Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #316
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Sweet! Did you get a case or sleeve with it?
I was planning on ebay but said what the hell and got the amazon branded leather purple case at bestbuy. Purple looks good next to the white
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #317
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
Clawdia, I was very unhappy with the battery life when I first bought my Oasis. I was using the auto back light mode. I went to the extreme of testing the battery life under the conditions Amazon specifies battery life (a very early post in this topic). Amazingly they met the spec. The key was changing the light from Auto to 10. There is a direct correlation between light setting and battery life. WiFi on also had an impact, but less than light.
Since I lowered my light settings I have been ok with battery life, especially since the larger screen was the big lure for me.
So bottom line is they technically meet the spec, but I think the advertised battery life is misleading if you expect to take advantage of all of the features. I wish they had opted for a larger battery & met the spirit of their claims. I never tested my old Paperwhite or Oasis I, but that was because I never had a bad experience leading me to question battery life.
Hopefully Amazon is listening and will make major improvements to the Oasis III !
Cheers, Joe
During the honeymoon period of the new device you tend to play around using more battery life as well, just checking the battery level will use battery as it need some to draw in on the screen.
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #318
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
I have a Voyage but am considering getting an Oasis. My only concern is battery life. On my Voyage, I'm having to recharge the battery at least every other day - then again, I do read several hours a day with a rather large font which requires frequent page turning. I'm afraid that the battery on my Voyage may not have a long life expectancy due to being charged so often, and afraid of running into the same problem with one of the new Oasis models. It hasn't escaped my notice that many people are unhappy with the battery life on the Oasis to begin with, and if I'm going to end up with a device that has a battery life expectancy of only one to two years, it seems I'd be paying too much for too little.

Am I wandering down a garden path, or is it a reasonable concern that I have about the life expectancy of a frequently charged battery?

I have to charge once a week or once every week and a half. 10 light level that is recommended to me is too dark. I read with light level 12 to 16 and at least an hour a day on some days a little less or a little more. I try to keep wifi and bluetooth off. I only turn it on to sync my devices. I think if you discharge the battery 100% then recharge it is better for the battery
Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #319
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I think if you discharge the battery 100% then recharge it is better for the battery
This is not so. Fully discharging a lithium battery is a very, very bad idea. Frequent top-ups are much better for the battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #320
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is not so. Fully discharging a lithium battery is a very, very bad idea. Frequent top-ups are much better for the battery.
I agree frequent top offs are better for all devices. However I did let my battery discharge to about 2% on my Oasis 2. I had a problem with a 5% loss of battery immediately after a full charge of 100% , it would lose 4-5 % before I read more than a paragraph. After discharging the battery to 2% and recharging to 100%. I no longer saw the 5% drop when I started reading. It seemed to have corrected the initial drop in percentage. Otherwise everything else is the same. Also I did this after using it for a while and it wasn't stuck in indexing or any, for some reason it worked.

Last edited by Wearever; 03-19-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #321
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have a Voyage but am considering getting an Oasis. My only concern is battery life. On my Voyage, I'm having to recharge the battery at least every other day - then again, I do read several hours a day with a rather large font which requires frequent page turning. I'm afraid that the battery on my Voyage may not have a long life expectancy due to being charged so often, and afraid of running into the same problem with one of the new Oasis models. It hasn't escaped my notice that many people are unhappy with the battery life on the Oasis to begin with, and if I'm going to end up with a device that has a battery life expectancy of only one to two years, it seems I'd be paying too much for too little.

Am I wandering down a garden path, or is it a reasonable concern that I have about the life expectancy of a frequently charged battery?
The reading light level on the Oasis 2 makes a big difference. I have been reading on the same light level with my Voyage and Oasis 2. Anywhere between 11 and 15. I read mostly at night also so I'm using the light. The recommended light level for the Oasis 2 is 10 or under. I found I use up the battery faster than those who can read at 10 or under. Keeping the 12 LED's lit draws more power the higher you go.

What light level you read on your Voyage would be the same on the Oasis 2.

Last edited by Wearever; 03-19-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #322
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
What light level you read on your Voyage would be the same on the Oasis 2.
My experience differs from yours: I find that the light on my Oasis is brighter at a given number than with the same setting on my Voyage. I typically read in the evening with the light level around 10-12 on the Voyage, but get the same level of illumination with the light set to about 7-8 on the Oasis.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #323
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
My experience differs from yours: I find that the light on my Oasis is brighter at a given number than with the same setting on my Voyage. I typically read in the evening with the light level around 10-12 on the Voyage, but get the same level of illumination with the light set to about 7-8 on the Oasis.
That's good to know, for some reason both screens on my Voyage and Oasis look the same as far as light level. If anything the Voyage looks slightly brighter than the Oasis. I could probably meet the level 10 light barrier on the Voyage. I'll try it when I get home. I have tried level 10 on the Oasis several times and it's just too dark for me to read comfortably on. Too bad.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #324
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
On my voyage I always had the light level at 10, and on my Oasis it is at 8. I do not use the auto lighting at all I just set my light level and leave it a lone.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #325
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
That's good to know, for some reason both screens on my Voyage and Oasis look the same as far as light level. If anything the Voyage looks slightly brighter than the Oasis.
Yet more evidence of the well-attested fact that individual Kindle differ notably in light brightness.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #326
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It depends.

Do you keep wifi on or off?

What light brightness do you usually use.

You might need fewer page turns per hour because of the larger screen, but depending on your answers to the above questions and random chance, you might end up disappointed with the new Oasis.
I keep wifi off unless I'm downloading a book. I don't keep a lot of books on my Kindle and don't do collections - I keep books I haven't read yet on the Kindle and that's about all.

I keep brightness at about a 15, depending on how much my eyes are bothering me on any given day - I had cataract surgery almost five years ago, and I'm one of those in the 1% or fewer of patients who don't get a great result from the procedure(s), so combined with a severe case of dry eyes, an ereader is the only way I can read these days, and since it's such an important part of my life I always want what seems best at the time. I use a size 9 font bolded to a level 4. I don't use auto-brightness.

I'm not particularly in the mood to be disappointed over something that costs $250.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #327
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I keep wifi off unless I'm downloading a book. I don't keep a lot of books on my Kindle and don't do collections - I keep books I haven't read yet on the Kindle and that's about all.

I keep brightness at about a 15, depending on how much my eyes are bothering me on any given day - I had cataract surgery almost five years ago, and I'm one of those in the 1% or fewer of patients who don't get a great result from the procedure(s), so combined with a severe case of dry eyes, an ereader is the only way I can read these days, and since it's such an important part of my life I always want what seems best at the time. I use a size 9 font bolded to a level 4. I don't use auto-brightness.

I'm not particularly in the mood to be disappointed over something that costs $250.
If you keep brightness at 15, I think that you would likely be disappointed with 7" Oasis battery life. It might be best to stick with your Voyage.

You might also consider whether charging the Oasis every day would work for you. I don't think it would run down completely in a long day's read, but getting though a second long day's read might be iffy.

Are you only getting 2 days from your voyage because the battery is old and worn? I retract the charge Oasis every day advice. I think you are correct that you would wear out the Oasis battery before you felt you got your money's worth.

Maybe a new Voyage is best for you.

Last edited by j.p.s; 03-19-2018 at 06:03 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@Clawdia Why buy a new Voyage when you can get the battery replaced? NewPower99 can sell a battery for the Voyage with the tools needed for $33.95 plus, there is a video on changing the battery. All you have to do is change the battery or find someone who can do it for you.

https://www.newpower99.com/Kindle_Vo...le-voyage-.htm
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #329
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Really? I do not know where I heard fully discharging was bad. I read it someplace i suppose
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #330
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Yet more evidence of the well-attested fact that individual Kindle differ notably in light brightness.
They do. I had both my Voyage and Oasis 2 side by side last night to compare the light level. They looked the same again. I also added my husbands Voyage to the line up. My Voyage has a whiter screen and his has a slightly darker screen. They were both purchased within a couple months of each other. I can read on both no problem. I did put both Voyages on light level 10, and found I couldn't read at 10 on either one. Just like the Oasis. I still need to go up to 11.

That one level up made all the difference on all 3 devices. I read on 11 at night so that's most of my reading time.

Tags
battery life, koa2