After finishing my 11th book on it today, I must say that I love the device, but loathe the battery life.

With my Voyage, I could binge-read for days before having to recharge. With the oasis, a single day of heavy reading is enough to drain my battery (I never got the low battery warning with my Voyage...)

I still prefer the reading experience of the Oasis 2, so I won't be going back. But it'll be annoying in extended trips (fortunately, I've a large external charger for my phone, and the Kindle charges rather quickly).
It's too bad about the battery problem, because IMO Amazon got everything else just about right.

In my quest for a better e-reader where I didn't have to worry about the battery, I first bought a Nook Glowlight 3. Its rubberized bezel feels very comfortable in your hand and the screen is beautiful. I'm spoiled by the page turn buttons on the Oasis, though, and the buttons on the Nook don't respond as quickly. And the rest of the software is not good. A good reader to load a few books on to take on a trip, or to go somewhere when you have an appointment.

I just bought a Kobo H2O, 2nd edition, since lots of people rave about their Kobos. The screen is not very responsive to touch, though, so I don't see myself keeping it. My least favorite of the three.

No perfect e-reader available, I don't think.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #350
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
It's too bad about the battery problem, because IMO Amazon got everything else just about right.

In my quest for a better e-reader where I didn't have to worry about the battery, I first bought a Nook Glowlight 3. Its rubberized bezel feels very comfortable in your hand and the screen is beautiful. I'm spoiled by the page turn buttons on the Oasis, though, and the buttons on the Nook don't respond as quickly. And the rest of the software is not good. A good reader to load a few books on to take on a trip, or to go somewhere when you have an appointment.

I just bought a Kobo H2O, 2nd edition, since lots of people rave about their Kobos. The screen is not very responsive to touch, though, so I don't see myself keeping it. My least favorite of the three.

No perfect e-reader available, I don't think.

Jim
I agree the Oasis 2 would be perfect except for the battery life. I also wonder why they base their kindles on those who read only 30 mins, a day ? If someone spends more on a premium device, you would think they are probably reading more than 30 mins a day.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #351
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I agree the Oasis 2 would be perfect except for the battery life. I also wonder why they base their kindles on those who read only 30 mins, a day ? If someone spends more on a premium device, you would think they are probably reading more than 30 mins a day.
Which sounds better, weeks of battery life or days of battery life?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #352
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Easily accomplished when you have no social life
I don't have one as well lol Since mid December I read

Seveneves
Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O
Year One
Beneath A Scarlet Sky
The Book of Dust
Gwendys Button Box
Childhoods End
The Hammer of God
Camino Island
The Firm
The Rooster Bar
Never Have Your Dog Stuffed
Fire and Fury ( whitehouse)
Despiration
Old 04-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #353
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post

I agree people that buy these ereaders tend to read more than that. Light level 10 is really dark almost as dark as the kindle base model. I am surprised the base model sells for it is so dark. I purchased one and returned it for the screen was so dark.

But even if someone read for at least and hour or hour and a half a day with a light level a little above 10 you would think that you can get at least 3 weeks from a charge. Then again charging once a week or every other week is better than charging daily like you have to with a cell phone or tablet.

The people new to ereading coming to this thread are going to think what obsessed people we are nit picking the topic of battery life LOL

Last edited by HLS; 04-02-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #354
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which sounds better, weeks of battery life or days of battery life?
That's true, weeks sounds better, so they set the bar lower.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #355
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I agree people that buy these ereaders tend to read more than that. Light level 10 is really dark almost as dark as the kindle base model. I am surprised the base model sells for it is so dark. I purchased one and returned it for the screen was so dark.

But even if someone read for at least and hour or hour and a half a day with a light level a little above 10 you would think that you can get at least 3 weeks from a charge. Then again charging once a week or every other week is better than charging daily like you have to with a cell phone or tablet.

The people new to ereading coming to this thread are going to think what obsessed people we are nit picking the topic of battery life LOL
LOl . It comes up often in this thread. I can't imagine why ?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #356
miguel1626
Great Old One

Quote:

Seveneves
Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O
Year One
Beneath A Scarlet Sky
The Book of Dust
Gwendys Button Box
Childhoods End
The Hammer of God
Camino Island
The Firm
The Rooster Bar
Despiration
Nice list! I've read Seveneves about a year ago, The Book of Dust and Gwendy's Button Box are on my to be read list (ETA: ~2-3 months), Hammer of God (and Childhood's End) I read quite a few years ago and is pretty good (and last week I finished Lucifer's Hammer.)

I'm currently reading Bryan Caplan's The Case Against Education and The Collected Ghost Stories of M.R. James (Quite schizophrenic, I know ).

Last edited by miguel1626; 04-02-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #357
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Nice list! I've read Seveneves about a year ago, The Book of Dust and Gwendy's Button Box are on my to be read list (ETA: ~2-3 months), Hammer of God (and Childhood's End) I read quite a few years ago and is pretty good (and last week I finished Lucifer's Hammer.)

I'm currently reading Bryan Caplan's The Case Against Education and The Collected Ghost Stories of M.R. James (Quite schizophrenic, I know ).
Button Box was surprisingly good. It was an easy read. Neal Stephenson's DODO a much easier read then his other books but you can tell he is a science geek in real life for in the book he makes strange attempts at humor that only antisocial geeks understand LOL

I love Author C Clarke. I am a huge fan of the Odyssey and Time series. I never understood the movies 2001 and 2010 till I read the books then it all clicked. You need to go to youtube and watch the animated movie "black holes" its so funny and there is an Arthur C Clark spoof at the end.

Last edited by HLS; 04-02-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #358
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:

Seveneves
Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O
Year One
Beneath A Scarlet Sky
The Book of Dust
Gwendys Button Box
Childhoods End
The Hammer of God
Camino Island
The Firm
The Rooster Bar
Despiration
Nice list, read seveneves, childhoods end and the hammer of god. I enjoyed them all. Will have to take a look at the others on the list.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #359
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Nice list, read seveneves, childhoods end and the hammer of god. I enjoyed them all. Will have to take a look at the others on the list.
DODO is good. It is about science meets magic meets time travel Neal Stephenson style
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #360
miguel1626
Great Old One

Quote:
Button Box was surprisingly good. It was an easy read. Neal Stephenson's DODO a much easier read then his other books but you can tell he is a science geek in real life for in the book he makes strange attempts at humor that only antisocial geeks understand LOL

I love Author C Clarke. I am a huge fan of the Odyssey and Time series. I never understood the movies 2001 and 2010 till I read the books then it all clicked. You need to go to youtube and watch the animated movie "black holes" its so funny and there is an Arthur C Clark spoof at the end.
You just convinced me to add DODO to my reading list. I love Neal Stephenson anyway, though I have yet to read his entire oeuvre.

By the way, if you like quirky, geeky humor, you should try Charles Stross. His Laundry Files series is quite good, and his standalone novels never fail to deliver.

I totally agree with you regarding ACC, and I'll definitely check out this Black Holes film.

Tags
battery life, koa2