Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Kindle collection plugin for Calibre

Has anyone successfully used the Calibre plugin to generate collections for their Kindle? I've read the instructions, but can't figure out how to actually make the plugin work. Is someone willing to hold my hand through the process?

Thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Ohhhhhh, didn't know about this. Something I need to look into. I like collections. But such a pain in the ass to set up on the kindle.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Sure - but I think its best if you post in the plugin's thread. I know its long, but it keeps everything together : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Sure - but I think its best if you post in the plugin's thread. I know its long, but it keeps everything together : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118635
oh, ok - I'll go over there and see what I can figure out. (and now I have to tag some 800 books with tags indicating what collection I want them to go into... *sigh* - I really wasn't very good with this when I first started using Calibre.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
oh, ok - I'll go over there and see what I can figure out. (and now I have to tag some 800 books with tags indicating what collection I want them to go into... *sigh* - I really wasn't very good with this when I first started using Calibre.
Just post the same question and I'll try to answer.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
If you use calibre and want simple genres like the ones on goodreads and have books which are actually put to genres on that page you could do a lot automatically using goodreads metadata plug in. It can download genres as tags. Works great for things like - historical, contemporary, short, sci-fi etc.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Has anyone successfully used the Calibre plugin to generate collections for their Kindle? I've read the instructions, but can't figure out how to actually make the plugin work. Is someone willing to hold my hand through the process?

Thanks!
I tried using the collections plug-in to put daily news DLs into a specific collection on my DXG but haven't been able to get it to work. I tag the DLs automatically and they show up in Calibre with the right tags but they don't go into a collection on the Kindle.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool er...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
I tried using the collections plug-in to put daily news DLs into a specific collection on my DXG but haven't been able to get it to work. I tag the DLs automatically and they show up in Calibre with the right tags but they don't go into a collection on the Kindle.
my understanding is that you must reboot the kindle each time you make a change in collections. i don't use collections though, so it's just something i picked up from reading these forums.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Yes, you have to do a reset afterwards, or the new collections will not show up.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Ugh, same here. I was updating the descriptions manually but thankfully realized Calibre could pull metadata for me-- awesome!-- but it pulled in so many tags that I think the collections it generated would just be a mess. I'm working on manually tagging them now (~700 books), then will give the collections a try. Fingers crossed!
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Now that I have set up all my collections directly on my Kindle, now when I add a book, I just add it to Collections directly on my Kindle, then I "import" the collections into Calibre............kind of the other way around, or backwards, from what others are doing.

Now if you already have 100's of book on the Kindle w/ no collections specified, that's a different problem.

Bottom line, I've had problems pushing collections to the Kindle; I've never had any problems "pulling" collections into Calibre from the Kindle.

markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
KKCM

It is sooooooo easy to do your collections with the ONLY Kindle collection manager that I have found to work, the Kranf Kindle Collection Manager.

Just dl it and watch the video online, and Bob's your uncle. Well, actually, he's my uncle, but you get the idea. I have over three thousand books on my Kindle and I use the KKCM at least twice a week.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
iansoady
Enthusiast
iansoady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I've used the Calibre plugin successfully but will try the Kranf one.

What I really want however is to create multiple sets of collections so I can organise and view the 900+ books on my Kindle in different ways simultaneously. So for example, collections by author, by genre, by period (current / early 20th century,, classic etc).... There seems no way to do this.
iansoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
It is sooooooo easy to do your collections with the ONLY Kindle collection manager that I have found to work, the Kranf Kindle Collection Manager.
Time to get a new pony. The one trick your current pony knows is getting old.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
drdann
Connoisseur
drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drdann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I use it all the time... works like a charm... one trick I use is the following plugboard, to name the file and then when i view alpha by name, it is sorted by the series order... really makes it nice to have series books in a collection for each one. (I have my collections by series, even if a particular author does not write 'series' books, I use the authors name for the series, and then year.month as the series_index).

plugboard is :

{series_index:0>3s} - {title}

destination TITLE
drdann is offline   Reply With Quote