Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Secure Mobipocket" is the name of the format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
<i>Ehrm, I'm sorry but my mother and my sister do re-read them and I know many more people who do. I also read them but not re-read them which isn't strange since I never re-read a book of any genre... (good memory + bored easily...)</i>

It really depends on the book, but yes, I re-read some Harlequin books that I bought, oh, 10 years ago.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This should be a boon to reader sales, mostly because it is pulling the readers out of the "geek" universe and into the mainstream. When it's not just "those Star Wars nuts" asking for e-books at the stores, but regular (and frequent) mainstream-reading customers, the stores will take notice.

And when those mainstream customers take a break from reading romance novels and start asking "Where's your NYT bestsellers?" there will be even more notice.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 AM   #19
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Secure Mobipocket" is the name of the format.
Mweh, I call it 'Unsecure Mobipocket' these days... hehe, sorry, couldn't help myself and yes I know you are 100% right....
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Steve, don't you think most of the NYT books are available in ebook format? It seems to me that its the mid list authors that we need to see in ebook format.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
... and the back-lists!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Steve, don't you think most of the NYT books are available in ebook format? It seems to me that its the mid list authors that we need to see in ebook format.
Well, I admit I've never checked, so I don't know. As you pointed out, many authors may be resistant to releasing their books as e-texts, so I expected that not all NYT bestsellers would necessarily be e-books.

On the other hand... the observation stands, because if I don't know if NYT bestsellers are available in e-books, a bookstore clerk might not know, either... and the growth of e-book readers will prompt more such questions.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 09-24-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
... and the back-lists!
Which may be beginning to happen. But it leads to a thorny question.

Currently, when an author sells a book to a publisher, the publisher's rights last as long as the book is in print. If the publisher permits the book to go out of print, the author may request the that rights revert, and attempt to resell the title elsewhere.

eBooks and print-on-demand raise the question of what is meant by "out of print", and current contracts are being structured to include a combination of print sales, PoD sales, and ebook sales to make the determination.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Which may be beginning to happen. But it leads to a thorny question.
I agree, but it's a market question, with a market solution. Book contracts will shift and twitch for a while and then settle back in around some kind of "norm". Authors and agents are already paying attention to e-rights. They have been since Tasini v. NYTimes. They'll just have to do some tweaking to the rights reversion clause. Personally, I don't think anything makes sense but a strict time limit for e-rights.

Print rights have a built-in milestone that the publisher has to cross to keep a book in print, that being another print run. That milestone requires a certain level of commitment from the publisher. E-rights don't have one, and the old phrases like "substantial effort to promote and sell the book" just don't make sense in e-.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some of my favourite authors, eg R.F.Delderfield, appear to have none of their books available as e-Books. Very irritating.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #26
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I agree, but it's a market question, with a market solution. Book contracts will shift and twitch for a while and then settle back in around some kind of "norm". Authors and agents are already paying attention to e-rights. They have been since Tasini v. NYTimes. They'll just have to do some tweaking to the rights reversion clause.
Which is what's been happening.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think anything makes sense but a strict time limit for e-rights.

Print rights have a built-in milestone that the publisher has to cross to keep a book in print, that being another print run. That milestone requires a certain level of commitment from the publisher. E-rights don't have one, and the old phrases like "substantial effort to promote and sell the book" just don't make sense in e-.
It won't be a strict time limit alone. Sales will also factor into it. If the book is selling well in an electronic edition, you don't want the rights to magically lapse because the time limit has expired.

Publisher commitment can take the form of attempts to promote the ebook to the intended audience, with success measured by sales.
______
Dennis
Old 09-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
If the book is selling well in an electronic edition, you don't want the rights to magically lapse because the time limit has expired.
Oh, yes I do. I want them coming back to me or my agent and saying "Please, sir. I want some more."
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Oh, yes I do. I want them coming back to me or my agent and saying "Please, sir. I want some more."
Assuming they even know they need to.

Years back, I attended a talk by Dave Hartwell, who is currently a Senior Editor at Tor. At the time, he was consulting for Signet/NAL, working on their SF line. He described taking seven months to dwetermine who Signet had under contract for waht, and five more months dotting Is, crossing Ts, and making sure various rights were renewed. At that, Signet lost some properties because they'd forgotten they had the rights, but the author or agent hadn't, and sent the reversion request quite promptly as soon as rights lapsed.

I haven't seen much indication things have changed.
______
Dennis
Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #29
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Harlequin also seems to "get it". They're including both MobiPocket and Sony formats, and the e-books will be "priced slightly lower" than the paper versions.
Ever been to a used book store? What's one of the largest sections? That's right - Romance Novels.

So today, person reads romance novels. Brings bag of read novels to used bookstore. Gets a couple bucks for them. But here's the important part: picks up another bag of used romance novels for pennies on the dollar. Reads them. Brings them back to the used book store. Repeat as needed.

Tomorrow, the proposal is:
Reader spend $300+ to buy an eBook reader.
Reader spends almost full price for the eBook version, then throws them away.
Reader cannot buy the eBooks used. Reader cannot trade them in.

Doesn't seem like Harlequin "gets" anything.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Ever been to a used book store? What's one of the largest sections? That's right - Romance Novels.

So today, person reads romance novels. Brings bag of read novels to used bookstore. Gets a couple bucks for them. But here's the important part: picks up another bag of used romance novels for pennies on the dollar. Reads them. Brings them back to the used book store. Repeat as needed.
In the used book stores I know, the only thing you can do with Harlequin Romances is exchange them for other Harlequin Romances. They have no cash value.

Quote:
Tomorrow, the proposal is:
Reader spend $300+ to buy an eBook reader.
Reader spends almost full price for the eBook version, then throws them away.
Reader cannot buy the eBooks used. Reader cannot trade them in.

Doesn't seem like Harlequin "gets" anything.
So why should any publisher issue ebook versions given that assumption?
______
Dennis