Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2022, 07:59 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
The only one I use is the kepub/epub font size fix but I can wait on those. (Of course, it helps that I'm not reading any epubs at the moment.)
I use about 20, of which 4-5 are absolutely indispensable (custom font sizes, custom line spacing, unified font sizes for kepub/epub, advanced settings for sideloaded fonts and - for epubs on my Libra 2 - reducing top/bottom margins, which are too large in epubs (on the Sage I only have kepubs).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:00 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nice.

I will update when the patches are out. Can't do without them.
+1
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2022, 08:06 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I upgraded my Clara. Side-loaded fonts now have Advanced features in ePubs without plugins (I should have said "patches" not "plugins" — sorry for any confusion). (Or has it always been that way?) But what's a little odd is that the Font Face and Preview no longer show the side-loaded font you've got loaded — though it works fine when you get back to your page. (EDIT: This is in Advanced Settings, which didn't work with ePubs for side-loaded fonts at all before — without plugins anyhow.) (EDIT 2: Works right in KePubs for Preview — also there is now a slot for Supplemental fonts that I don't remember seeing before.)

Last edited by rcentros; 04-14-2022 at 09:37 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #19
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My first impression after testing 4.32 on my Libra 2,

tested using the method shown here, USB connections worked fine for Home menu, KEPUB and EPUB. It still uses lazy umount, so it does not look like a fundamental change, but at least nickel no longer blocks the filesytem with open filehandles as it used to do.

In 4.31 this only worked for me when connecting from within EPUB books. So now it also works for Home and KEPUB. So it should be an improvement, and things should work, as long as no other mods or addons block the filesystem either (which is still ignored as before).

However while testing USB connections, my Libra 2 also decided to be not detected at all and reboot upon unplugging the USB cable. This happened twice...

I've had reboot issues with my Libra 2 from day one. Basic reading works fine. But as soon as you try to do anything with it, things get frustrating very quickly. Not sure if my unit is defective, if I broke it attempting to remove the SD card, or if it's just an issue with this model in general.

Last edited by frostschutz; 04-14-2022 at 08:50 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
The patches are nearly finished. I just need to finish fixing "My 24 line spacing values" since some alignment changes required me to re-calculate the offsets and have completely messed up the last third of the slider.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Side-loaded fonts now have Advanced features in ePubs without plugins.
Yes, that's new in this version.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:34 PM   #22
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
I upgraded my Clara. Side-loaded fonts now have Advanced features in ePubs without plugins. (Or has it always been that way?) But what's a little odd is that the Font Face and Preview no longer show the side-loaded font you've got loaded — though it works fine when you get back to your page. (EDIT: This is in Advanced Settings, which didn't work with ePubs for side-loaded fonts at all before — without plugins anyhow.) (EDIT 2: Works right in KePubs for Preview — also there is now a slot for Supplemental fonts that I don't remember seeing before.)
I'm not aware of any applicable plugins that accomplish the task but there is a patch that does.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #23
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
(EDIT 2: Works right in KePubs for Preview — also there is now a slot for Supplemental fonts that I don't remember seeing before.)

Oooh, tell me more. Does that mean we can explicitly specify a fallback font for the times certain glyphs may not be included in the main font? Or does it do something different?
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:51 PM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
(EDIT: This is in Advanced Settings, which didn't work with ePubs for side-loaded fonts at all before — without plugins anyhow.) (EDIT 2: Works right in KePubs for Preview — also there is now a slot for Supplemental fonts that I don't remember seeing before.)
Not seeing an advanced settings for sideloaded kepubs on my Libra 2 on 4.32.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:55 PM   #25
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Thats a great change. No more spending a lot of money to find out it is only a short story.....

The target audience would be a welcome addition as well.

I only ever buy books from the website, I didn't realize the 'estimated time' feature there wasn't available on device until now.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:56 PM   #26
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
This is what I see on a sideloaded book:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220414_215324.jpg
Views:	1372
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	193232
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:05 PM   #27
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
This is what I see on a sideloaded book:

Attachment 193232
OMFG that's AMAZING!! It might finally be time to sideload Noto CJK...

Well, now that they moved much of the font logic to the fontickle binary, what would be super awesome would be if they gave us a way to set a default monospace font (and might as well do them all: serif, sans-serif, monospace, cursive, and fantasy, just like you can on Calibre's ebook viewer).

Definitely going to update once the patches are done, but is it really true that advanced font settings for sideloaded fonts by default only works with EPUBs and not KEPUBS without a patch?
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I'm not aware of any applicable plugins that accomplish the task but there is a patch that does.
Patch is what I meant. I'm sorry for the mistake. (EDIT: My mistake now noted in the original post.)

Last edited by rcentros; 04-14-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:48 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Definitely going to update once the patches are done, but is it really true that advanced font settings for sideloaded fonts by default only works with EPUBs and not KEPUBS without a patch?
No, it works with both. I thought that side-loaded fonts always had Advanced features in KePubs — maybe I'm wrong there?

EDIT: I may be confusing some of the Kobo features with Kindle features. If I am, I apologize.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:00 PM   #30
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
No, it works with both. I thought that side-loaded fonts always had Advanced features in KePubs — maybe I'm wrong there?

EDIT: I may be confusing some of the Kobo features with Kindle features. If I am, I apologize.
Advanced Settings don’t appear for me with kepub. To be clear the advanced settings are accessed via a button with “Advanced Settings” and allow you to change the weight of the font (you can also change the size but you can do this from the initial font screen).

You can also change the font from the advanced settings but only to the default fonts (I’ve not checked if this changes if you patch).

I’m not sure off hand if the fonts I’ve side loaded are otf or ttf, nor do I know if this would make a difference.

Edit apparently my Libra 2 was on 4.31. Odd since I swear I’d updated to 4.31 already, and upon a sync tonight it told me there was an update. It’s very peculiar since I’d patched using 4.31s update and patches which I’d not have thought would have had much affect on 4.30.

Maybe I’d downgraded at some point and don’t remember but I don’t have 4.30 patches on my computer and it was definitely patched. It also definitely updated because it’s now not patched. So I’m pretty perplexed. But at least this clears up why I’m not seeing advanced settings for kepub and you are.

Last edited by MGlitch; 04-14-2022 at 10:07 PM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release