Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #91
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I don't see settings on my laptop. I went into control panel and found devices where my Echo is listed as paired (there is an icon along with printers and other devices). Can't find the bluetooth manager on the laptop any more (that was where I orginally connected it. Now that it is one of my devices, I don't see how to connect. I clicked on the Echo icon but nothing happens.

I have also right-clicked on the icon. That shows the options, including removing the device, create shortcut, properties and troubleshoot. When I click on troubleshoot it doesn't find anything.

To clarify, my laptop says settings at the top and then control panel, personalization, PC info and help. I've gone into control panel and can see devices (including the Echo) on the devices screen. If I tap on that, nothing happens. It doesn't have a way to choose a speaker, and it plays audio from my laptop with the built-in laptop speaker.
I don't own a bluetooth-capable Windows PC, so I can't provide much help to solve your problem. In addition to the laptop showing that Echo is paired, you need to say to Echo "Alexa, connect" or "Alexa, pair." Did you do that?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #92
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
I just received a feature update email from the Amazon Echo Team:

Quote:
Dear Amazon Customer,

We hope you're enjoying Echo. We're working hard to add many of the features you've asked for, and we would like to update you on two new features.

Voice control for Spotify, iTunes, and Pandora: You can now enjoy hands-free voice control for these popular music services. To get started, simply connect your phone or tablet to Echo by saying "Alexa, pair my device." After you start playing your music, you can easily control it by saying the wake word and: play, pause, stop, next, or previous.

Simon Says: You've likely heard some of Echo's jokes—now there's another way to have fun with Echo. You can get Echo to repeat whatever you have in mind by starting with "Alexa, Simon says…" Here's a fun tip: you can covertly use the remote control from another room to get Echo to repeat what you say and surprise your family.

In addition to these new features, we've made numerous improvements based on your feedback. We have increased response speed and accuracy for many of your questions, expanded coverage of facts from Wikipedia, and added new spelling words and definitions. The companion app is now available on iOS and Android 5.0+, and you can now use the app to bulk delete items from your to-do and shopping lists. And we are just getting started.

Thanks for your feedback so far, it’s been immensely helpful. Keep sharing your thoughts on what else we can do to make Echo even better—you can always provide feedback through the Echo app.

The Amazon Echo Team
Finally, my iTunes collection can be properly integrated -- hopefully...
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #93
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemc View Post
Finally, my iTunes collection can be properly integrated -- hopefully...
I don't have iTunes music myself, but I know a lot of Echo owners have wanted this new feature. Does it work well?
Old 02-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #94
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I don't have iTunes music myself, but I know a lot of Echo owners have wanted this new feature. Does it work well?
Actually it works no different than before with iTunes - a slightly smart, voice activated bluetooth speaker. I got excited when I read the email and posted the text before not finding anything really new.

I love my Echo, but I'm with tubemonkey - I want some more integrated apps for it.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #95
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Out of the blue today my Echo said "Bluetooth Connected" and it was connected to my laptop. For over a week, the PC and Devices page didn't have bluetooth in the list but now it does. Not sure what changed it, but I'd just downloaded new version of itunes (the last one was terrible and kept freezing), restarted the laptop and that is when she announced it was connected.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #96
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Out of the blue today my Echo said "Bluetooth Connected" and it was connected to my laptop. For over a week, the PC and Devices page didn't have bluetooth in the list but now it does. Not sure what changed it, but I'd just downloaded new version of itunes (the last one was terrible and kept freezing), restarted the laptop and that is when she announced it was connected.
Glad it's working again, and I hope you have no further problems connecting.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Echo Review: Talking Helper Alexa Is No Match for Siri

Quote:
Walk into my living room and say, “Alexa, play NPR.” In seconds, you’ll be listening to Ira Glass.

Say, “Alexa, do I need an umbrella?” A female voice with rounded, vaguely Canadian vowels responds, “No rain is expected in San Francisco today.”
Quote:
But spend a little more time with Alexa, and the dream of a virtual assistant in a bottle begins to fizzle. “Alexa, can you give me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies?” I asked. “Sorry, I didn’t understand the question I heard,” she said. “How long will it take to drive to the office?” She couldn’t answer that, either.

In fact, what Alexa can’t answer far outweighs what she can, so her novelty wears off fast.

The Amazon Echo has a few good ideas about how voice control might be useful in our homes. But I can’t recommend the Echo to more than the curious. (Amazon makes customers join a waitlist to buy an Echo, and doesn’t let owners post reviews.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	virt asst.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	134498  
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #98
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Can you say "BETA"?
That's okay, I still want mine!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 AM   #99
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
It's still working! When I log into my laptop, the Echo announces that it is connected.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #100
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Re the comment "Amazon makes customers join a waitlist to buy an Echo, and doesn’t let owners post reviews," I had been wondering about the lack of reviews. I thought perhaps there was something beyond the splash page that I just hadn't found yet, but apparently not.

I've pretty much decided to cancel. My ship date is still three months away, though, so there's no hurry.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #101
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My sister's first use of my Echo was to ask the meaning of life. Funny response the first time. Very shortened after that.

Honestly beyond the bluetooth speaker use (which I use for the audiobooks), I am listening to a lot more of my music AND I know what day of the week it is far more often than not. If you don't have a daily job or school to go to, or appointments, you'd be amazed how easy it is to forget the day of the week.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #102
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My sister's first use of my Echo was to ask the meaning of life. Funny response the first time. Very shortened after that.
Alexa's response:
Spoiler:
Forty-two (which is the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything" in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Quote:
...AND I know what day of the week it is far more often than not. If you don't have a daily job or school to go to, or appointments, you'd be amazed how easy it is to forget the day of the week.
That's for sure!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I got my Echo today and I'm very impressed with the quality of sound. She is however very loud so if you live in an apartment you might want to learn quickly how to keep it down. Right now I have her on volume setting 2.

Is there any way to get her play a Genre from your music library?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #104
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Try "Alexa, play rock music," "Alexa, play country music," "Alexa, play classical music," etc.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #105
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Alexa - Amazon Music Genre Rock

...it's hit and miss for me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote