Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
abijah
Enthusiast
abijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with others

Device: kobo aura h2o
Post Pocketbook bluetooth file transfer from pc

Do you want to send files from your computer to your pocketbook without using a cable?
Even though our pro 902 is both wifi and bluetooth enabled, it is still very difficult for some of us to transfer files to our device without a cable.

I have been trying all means just to do that. Unfortunately,the wifi option is unlikely due to the inconvenience to insert a website address. The bluetooth connection is the only choice left. However, the device only supports obex service, which means right click on a file and click sending via bt is not going to work.

Therefore, we have to send file with the obex service. This function is common in most mobile phones but not laptops. To work this out, I tried several softwares, and finally, I came to obex commander: which is ideal for the task.

All I want to say is, if you have the same problem, maybe this software will save you some time...

Last edited by abijah; 08-07-2011 at 09:29 AM.
abijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by abijah View Post
Therefore, we have to send file with the obex service. This function is common in most mobile phones but not laptops. To work this out, I tried several softwares, and finally, I came to obex commander: which is idea for the task.
ah, this sounds very interesting: do you have a link for the one you use?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
abijah
Enthusiast
abijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with othersabijah plays well with others

Device: kobo aura h2o
Post more details on bluetooth transfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
ah, this sounds very interesting: do you have a link for the one you use?
Nice to see you are also interested. Here is more details:
source website:http://intradarma.com/OBEXCommander.html
( The download button is on the left top. Then you are asked to rate the software which is nonsense as you never used it before but you still have to do it. two more clicks and you get the software.)

Settings:
1. enable the bluetooth of pocketbook and pc.

2. open the software and click the connect icon.

there you choose the connection type and your device should show up in the box. choose your device and in the box "connect to service" pick "object push"(only object push works with pro 902).

pair your device and connect.

3.If the device is successfully connected, try to drag files from your computer. To copy files from computer is almost the same as to copy files from one disk to another.

Note:The typical transfer speed is 40KB/s. So if you want to transfer files of large size (say, 10MB,takes 4min!), it is better not to do it this way.

ENABLED BLUETOOTH WILL SOON DRAIN YOUR BATTERY!! less than one day, you will need to charge again if you do not turn it off.
I think bluetooth should not be such a battery consumer. There must be something we can do...
abijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
pbmaniac
Enthusiast
pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PB Pro 903, F/W 2.1.3=>downgraded to 2.1.2-fastdrv because of WIFI-bug
Thanks for the great tip, abijah!

Since the whole connecting and disconnecting of the USB cable is damn nasty (for example when programming) if you have to do it several times in a row, the solution you've pointed out is great. Will use this program a lot now.

Yes, Bluetooth drains the battery more than USB, but using the wifi option of the device consumes even more power, if we can trust this chart:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi

BTW, you don't have to rate the program, you can just click on the download button on the left to the rating button.
pbmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
ENABLED BLUETOOTH WILL SOON DRAIN YOUR BATTERY!! less than one day, you will need to charge again if you do not turn it off.
I think bluetooth should not be such a battery consumer. There must be something we can do...
It's easy! Just keep your reader hooked up with the USB cable while you're doing this.

rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
pbmaniac
Enthusiast
pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'pbmaniac knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PB Pro 903, F/W 2.1.3=>downgraded to 2.1.2-fastdrv because of WIFI-bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It's easy! Just keep your reader hooked up with the USB cable while you're doing this.

LOL!
pbmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nice to see you are also interested. Here is more details:
( The download button is on the left top. Then you are asked to rate the software which is nonsense as you never used it before but you still have to do it. two more clicks and you get the software.)
thank you very much: I'll try this tomorrow (travelling now).
Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
paola
Wizard

abijah, it works! thanks and karma
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Here is more details:
OpenOBEX
Since the link above is for Windows systems only, here is another one for Linux and UNIX-like systems: http://dev.zuckschwerdt.org/openobex/wiki/ObexDownloads

You are supposed to compile the code yourself. I didn't try it (yet), but the instructions in the INSTALL file do not raise any questions, so it should be fairly easy. When I 've got some extra time I 'll give it a try in a few weeks.

Regs,
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekvb View Post
When I 've got some extra time I 'll give it a try in a few weeks.
I was too curious to wait that long, so here's my installation and test of the OBEX filesystem, OBEX FTP-tools and libraries on Fedora Linux Core 13 with a Gnome desktop.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that the OBEX toolkit was already submitted to the yum repository, so compiling code won't be necessary.

[root@nets ~]# yum search obex
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
=============================== Matched: obex ====
obexfs.i686 : FUSE based filesystem using ObexFTP
obexftp.i686 : Tool to access devices via the OBEX protocol
obexftp-devel.i686 : Header files and libraries for obexftp
obexftp-libs.i686 : Shared libraries for obexftp
openobex.i686 : Library for using OBEX
openobex-apps.i686 : Applications for using OBEX
openobex-devel.i686 : Files for development of applications which will use OBEX
osso-gwobex.i686 : Obex helper library
osso-gwobex-devel.i686 : Development files for osso-gwobex
perl-obexftp.i686 : Perl library to access devices via the OBEX protocol
python-obexftp.i686 : Python library to access devices via the OBEX protocol
ruby-obexftp.i686 : Ruby library to access devices via the OBEX protocol
gvfs-obexftp.i686 : ObexFTP support for gvfs
obex-data-server.i686 : D-Bus service for Obex access
obexd.i686 : D-Bus service for Obex Client access
gnome-user-share.i686 : Gnome user file sharing

After installing these packages, you may enable the Bluetooth-service, and in the meantime you should off course have activated Bluetooth on your PocketBook device.
A Bluetooth icon now has appeared on your Linux desktop, and by clicking on it you 'll be able to setup, manage and scan for bluetooth devices in the vecinity.
After half a minute or so, the PocketBook device is found and it's MAC address is shown. You can choose to connect and "pair" with your PocketBook device and send files to it through Nautilus file- and networkmanager.
When you inspect the file transfer on the other side at the PocketBook device, you 'll find that the sent-files automagically end up into the root of the Device, thus not onto the SD Card.

Though this is a Fedora specific setup, I assume that the setup on other Linux flavours like CentOS, RedHat or Ubuntu, will be likewise trivial.

Regards, Kuba

Last edited by jekvb; 08-09-2011 at 03:14 PM.
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote