Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
So it's a matter of our western age/youth-obsessed culture directly colliding with our puritanical posturing.
I think that's applicable to a lot more situations than just the one under discussion here, and in some countries more than others.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That's the art style: Many manga and anime characters have big dewy eyes, dual-gender faces and childlike Caucasian features even though they supposed to be Japanese adults.

They look "like children" to most Americans and Europeans because Western art reserves a lot of those cartoon features for children; Japanese animation doesn't limit the drawing style the same way.
In some cases it is just that, but in other cases the 'virtual' children depicted are 'actually' underage, and stated to be so in the manga.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
So it's a matter of our western age/youth-obsessed culture directly colliding with our puritanical posturing.

Are the stories in this particular genre written toward an adult female audience or are they written more for what I would refer to as YA/ young adult, or mid-teens?
I think it's not a matter of PURITANICAL culture, so much as LITIGOUS culture. Amazon probably passed this stuf by their lawyers who advised them to do the prudent thing and pull the account.

Confusus say:

" Company with deepest pockets make biggest lawsuit target. "

I wonder why the account was restored. Did they drop the raci-est titles?

Last edited by stonetools; 03-17-2012 at 03:25 PM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I wonder why the account was restored. Did they drop the raci-est titles?
Far as I know, they didn't drop anything. Amazon did get a big backlash from customers wanting to know why explicit gay content was being banned, but explicit het content of the same type was not. Also, plenty of people wrote to them asking exactly which part of the TOS they had violated.

I have found that some bureaucracies will indeed cave to customer demands rather than explain the rules to them. They'd rather allow an exception than publicize their own hypocrisy.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #20
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I'm not certain it involved a 'huge' backlash, there are no numbers to substantiate DMP's claim. And it's pretty clear from this thread that issue is most likely not homosexuality itself, but the age of the depicted participants. DMP chose to not mention all the facts.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I'm just happy that B&N apparently kept the titles up and didn't leap onto the censorship wagon.

Amazon, in my opinion, should stick to the legal guidelines for their various stores and stay away from vague "moral guidelines". But that's my opinion.

Frankly, if they're that concerned, I wish they'd make it easier to filter out the erotica titles when browsing all the new Kindle titles for the week. I can't browse the Kindle store (or B&N, to be fair) at work anymore because the cover images are explicit enough to by NSFW.

How hard would it be to allow a user modification saying, for example, "Never show me Erotica titles nor Christian Romance nor Paranormal YA." Or whatever. I think not hard at all, but I'm a programmer and not a marketing major so what do I know.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote