Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #16
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
Hi Karellen, please check out the test version of WordDumb(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=275).
Hello @xxyzz
Thank you for the link. This only works on Kindle though, right? I use a Kobo Libra 2.

Regardless I will test it out on the next book I start (should be tomorrow or the day after) and will provide some feedback. I should be able to test in Kindle desktop and Kindle Previewer?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:17 PM   #17
xxyzz
Evangelist
xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The test version adds X-Ray footnotes to EPUB books. I don't have any Kobo device but the footnotes work fine on EPUB readers(calibre, apple books, foliate).

Last edited by xxyzz; 03-07-2022 at 10:30 PM.
xxyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2022, 10:58 PM   #18
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
The test version adds X-Ray footnotes to EPUB books. I don't have any Kobo device but the footnotes work fine on EPUB readers(calibre, apple books, foliate).
Great, thank you.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #19
Karellen
Wizard

Do any ereaders support the <abbr> tag?

I think this might be an easy way to achieve annotating characters.

I tried on the Kobo Libra 2, but didn't work, though works on calibre viewer and editor.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post

I tried on the Kobo Libra 2, but didn't work, though works on calibre viewer and editor.
Did you try it as a KePub (on your Libra 2) as that is ePub 3 compatible and may support <abbr>?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #21
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you try it as a KePub (on your Libra 2) as that is ePub 3 compatible and may support <abbr>?
No, I didn't try kebup. I tested with epub v3.

I don't use kepub, but out of curiosity I'll test the kepub.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:21 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No, I didn't try kebup. I tested with epub v3.

I don't use kepub, but out of curiosity I'll test the kepub.
Please let us know if it works or not. Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

I suspect it would be very poor, if anything...

<abbr> is meant for abbreviations... and MAYBE Text-to-Speech.

Code:
<p>The <abbr title="Federal Bureau of Investigation">FBI</abbr> is doing shady stuff.</p>
Visually, it would show "FBI"... but spoken, it might say "Federal Bureau of Investigation".

But it definitely has some serious issues + Accessibility concerns.

Instead, the text should be rewritten the first time like:

Code:
<p>The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is doing shady stuff.</p>
then afterwards, you can continue using the abbreviation throughout the text.

- - -

Side Note: Different browsers treat <abbr> completely differently too.

Some:
  • give it a dotted underline.
  • require a hover of the mouse.
    • Won't work on phones/touch/e-ink.
  • won't speak out title.
    • Text-to-Speech.
  • might speak it out twice.
    • For example, it might read abbreviation PLUS title.

For more info/discussion/tips, see:

- - -

Quote:
I didn't try to create an index, but from what little I read, it wasn't too far different (but probably a bit more work) than my current method of creating a Character Summary at the end of the book.
Like others have said, your best bet is probably generating an X-Ray file:
  • WordDumb is that most recent/easiest way to generate the files.
    • And it now "works" in EPUB too (as footnotes).
  • X-Ray Builder
    • Standalone Windows program. Lets you generate the specific Amazon X-Ray file. Only works for Kindles.

- - -

Side Note/Rant: I remember when "Game of Thrones" was getting ginormous, and Amazon was hyping up X-Ray so you can try to "keep track of all the characters".

or even some of the MR discussion over the years:

I don't know, I haven't been following it too closely over these years, but I thought it kind of fell off a rock.

(Like many of these "ebook enhancements" which fail to live up to the hype a few years later... like "Kindle in Motion" + many others!)

Although X-Ray might be one of those slightly more "successful" features...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-13-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #24
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please let us know if it works or not. Thanks.
Oops. This forum really needs ping notifications.

Sure. When I test I'll post here.
Hmm, converting to kepub doesn't seem to be a Calibre Convert Books option. I'll do a search on how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I suspect it would be very poor, if anything...

<abbr> is meant for abbreviations... and MAYBE Text-to-Speech.

Code:
<p>The <abbr title="Federal Bureau of Investigation">FBI</abbr> is doing shady stuff.</p>
Yep, I think you are right.
I was hoping that simply clicking on the underlined <abbr> text would bring up a balloon but I guess the ebook software developers don't think it has a use in ebooks.

I'll stick to my Character Summary at the end of the book. I create these as I read the book. (jump up from my reading chair, run to my pc, edit the new character into the ebook, back to reading in my chair...)

Thanks
Old 10-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #25
xxyzz
Evangelist
xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xxyzz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I guess you haven't tried the WordDumb plugin? It adds pop-up footnotes to EPUB books, exactly what you need.
xxyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:40 AM   #26
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
I'll stick to my Character Summary at the end of the book.
I put the dramatis personae, and glossary, at the front of an ebook.

I read them on Kindle, but I suspect this will work in most other readers (it does in iPad iBooks) : I select a name/word and one of the options I have is "Search", (in the book). Doing that the first hit is almost always in the dramatis personae/glossary, look at that and then use the "go back" shortcut to continue reading.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Oops. This forum really needs ping notifications.

Sure. When I test I'll post here.
Hmm, converting to kepub doesn't seem to be a Calibre Convert Books option. I'll do a search on how to do it.

Yep, I think you are right.
I was hoping that simply clicking on the underlined <abbr> text would bring up a balloon but I guess the ebook software developers don't think it has a use in ebooks.

I'll stick to my Character Summary at the end of the book. I create these as I read the book. (jump up from my reading chair, run to my pc, edit the new character into the ebook, back to reading in my chair...)

Thanks
IF it were for me, myself alone, which is my clear inference here, I would build a footnote, and then regex it to all instances of "Bob" or "FBI" or whomever. I would simply make it a footnote; most devices have popup footnotes today (and if not, you can jump and jump back) and that's it.

Do it once; then regex it into every instance of Bob, and well...Bob's-yer-uncle, more or less.

THAT, or do an index in the source material (Word, LO, etc.) and then import that thereas and use the index.

Offered solely FWIW, from someone who uses a LOT of annotated material in her work.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote